PDA

View Full Version : AB962 Mail order Possible ?

armandolo
10-02-2009, 9:21 AM
So say (God forbid) the governator does not veto this bill. Can't you send a notarized thumbprint to a online wendor and keep ordering still. I did not see anything in the bill that says you can't do that.

EBR Works
10-02-2009, 9:24 AM
Interesting idea but I seriously doubt that out of state vendors are going to be willing to play that game. Why don't you send an email or call Cabelas proposing this if the bill becomes law.

bulgron
10-02-2009, 9:30 AM
So say (God forbid) the governator does not veto this bill. Can't you send a notarized thumbprint to a online wendor and keep ordering still. I did not see anything in the bill that says you can't do that.

No, if this passes online sales of ammo to California will be effectively shutdown. The bill requires face-to-face transactions. So what you will be able to do is order online and have the ammo shipped to a gun store for the face-to-face part of it. This will naturally drive up the price of mail order ammo to the point where it won't be worth it.

If AB 962 passes, look for most serious shooters in California to travel to Oregon, Nevada and Arizona to buy their ammo. Also, there's nothing stopping you from asking your buddy who is going out of state to buy your ammo for you and bring it back. So those of us with pickups can expect to come back to California with a larger load than when we left.

There is a legal challenge being prepared for AB 962 if it doesn't get vetoed. Hopefully we'll be able to gut the no-internet-sales thing based on the interstate commerce clause. But even if it does get vetoed this year, know that this is the third year in a row that we've fought this turkey and there's little doubt that the people who are behind this will just keep trying and trying until they're successful. Sooner or later, we're going to have to fight this thing in court.

armandolo
10-02-2009, 9:37 AM
I see the point of the face to face. But here is my take.

1. When you call to order ammo, that with an assistance of the employees.
2. The vendor has a notarized copy of your thumbprint.
3. UPS delivers the ammo and signature/id is required (face to face transaction)

The bill does not state that its face to face with the vendor employee.

Dr Rockso
10-02-2009, 9:47 AM
If 962 gets enacted get an 03 FFL and a COE (easy and relatively cheap). That exempts one from the face-to-face requirement entirely.

dfletcher
10-02-2009, 9:52 AM
If 962 gets enacted get an 03 FFL and a COE (easy and relatively cheap). That exempts one from the face-to-face requirement entirely.

I think that's good in theory and I have those, I do hope you're right. But my bet is the good folks at Midway, CTD, Sportsmans Supply, etc won't even entertain this. These are the folks who wouldn't sell ammo to SSF because "it's in San Franciso" and won't sell a FAL stock or M1 carbine rear sight because they are "assault weapons" parts.

Maybe Grafs or Weidners will be helpful.

armandolo
10-02-2009, 9:52 AM
whats COE. Outdoor Marksman sells to SSF just fine. try them

BigDogatPlay
10-02-2009, 9:57 AM
While the idea of a notarized thumbprint on file is a good idea, I can't see any of the mail order vendors doing that.

Where in the bill is there an exemption for an 03 FFL with COE? I only see exemptions for those under 12071 (FFL 01) and 12083 (FFL 07). I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Dr Rockso
10-02-2009, 11:57 AM
While the idea of a notarized thumbprint on file is a good idea, I can't see any of the mail order vendors doing that.

Where in the bill is there an exemption for an 03 FFL with COE? I only see exemptions for those under 12071 (FFL 01) and 12083 (FFL 07). I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

(6) Persons licensed as collectors of firearms pursuant to Chapter
44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States
Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto whose licensed
premises are within this state who has a current certificate of
eligibility issued to him or her by the Department of Justice
pursuant to Section 12071.

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_0951-1000/ab_962_bill_20090921_enrolled.html