PDA

View Full Version : CCW application in Las Vegas took 25 minutes

Glock22Fan
10-02-2009, 7:47 AM
I was told to allow three to four hours to apply for a Nevada CCW in Las Vegas.

Got there at 9:00 on Friday. Out by 9:25, having been processed, fingerprinted and photographed. I think there was one other being processed in front of me, but I didn't see him (her?).

Then I went around the corner to register my firearms (doesn't have to be done if you are non-resident, but may make some officers a little happier if you have the blue card). That took about 30 minutes for three handguns.

tombinghamthegreat
10-02-2009, 8:16 AM
So i could just go to Las Vagas on the weekend and get a CCW within that day?

Uriah02
10-02-2009, 8:17 AM
now if only CA recognized NV CCWs I know where I'd be heading right now...

AndrewMendez
10-02-2009, 8:19 AM
I thought the entire issue with them dropping the Utah permit, was they required a live fire training scenario. I looked into it about 6 months ago, and thats what they had told me. Did it change?

Glock22Fan
10-02-2009, 8:31 AM
Sorry, I assumed most people knew that you first need to do, in Nevada, an eight hour course, which is mostly theory except that at some time during that day you will (hopefully) qualify with whatever firearms you wish to carry (the qualification is not difficult). You must qualify individually with each semi-automatic but qualifying with one revolver allows use of any revolver. (I'm not sure if qualifying with one semi auto allows use of another semi-auto of the same make and model).

Campbell Street, where you apply, is only open Mondays through Fridays, they open at 8:00 and close (I think) at 2:00. So, you really need to be up there for one day to do the course and another day to apply.

I did my course last month but couldn't get in to Campbell Street at that time, so Friday was just the application part, and that's the part that went much faster than expected.

AndrewMendez
10-02-2009, 8:33 AM
Sorry, I assumed most people knew that you first need to do, in Nevada, an eight hour course, which is mostly theory except that at some time during that day you will (hopefully) qualify with whatever firearms you wish to carry (the qualification is not difficult). You must qualify individually with each semi-automatic but qualifying with one revolver allows use of any revolver. (I'm not sure if qualifying with one semi auto allows use of another semi-auto of the same make and model).

Campbell Street, where you apply, is only open Mondays through Fridays, they open at 8:00 and close (I think) at 2:00. So, you really need to be up there for one day to do the course and another day to apply.

I did my course last month but couldn't get in to Campbell Street at that time, so Friday was just the application part, and that's the part that went much faster than expected.

Thanks!

Kid Stanislaus
10-02-2009, 8:50 AM
I continue to be puzzled by the desire to get a NV CCW. Do you spend a LOT of time in NV? If so, then it makes sense. Otherwise...................

Glock22Fan
10-02-2009, 9:23 AM
I continue to be puzzled by the desire to get a NV CCW. Do you spend a LOT of time in NV? If so, then it makes sense. Otherwise...................

I personally spend enough time passing through Nevada, often staying overnight to break the journey, and (separately) attending business meetings in Las Vegas (I'd far rather we went to Key West, or Hawaii, or even Podunk, but we have enough amateur gamblers and other employees who find Las Vegas exotic).

Last time I went on business, I ended up after a company function wandering through the old town looking for a cab at one o'clock in the morning. Believe you me, I would have felt more comfortable tooled up.

How much time in Nevada does it need to justify a CCW? How much time does it take for the three BG's to smash your head in?

I wish they still accepted the Utah permit, but they've stopped.

Your mileage may vary - that's your decision and I wouldn't criticize you for it. Please do me the likewise favor of knowing my own sense of values.