PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Brown.

nicki
10-02-2009, 2:56 AM
Jerry has been around for a long time.

Winston Churchill said that if you are young and you are not a liberal, then you have no heart.

When you get older, if you are not a conservative, you have no brain.

But there is a higher level of political wisdom than conservative or liberal, it is called LIBERTARIAN.

From what I hear Jerry Brown is leaning more Libertarian which makes him a great match for the Demographics of this state.

Jerry will be a major force in the Democratic party and his election is going to isolate the victim disarmament extremists.

Certain members of Calguns will probably be working with Jerry Brown if he gets elected and something tells me that means intelligence will rule in the Jerry Brown administration.

Nicki

bodger
10-02-2009, 5:22 AM
Let's hope so. Because the impression I get is that he is the best we've got if we want to vote for a 2A friendly candidate.

Aegis
10-02-2009, 8:03 AM
He seems to be the most pro-2A candidate running.

sorensen440
10-02-2009, 8:05 AM
He is far from my first choice but He does seem to be the best one at the moment

CharlieK
10-02-2009, 8:08 AM
He seems to be the most pro-2A candidate running.

I thought that Steve Poisner would be the most pro 2A. I have no particular evidence of that, just that he's fiscally conservative and strongly in support of lower taxes and minimal regulations. That, and the fact he's a Republican, leads me to believe he supports 2A. Anyone know for sure?

glockman19
10-02-2009, 8:10 AM
I plan on hosting at least one fundraiser for Jerry Brown.

Gray Peterson
10-02-2009, 8:23 AM
I thought that Steve Poisner would be the most pro 2A. I have no particular evidence of that, just that he's fiscally conservative and strongly in support of lower taxes and minimal regulations. That, and the fact he's a Republican, leads me to believe he supports 2A. Anyone know for sure?

Poizner is anti-gun.

Glock22Fan
10-02-2009, 8:25 AM
I can imagine better candidates than Jerry -

but I do not know of one at this time.

MrSlippyFist
10-02-2009, 8:26 AM
I am governor jerry brown my aura smiles and never frowns

Uriah02
10-02-2009, 8:36 AM
Is this the same Jerry Brown that was the mayor of San Fran for years way back in the day? If so, I'd require some recent evidence to support his change in attitude.

Decoligny
10-02-2009, 8:47 AM
Is this the same Jerry Brown that was the mayor of San Fran for years way back in the day? If so, I'd require some recent evidence to support his change in attitude.

How about the amicus brief he filed with the Supreme Court in favor of incorporation of the 2nd Amendment?

http://www.chicagoguncase.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/california_cert_stage.pdf

gef
10-02-2009, 8:49 AM
He was never mayor of SF that's the other brown.

MrSlippyFist
10-02-2009, 8:53 AM
Mayor of Oakland.

Fat_Rat
10-02-2009, 8:53 AM
How about the amicus brief he filed with the Supreme Court in favor of incorporation of the 2nd Amendment?

http://www.chicagoguncase.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/california_cert_stage.pdf

Yea but what other evidence do you have that he is not going to run the state into the ground. :confused:

Glock22Fan
10-02-2009, 8:55 AM

Whether he's the Brown you are thinking of or not, this Brown has produced quite a bit of recent evidence that he is more on our side than the other contenders. If you haven't seen any of it, I guess you don't read the threads in this section of the forum very often.

Not just the amicus brief, but he cut the legs off Iggy and Alison, leading to Iggy leaving and becoming an ordinary copper, and demoted their organization leading to less harassment of FFL's and gun owners - particularly OLL owners.

Yea but what other evidence do you have that he is not going to run the state into the ground.

What evidence do you have that the other candidates -- especially the ones that might have a chance of winning -- are not going to either? We have seen that having a RINO in that office doesn't do a lot in the face of the rest of the politicians in Sac.

sholling
10-02-2009, 9:01 AM
Jerry is crazy but smart and picks his fights carefully. He has one last shot at getting back in the Governor's office and he's fully aware that the far left leaning voters will vote for Feinstein if she runs - period. That means he needs to peel off centrist and conservative gays from Newsom and Feinstein with his position on position on Prop 8 (let's not get into that here) and the 2nd Amendment - it's his only chance to come close to her in the primary. But it's not enough to win. He knows that with the media lined solidly up behind Feinstein and her wealth that he will need a lot of traditional Republicans voters to cross the lines and re-register as Democrats or independents to help him in the Democratic primary - therefore he wraps himself in the 2nd Amendment. That's a brilliant tactical move.

Just don't mistake a brilliant tactical move with no longer being a liberal or a nut. He's both in spades. It's just that his issue has always been social welfare and the environment and stopping all development in its tracks. He's the one that called a halt to adding and maintaining infrastructure in California. As a practical politician he's just willing to trade what he sees as a side show (the 2nd Amendment) for the power to drive his real passion - draconian environmental regulations and a reversal of what he sees as too much growth in California.

Bottom line Jerry Brown is not the Messiah of Freedom, he's just (on the 2nd only) the lesser evil of all the evils that will be on the ballot. Look for every wacko environmental and anti growth regulation imaginable. I'll wait and see how the court cases play out before deciding who gets my vote.

chaled
10-02-2009, 9:02 AM
I am governor jerry brown my aura smiles and never frowns

...soon i will be prez-ah-dent. California Uber ales. DKs

Full Clip
10-02-2009, 9:07 AM
Let's not forget that Brown has already been the gov of our state... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Brown#Governorship)

FeuerFrei
10-02-2009, 9:13 AM
California is run by trial lawyers and big unions.
The only real power any governor has is the veto.
The choices we make will depend on the perspective governor's willingness to take the issues to the people directly via T.V. and radio.
We need real people in our legislature and not professional lawyers and their hacks making decisions for us.
BTW. I am old enough to remember California's first stint with "Brown Rot". We do not want to relive history.

Gator Monroe
10-02-2009, 9:26 AM
Let's hope so. Because the impression I get is that he is the best we've got if we want to vote for a 2A friendly candidate.

Don't drink the Koolaid , he will be sympathetec to the Innner city bloodbaths and for the sake of the State & Nation allow Lists & AWB's & any other draconian firearms restrictions that the State & US democrats deem needed to save the poor Children Diying in Oakland & South Central & Stockton & Santa Ana &...

Dr Rockso
10-02-2009, 9:27 AM
Yea but what other evidence do you have that he is not going to run the state into the ground. :confused:
I'm assuming that any candidate who is electable in CA will run the state further into the ground (which at this point requires a shovel).

Gator Monroe
10-02-2009, 9:50 AM
He is the Original kOOK in politics (They roasted him far more than Sarah Palin is being lambasted now back in the 70's when he was relevant.

BigDogatPlay
10-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Several thoughts....

** Feinstein ain't gonna run for governor.
** From the Democrat side a pragmatic Jerry Brown is far better across a wide range of issues than a statist zealot Gavin Newsom.
** On the Republican side none of the potential candidates are thought to be 2A friendly. Most have little or no public record on the matter other than snippets here and there.
- Steve Poizner has largely avoided saying very much about it, and it is widely assumed that he is not our friend.
- Tom Campbell's voting record in the House on 2A is very thin. He did vote no on a bill to decrease the NICS background check window at gun shows from 72 hours to 24. Again, there is a pretty broad assumption that he is no friend of ours.
- Meg Whitman, as CEO of EBay, presided over that company's contemptible practices over just about any firearms related item to the point that sellers of holsters have to put in paragraphs of disclaimers if they show their holster with a non-functional "blue gun" in it.

glockman19
10-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Several thoughts....

** From the Democrat side a pragmatic Jerry Brown is far better across a wide range of issues than a statist zealot Gavin Newsom.
** On the Republican side none of the potential candidates are thought to be 2A friendly. Most have little or no public record on the matter other than snippets here and there.
- Steve Poizner has largely avoided saying very much about it, and it is widely assumed that he is not our friend.
- Tom Campbell's voting record in the House on 2A is very thin. He did vote no on a bill to decrease the NICS background check window at gun shows from 72 hours to 24. Again, there is a pretty broad assumption that he is no friend of ours.
- Meg Whitman, as CEO of EBay, presided over that company's contemptible practices over just about any firearms related item to the point that sellers of holsters have to put in paragraphs of disclaimers if they show their holster with a non-functional "blue gun" in it.

Those are well thought out meaningful thoughts. I'll also add that Jerry Brown ran a California that was much smaller...I believe he is for a smaller government. As a former Gov. he has the experience to get us out of this mess with the lease pain...remember he has also been Mayor, and Attorney General. His "moon beam" moniker was attained because he believed in non-criminalization of marijuana back in the 1970's along with satelites and other forward thinking that has subsequently been adopted.

Needless to say I think the time is right for his re election.

1923mack
10-02-2009, 11:09 AM
His past leftist feelings have not changed. He is just a more pragmatic politician now. Once elected, and knowing he will be termed out soon, his left background will return. Do not consider him a mesiah, for 2A rights or other issues. Governor moonbeam may be older, but not sure how much smarter.

elSquid
10-02-2009, 11:17 AM

Historically, he hasn't been. I did a search one night and found the following:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=2884723

Chuckles48 says that he might be coming around though. YMMV.

-- Michael

berto
10-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Brown has a record as gov during the 70s. Brown has a record as Oakland's mayor from '98-'06. He has a record as AG since '06.

Why not compare and contrast his past views and actions with his current views and actions? He's not the same fruitcake he was in the '70s. People change their views, politicians just happen to do it in ways that are more beneficial to their careers.

Do I think Brown is the ideal candidate? No, but at this point he appears to be the best candidate for 2A. We each have to decide where 2A falls on our own list of important issues and vote accordingly.

What I find telling as far as 2A is that Whitman and Poizner (the two candidates with more money than god and no record to run on) haven't said anything. Why not? It makes little sense with the primary six months away. Now's the time to generate grass roots support.

Aleksei Vasiliev
10-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Jerry brown is a liberal Democrat a communist with a gun is still a communist.When you can't make your mortgage payment cause you aint got a job and your taxed out of your house anyway then maybe a broader view might not have been a bad idea.Not to mention his perverted social policies.

I was going to ask what his political positions are but you convinced me to vote for him, thanks

technique
10-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Anyone remember the Dead Kennedys song...California uber alles?

I am Governor Jerry Brown
My aura smiles
And never frowns
Soon I will be president...

Carter Power will soon go away
I will be Fuhrer one day
I will command all of you
Your kids will meditate in school
Your kids will meditate in school!

[Chorus:]
California Uber Alles
California Uber Alles
Uber Alles California
Uber Alles California

Zen fascists will control you
100% natural
You will jog for the master race
And always wear the happy face

Close your eyes, can't happen here
Big Bro' on white horse is near
The hippies won't come back you say
Mellow out or you will pay
Mellow out or you will pay!

[Chorus]

Now it is 1984
Knock-knock at your front door
It's the suede/denim secret police
They have come for your uncool niece

Come quietly to the camp
You'd look nice as a drawstring lamp
Don't you worry, it's only a shower
For your clothes here's a pretty flower.

DIE on organic poison gas
Serpent's egg's already hatched
You will croak, you little clown
When you mess with President Brown

Song was written by this guy....look familiar? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jello_Biafra

AndrewMendez
10-02-2009, 11:59 AM
I got the best idea, I will run for Governor! What do you guys think??

Gator Monroe
10-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Several thoughts....

Fud (Name 2 other potential GOP Gov candidates who are not 2A friendly ,other the Meg Whitman )

Gator Monroe
10-02-2009, 12:10 PM
I was going to ask what his political positions are but you convinced me to vote for him, thanks

And Boxer is high on your "Must vote for" list also ?

Gator Monroe
10-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Anyone remember the Dead Kennedys song...California uber alles?

I am Governor Jerry Brown
My aura smiles
And never frowns
Soon I will be president...

Carter Power will soon go away
I will be Fuhrer one day
I will command all of you
Your kids will meditate in school
Your kids will meditate in school!

[Chorus:]
California Uber Alles
California Uber Alles
Uber Alles California
Uber Alles California

Zen fascists will control you
100% natural
You will jog for the master race
And always wear the happy face

Close your eyes, can't happen here
Big Bro' on white horse is near
The hippies won't come back you say
Mellow out or you will pay
Mellow out or you will pay!

[Chorus]

Now it is 1984
Knock-knock at your front door
It's the suede/denim secret police
They have come for your uncool niece

Come quietly to the camp
You'd look nice as a drawstring lamp
Don't you worry, it's only a shower
For your clothes here's a pretty flower.

DIE on organic poison gas
Serpent's egg's already hatched
You will croak, you little clown

Song was written by this guy....look familiar? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jello_Biafra

Jello was a Futurist like Eldon Hoke of the Mentors !

kf6tac
10-02-2009, 12:16 PM

You've got my vote.

bwiese
10-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Fud (Name 2 other potential GOP Gov candidates who are not 2A friendly ,other the Meg Whitman )

Steve Poizner and Tom Campbell.

Tom Campbell has a history of making anti-RBKA statements.
And I keep hearing Steve Poizner has refused to meet with NRA reps.

Meantime,
- past history of voicing support of RKBA;
- DOJ BoF downsized;
- Iggy's walking a night beat in SF, no longer with DOJ;
- Amicus brief filed in favor of RKBA;
- DOJ BoF drama subsided, OLL rifles with BBs etc. at many gunshops/gunshows;
- Bradys/LCAVs are butt-hurt and disappointed.

For those thinking "Moonbeam" his tenure as Oakland mayor was largely that of a typical pro-biz Republican mayor who had good relations with LE.
Jerry Brown was far to the right of the moonbat Oakland City Council.

I'm a pretty conservative guy. When the Repubs actually send someone that cares about my gunrights I might listen - until then I have to go with someone who demonstrated more pro-RKBA leanings in the last 2 years than the whole CA Republican party did for the past decade.

CA Republicans are gonna have to "show us the love" again by carrying incremental pro-gun bills. No longer is just voting "No" on bad bills enough.

AndrewMendez
10-02-2009, 12:20 PM
You've got my vote.

Thanks!! I am a couple years shy of 30 though! Maybe I should get some experience as a Mayor first, what do you guys think? Then, in less then 10 Years, California will again be a free state!

stag6.8
10-02-2009, 12:20 PM
when jerry brown was governor, The calif aerospace industry was at its strongest along with pete wilson(good steady high tech jobs). when they left everything went downhill. most all high tech aerospace jobs left calif to arizona or texas.....we need jerry brown. why did they call him moonbeam? hes the first to reconize the importance of satellite technology as well as other growing technologies way back in the 1970`s and they laughed at him. I know who I`m voting for next year... getting rid of boxer and finding out whos running for attorney general is just important when jerry leaves office

kf6tac
10-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks!! I am a couple years shy of 30 though!

You and me both. Maybe I should run for local city council. Judging from the number of yard signs cropping up around town, I gather that there is an election soon.

AndrewMendez
10-02-2009, 12:34 PM
You and me both. Maybe I should run for local city council. Judging from the number of yard signs cropping up around town, I gather that there is an election soon.

If your in the bay area, you can make some massive damage! I have seriously thought, that the sole purpose of why I am on this Earth, is to get the entire state to think, maybe taking away guns from Law Abiding Citizens isn't the right thing to do!

zchen
10-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Here are 2 articles I found on him. I picked out some quotes.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/09/californias-colorful-ex-governor-jerry-brown-emerges-as-new-frontrunner-for-2010.php
http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?article=see_jerry_run_again

Brown has been known for his eccentric mix of progressive cultural values and fiscally conservative governance. When he was governor, he was strongly supportive of civil rights, the environment and labor unions, but was also very tight with money. He once famously declared: "I am going to starve the schools financially until I get some educational reforms." And when he ran for president in 1992, he supported the traditionally right-wing flat tax.

A Rasmussen poll released yesterday showed Brown leading all three Republican candidates for governor -- former eBay CEO Meg Whitman, state Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner, and former Rep. Tom Campbell -- and his Democratic primary opponent, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, trailing all three of them. Brown's favorable-unfavorable rating is 53%-37%, compared to Newsom's 41%-44%. The pollster's analysis suggested that if Newsom were to actually win the nomination, his own numbers would likely improve based on the state's Democratic leanings. For now, it appears to be a mix of name recognition, and Brown possibly being somewhat better-liked than Newsom even after adjusting for that first difference.

By his own account, Brown became more grounded in detail in the mayor's office. As an attorney general, he has done something similar by focusing on environmental issues and real-estate fraud while leaving the rest to underlings. Given his inattention to his duties in his governorship, this focus reassures some. Others, including former employees, suggest that the office's work in consumer protection, firearms control, and gambling regulation has suffered from lack of attention. "I have not been impressed by his desire to solve deep problems facing our society," says Jamie Court, president of Consumer Watchdog, a Santa Monica–based consumer education and advocacy group. "He's put all his resources into global warming and predatory lending, which looks good and popular, but I don't see the office as having a big impact in those areas."

Once in a while, Brown drops a few hints about his views of the state's fiscal crisis -- and sounds much like the budget-cutting governor he was 30 years ago. "Stupid use of funds is ... more common," he said on KGO. "That's what we've got to root out if we're going to solve this budget deficit." He has supported the current governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, at three crucial moments. In late 2003, Brown, as mayor of Oakland, showed up at a Capitol news conference to endorse Schwarzenegger's decision to use an accounting maneuver (instead of a tax increase) to cover a cut in the state's vehicle-licensing fees. Brown later backed Schwarzenegger's 2004 borrowing plan to fix the state structural deficit (thus avoiding tax increases again). He also joined with the governor to preserve the state's three-strikes laws, which have led to costly prison overcrowding. Those factors -- the car tax cut, state borrowing, and the huge prisoner population -- are three of the four biggest contributors to the state's persistent budget deficits. (The fourth is health-care costs.)

berto
10-02-2009, 1:29 PM

Name two GOP gov candidates who are pro-2A. Hell, name one.

Campbell's voting record and statements rule him out until he actually says something else.

Poizner hasn't said anything. Silence on 2A ain't support in my book.

Who else ya got Gator?

CalNRA
10-02-2009, 4:12 PM
I'm a pretty conservative guy. When the Repubs actually send someone that cares about my gunrights I might listen - until then I have to go with someone who demonstrated more pro-RKBA leanings in the last 2 years than the whole CA Republican party did for the past decade.

yeah, the last Republican AG didn't work out too well.

:puke:

Then again neither did Lockyer :rolleyes:

Legasat
10-02-2009, 4:52 PM
I'm still skeptical of Jerry. He's been a left wing NUT all of his life, just a frugal one. There is still plenty of time for him to show me he truly cares about 2A, as his recent behaviour seems to indicate. I just don't trust him enough...yet.

There is still plenty of time for the other candidates to show they care too.

Time will tell.

Zhukov
10-02-2009, 4:52 PM
At this point, my vote is Brown's to lose.

The people I see trying to bash him tend to not bring any factual or negative stuff to light.

They claim he's a "communist" yet show no proof to follow.

They try to use the "Moon-beam" nickname as a insult/joke, even though what Brown suggested came to fruition and we're the better for it.

He's done more good in his short tenure as AG than most Republicans or Democrats in the legislature have done in the past few years.

not-fishing
10-02-2009, 5:26 PM
All I see is Govenor MOONBEAM hoping we all will forget his ties to Far Left (Far Out Man) by making a feint to the Right.

Mark

curtisfong
10-02-2009, 5:41 PM
MOONBEAM

Question: where do you think that nickname came from?

VW*Mike
10-02-2009, 6:30 PM
Dead Kennedy's rewrote that song after Regan was elected. Equally funny. We'll see, he looks the best so far, but as the wisdom of "South Park" has taught us, no matter what, you have to pick either a giant douche, or a turd sandwich.

BigDogatPlay
10-02-2009, 6:48 PM

FUD??? Moi? HMMMmmmmm ... did you read the post? There are currently three Republicans seriously considering a run for Governor; Meg Whitman, Steve Poizner and Tom Campbell. All three are squishy, at the absolute best, on 2A issues. At worst they are not supportive of us at all, and would sign whatever newest piece of crap chisel against our rights got put in front of them.

Stick your head in the sand and label me as FUD all you like, the political realities remain what they are. As George Deukmejian, Pete Wilson, Dan Lungren and Arnold all pointed out to us in great and vivid detail, having an 'R' after your name is absolutely no guarantee of that person being a 2A supporter.

If you'd like to dig deeper we could always go to Carly Fiorina, who has made noises about running for Governor, but she is supposedly planing to run against Boxer next year. Her 2A stance is............. << fill in the blank >>

7222 Hawker
10-02-2009, 7:46 PM
Jerry has been around for a long time.

Winston Churchill said that if you are young and you are not a liberal, then you have no heart.

When you get older, if you are not a conservative, you have no brain.

But there is a higher level of political wisdom than conservative or liberal, it is called LIBERTARIAN.

From what I hear Jerry Brown is leaning more Libertarian which makes him a great match for the Demographics of this state.

Jerry will be a major force in the Democratic party and his election is going to isolate the victim disarmament extremists.

Certain members of Calguns will probably be working with Jerry Brown if he gets elected and something tells me that means intelligence will rule in the Jerry Brown administration.

Nicki

I hate democrats but this is the best of two evils I see.

bridgeport
10-02-2009, 7:58 PM
At this point, I would settle for a competent Governor. Seriously, if it comes down to Jerry Brown or Gavin Newsom, my vote will go to Brown. Remember,
Browns father was Pat Brown, who used to say "Don't mess with peoples cars,
or Guns". Perhaps the younger has taken his fathers advice to heart.

Mitch
10-03-2009, 9:22 AM
Brown has been known for his eccentric mix of progressive cultural values and fiscally conservative governance. When he was governor, he was strongly supportive of civil rights, the environment and labor unions, but was also very tight with money.

Sounds good to me!

I don't like unions much, but if they behave legally what's the big deal?

Who can argue against civil rights? I mean, aside from fascists?

He once famously declared: "I am going to starve the schools financially until I get some educational reforms." And when he ran for president in 1992, he supported the traditionally right-wing flat tax.

Excellent!

And the flat tax has worked pretty well in Eastern Europe.

Of course, it will never fly here because Americans just love their subsidies (especially when they are called "tax deductions").

Gator Monroe
10-03-2009, 9:49 AM
Name two GOP gov candidates who are pro-2A. Hell, name one.

Campbell's voting record and statements rule him out until he actually says something else.

Poizner hasn't said anything. Silence on 2A ain't support in my book.

Who else ya got Gator?
We shall see over next couple of months .

Gator Monroe
10-03-2009, 9:50 AM
Brown was a Laughingstock from the mid 70's on (I saw it all):chris:

berto
10-03-2009, 12:40 PM
We shall see over next couple of months .

You got any ideas of who exactly might be maybe running or are you hoping beyond hope that a legit pro-2A republican will appear from the ether?

thebronze
10-03-2009, 1:40 PM
As of right now, my vote would have to go to "Moon-Beam", absent convincing evidence to support someone else.

MolonLabe2008
10-03-2009, 4:48 PM
I'll be laughing my arse off if he becomes our governor and signs legislation that infringes on our rights.

I don't trust him.

advocatusdiaboli
10-03-2009, 4:54 PM
have no particular evidence of that, just that he's fiscally conservative and strongly in support of lower taxes and minimal regulations. That, and the fact he's a Republican, leads me to believe he supports 2A. Anyone know for sure?

Be careful on those assumptions--they'll lead you astray. I once thought GW Bush and DIck Cheney supported the Constitution, Habeas Corpus, and Bill of Rights because they are Republicans--but they proved me egregiously wrong. I also believed the party of family values would demonstrate them, but I've lost count of the Republicans having affairs and disrespecting marriage and family values. I no longer trust someone because of their party affiliation. I do my homework and even then I know I can be fooled.

hoffmang
10-03-2009, 5:50 PM
I'll be laughing my arse off if he becomes our governor and signs legislation that infringes on our rights.

I don't trust him.

So were you laughing your *** off when AB-50 was signed?

All possible options are worse and you're unrealistic if you don't understand that. The good news is that Mr. Brown actually believes people should have gun rights.

-Gene

dantodd
10-03-2009, 5:54 PM

I don't trust him.

I don't believe anyone here is under the impression that Mr. Brown's interpretation of the Second Amendment is the same as the interpretation shared by most of our membership. However; believing that the Second Amendment is an affirmation of an INDIVIDUAL right to keep and bear arms and that that it protects against infringement from any level of government puts him WAY ahead of all other candidates right now.

I believe he is on the same side as us when we look at the brightest line dividing the issue, he's just not as far over the line as we'd prefer.

bridgeport
10-03-2009, 6:51 PM
Seriously, what this state needs is a competent person at the helm. Right now
our state legislature is utterly and totally out of control. The governator has proven to be both incompetent, untrustworthy, and quite anti gun. Politics,
has been the Brown family business for a long time, and the former Governor
is likely the best bet for this state on many levels. Would I prefer a competent
republican with solid pro 2A credentials, yes absolutely, however in this state at this time that would be a virtual impossibility, which means supporting the
best realistic candidate should be the goal.

bodger
10-03-2009, 6:56 PM
Don't drink the Koolaid , he will be sympathetec to the Innner city bloodbaths and for the sake of the State & Nation allow Lists & AWB's & any other draconian firearms restrictions that the State & US democrats deem needed to save the poor Children Diying in Oakland & South Central & Stockton & Santa Ana &...

Problem is, trying to find some 2A Kool-Aid to drink where a candidate for gov in CA is concerned.

This business with Brown has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads. Brown's Amicus brief gives a flicker of hope as opposed to the other possible candidates. Don't forget, this is CA, and a gunny gets a crumb he thinks he's seeing a fat steak.

I'll bet he Kool-Aid is nice and cold in Arizona. :D

bridgeport
10-03-2009, 8:26 PM
Who was Governor when the first awb went into effect? the second? Who signed the GCA of '86 ? Hint.... he was once Governor of California.
Who signed the .50 cal ban? Who was Gov when the HG roster took effect?

bwiese
10-03-2009, 8:38 PM
Who was Governor when the first awb went into effect? the second? Who signed the GCA of '86 ? Hint.... he was once Governor of California.
Who signed the .50 cal ban? Who was Gov when the HG roster took effect?

Generally Republican govs, yes.
However when the 1st Roster (SB15 drop test) went into effect Gray Davis was in office.

Kid Stanislaus
10-03-2009, 9:12 PM
"Yea but what other evidence do you have that he is not going to run the state into the ground."

Aw c'mon Fat Rat, the state of CA is about as "run into the ground" as it can get!!

Meplat
10-03-2009, 9:20 PM
But if you still got your gun you can always eat tree huggers!:43:

Jerry brown is a liberal Democrat a communist with a gun is still a communist.When you can't make your mortgage payment cause you aint got a job and your taxed out of your house anyway then maybe a broader view might not have been a bad idea.Not to mention his perverted social policies.
Just my 2 cents.

cheers

Kid Stanislaus
10-03-2009, 9:21 PM

OMIGOD!!

bridgeport
10-03-2009, 9:44 PM
I voted for all those Republicans, Ronaldus Magnus included. I would like to see a day, when I can reliably cast a vote for a politician who does not want to
deceive me of his intentions, deprive me of my rights, nor bankrupt me of my estate through taxes. I would like to see a legislature, acting with honor, integrity, responsibility, and frugality. Is this not possible? Is any legislator
willing or able to act independent of lobbyists to rein in the extravagances
which have poured forth from the capitol for decades?

dantodd
10-03-2009, 10:46 PM
I would like to see a day, when I can reliably cast a vote for a politician who does not want to deceive me of his intentions, deprive me of my rights, nor bankrupt me of my estate through taxes.

This will happen as soon as they fear the people more than the people fear the government.

bodger
10-04-2009, 9:53 AM
This will happen as soon as they fear the people more than the people fear the government.

I'm starting to fear the people of this state as much as I do the government.
Seems like the average person in CA has been conditioned to support ANY law or candidate that has to do with gun control, no matter how ridiculous.

These politicians like DeLeon are taking full advantage of that.

jmlivingston
10-04-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm starting to fear the people of this state as much as I do the government.

I've been fearing them for probably 10-12 years now. The people of this state are generally incapable of basic thinking skills. If they were, they'd quit voting for all these bond issues that come to us as Propositions on the ballets. The legislature only controls somewhere between 15-20% of the state budget, the rest has been mandated by the voters. It's not the legislature that has led us to our financial woes, but the people. Now the legislature hasn't helped any that's for sure, but they're a secondary cause not the primary.

Mulay El Raisuli
10-04-2009, 10:58 AM
A fiscal conservative in the Statehouse would be a HUGE win for this state. That Brown is also pro-2A is just icing on the cake.

Unless something changes between now & June, I'm going to be re-registering as a Dem.

The Raisuli

berto
10-04-2009, 2:02 PM
I've been fearing them for probably 10-12 years now. The people of this state are generally incapable of basic thinking skills. If they were, they'd quit voting for all these bond issues that come to us as Propositions on the ballets. The legislature only controls somewhere between 15-20% of the state budget, the rest has been mandated by the voters. It's not the legislature that has led us to our financial woes, but the people. Now the legislature hasn't helped any that's for sure, but they're a secondary cause not the primary.

Yeah, seriously. It's called voting no.

gbp
10-04-2009, 3:18 PM
it would take a lot more than his supposed gun rights record for me to vote for a dem.
still waiting on a rep candate, perhaps i'll have to wait a long time, but better than being back-stabbed by a dem
nuff said

bwiese
10-04-2009, 3:22 PM
it would take a lot more than his supposed gun rights record for me to vote for a dem.
still waiting on a rep candate, perhaps i'll have to wait a long time, but better than being back-stabbed by a dem
nuff said

Thanks for voting anti-gun. 'Nuff said.

I guess you are not a pro-gun voter.

bodger
10-04-2009, 3:43 PM
nuff said

I would have to vote for a Dem that at least is giving us a whiff of being
Pro 2A before I would vote for an anti-gun Republican, of which there are many in this state.

If there is anything we should be able to see clearly at this point, it's that you cannot vote Republican across the board and allow yourself to think you're voting for Pro 2A candidates by doing so.

Hell, it's so bad here now that if a candidate for Governor came out balls to the wall pro gun, he or she would be written off anyway as someone who couldn't win.

So I guess we take whatever small scrap of hope a candidate might be offering and hope for the best. Like it or not, Jerry Brown seems to be the one with the scrap.

artherd
10-04-2009, 4:23 PM
If it helps, imagine Brown is a Republican candidate. Change none of his core holdings (especially that he is the ONLY pro RKBA candidate with any chance of victory)

NOW who you gonna vote for?

If you need me to I'll break out the photoshop, heck I'll slap a GOP sticker on his car when he's not looking...

SteveH
10-04-2009, 4:25 PM
What pro-gun legislation did Brown enact his first time around?

bwiese
10-04-2009, 4:29 PM

Nothing, as I recall. As he refined his proto-small-L-personal liberty stance in the 80s and 90s (esp as voiced in presidential campaigns) his position became clearer.

As this point, JB's amicus brief citing that RKBA should be incorporated has been more valuable than any pro-gun legislation.

artherd
10-04-2009, 4:32 PM

What sort of 'pro-gun' legislation is there, really? Especially in the 1970s?

trashman
10-04-2009, 4:37 PM
I've been fearing them for probably 10-12 years now. The people of this state are generally incapable of basic thinking skills. If they were, they'd quit voting for all these bond issues that come to us as Propositions on the ballets.

Yeah, EXACTLY. Californians haven't ever seen a bond issue or tax increase they didn't like.

Here in SF a few years ago the city voters approved a multi-million-dollar bond issue to pave city streets. TO FRACKING PAVE ROADS, PEOPLE!!!!

It's like taking out a 15-year mortgage to buy groceries. Idiotic.

--Neill

dantodd
10-04-2009, 4:48 PM
Yeah, EXACTLY. Californians haven't ever seen a bond issue or tax increase they didn't like.

The people have rejected a lot of bad spending measures. Heck, none of them passed in the last special election. And in November they batted about .500 which isn't too bad for CA.

People are slowly starting to wake up. It sometimes takes years to wake people up and reverse their course.

trashman
10-04-2009, 4:53 PM
The people have rejected a lot of bad spending measures. Heck, none of them passed in the last special election. And in November they batted about .500 which isn't too bad for CA.

People are slowly starting to wake up. It sometimes takes years to wake people up and reverse their course.

Yes, and let us hope the trend continues. The threat of double-digit sales taxes as well as magically rising property tax assessments in a down market has something to do with this, I imagine...

--Neill

MP301
10-04-2009, 9:12 PM
Well, after reading this thread, it is CRYSTAL CLEAR what needs to be done here.

For the first time in my life, I will register as a democrat. You would have to be a run of the mill stupid Californian to not vote for Brown.

At this point, he is the best choice for what we are trying to do here. Whatever your personal feelings are on "Moonbeam", put em on the back burner and do the right thing....crap, the only thing.

All this whiney crap about not trusting him blah blah blah is weak. Gee, how short your memories are if you think that you can trust any politician anyway, conservative or otherwise. You just need to go with the one that is most likely going to go along with the things you hold most dear....or at least not go out of thier way to screw you out of them faster!

And Ca is already seriously screwed. Brown wont make it worse...judging by his past record and experience, and that of the current governator turncoat, he will probably be a big improvement. The other candidates....not so much.

DO THE RIGHT THING! THIS MESSAGE IS APPROVED (HOPEFULLY) BY THE "RIGHT PEOPLE" AT CALGUNS!

Centurion_D
10-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Bill, Gene, and others have made some very valid points on JB's 2A stance. If it's good enough for them then it's good enough for me. JB's got my vote for Gov.

bridgeport
10-05-2009, 6:08 AM
Governor Gavin Newsom..... OUCH!!!! You do not want to see that.

Desert Cowboy
10-05-2009, 1:46 PM
I find it somewhat interesting that everyone is limiting themselves, and others, to two political parties, neither of which is really pro 2A. I usually take a lot of heat for speaking third party, usually comments like " I don't vote for them because they would never win". Well with an attitude like that they wont. You restrict your options only thinking two parties. If you had to slap a party label on me it would be libertarian. I donít vote any ticket across the board, I vote what means the most to me right now, and right now that is 2A. In times past I had other issues of more import but now its pretty much 2A.
Republican or Democrat is still Kool-Aid, maybe itís the flavor you like but Kool-Aid just the same. As far as Brown goes, he has responded to the people even when it wasnít what he wanted. For those of us old enough to remember prop 13 he campaigned against that hard, but when the prop passed he worked hard to get it in place and IIRC stopped a legislative challenge to it. He was broad thinking in that respect in that the immediate effect of that would last less than 1/2 a generation. By then the vast majority of home in CA were new or changed ownership and the gap in taxes was negligible.
Will I vote for Brown, I don't know yet, its too early by the same token I cant say as i will vote against him either, same reason. I will consider a candidate not of the 2 approved parties, if they meet the criteria, something I wish all voters would consider. I also know that that wonít happen. Is it a waste of a vote, in the short term maybe, but it will only take a couple of third party candidates to win to hopefully get past the 2 or out political party format? Remember Ron Packard in 1982 down in San Diego, he won a write in vote for congress. One day I hope we will get past this stupid 2 party system and have some real choices.
Sorry about the ramble, you may now return the political discussion already in progress.

GuyW
10-05-2009, 1:52 PM
Yeah, I don't necessarily vote for the lesser of 2 evils. If they are both f$%^ed enuff, I'll vote for a 3rd party candidate (assuming that option exists and they don't suck).

bridgeport
10-05-2009, 5:31 PM
In the end, you are going to end up with one of the candidates being Governor,
This matters. Rather than pushing third party malarky, which has never done anything except get WJ Clinton elected president, Try entering into the reality of California politics , which pretty much dictates that one of the two main party candidates will actually win the upcoming election. You do not want that someone to be Gavin Newsom. Once again, repeat after me.... You do NOT want that person to be Gavin Newsom.

VW*Mike
10-05-2009, 6:14 PM
The third party has been gaining ground recently, but, its still at this point throwing the your vote away. AS I said earlier, you have to pick either the giant douche, or the turd sandwich. If Newsom wins, I will be looking for houses in another state sooner then I anticipated. SF, love it, but its a mess and a cesspool of liberals and moochers who would love nothing more then to give out to lazy, I mean, less fortunate people on my dime, drive out businesses under ridiculous EPA regulations and tax the hell out of us all who decided to do something with our lives.