PDA

View Full Version : AR Legal?

zx10r203
10-02-2009, 1:25 AM
So I went to the range (Reeds) a few days ago and saw that they have an AR15 (I am almost sure) in .223. Now I am new to the gun owning experience and am not too sure if the normal Joe (myself) could buy something like that!?!?

So the question is, can I????

AdamM
10-02-2009, 1:30 AM
Yes

k1dude
10-02-2009, 1:30 AM
Yes. But first familiarize yourself with the laws regarding legal ownership. The info on this site is a good reference.

ac427cpe
10-02-2009, 1:38 AM
yup, see the CA AW flowchart in the banner to make sure you stay on the right side of the law.

here is a good starting point: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818

Hayashi Killian
10-02-2009, 3:04 AM
It's legal if it's not one of the named banned rifles or receivers.

It's also legal if it has a fixed magazine with certain features, or a detachable one without those features.

For more detailed information, check out the AW flowchart: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Sunshine
10-02-2009, 3:23 AM
Also make sure that:

1) OAL is at least 30 inches (not really a problem)

2) If taking the fixed mag route, 10 round mags only.

tenpercentfirearms
10-02-2009, 7:17 AM
http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=ar15

fliparch
10-02-2009, 8:30 AM
Check out our local and non local (supporter) VENDORS (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=75) in here, most sell complete AR-15 rifles. They are legal but I suggest you read up why they are and what are illegal. It will save you lots of grief in the future.

tombinghamthegreat
10-02-2009, 9:29 AM
Yes you can AK, AR, FAL ect Style rifles, refer to the AW flowchart.

stix213
10-02-2009, 12:24 PM
So I went to the range (Reeds) a few days ago and saw that they have an AR15 (I am almost sure) in .223. Now I am new to the gun owning experience and am not too sure if the normal Joe (myself) could buy something like that!?!?

So the question is, can I????

No offense, but you obviously haven't done any reading on this forum yet at all what-so-ever. Buying an AR is what at least 50% of the posts in this forum are about. Start reading before you try to buy one.

ghost
10-02-2009, 1:29 PM
read this before you do anything:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818

Merc1138
10-02-2009, 1:57 PM
HAHAHAHA. Alright, so lastnight I saw this thread, and today I figured I'd stop by reed's since it's close to the office.

Now, the last time I was in there I got that "we're gonna stare at you like you're here to steal something" look and it completely pissed me off, so I never intended to go back to this OLL unfriendly place.

So today, I went in, walked around for a bit. They had reorganized the shelves a bit since my past venture into their store. Nothing particularly interesting aside from the display case with some AR rails, magpul stocks, etc. I look up at the rifles, and I see ONE rifle resembling an an m4. But... there's something wrong with it. I ask the guy at the counter as he walks up to me if I can see the m4 style rifle up there, and he tries handing me a benelli supernova(wtf? seriously? that's a shotgun, I asked to see a rifle). I tell him no, the one 3 to the left and I get a blank stare(it's like he's really trying to ignore it's there) so I say "the one with the closed magazine well, the ar-15/m4 looking rifle with the collapsible stock" "oh, this one" and he proceeds to check the chamber and hang onto it.

After he tells me it's a bushmaster in .223 I ask if I can actually hold the thing, so he begrudgingly hands it to me and is completely shocked when the first thing I do is check the chamber and pull the takedown pin to see wtf is with the mag well.

Let me explain, I have never seen a closed mag-well top feed only ar, ever. It's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in my life.

I ask "what is this abomination?" and he proceeds to tell me that it's the "only way to have a legal AR in california, no other way is legal, that magwell has to be closed and it has to be top feed only" wtf... "really? So there's no other way at all?" "nope, none, and in fact the DOJ will probably make this illegal soon also". At this point I hand it back to him and walk out the door, as soon as I got around the corner on my way back to the car I started laughin'.

zx10r203, A normal Joe like you(provided you aren't a felon, mentally fit, yada yada" can indeed buy an evil black rifle. Take all of the information from the links that the other posters here have provided, and go to one of the many other bay area shops and check out their selection. Irvington Arms and Bay Area Gun Vault are probably the closest two to reed's, and not only will they not attempt to fill your head with idiotic nonsense like reed's, they both have a selection of configurations to check out, as well as parts, and they have a reasonable understanding of the actual law.

Oh, and they'll actually want to sell you something too, heh. Seriously man, screw reed's, that place is a joke.

zx10r203
10-02-2009, 5:33 PM
HAHAHAHA. Alright, so lastnight I saw this thread, and today I figured I'd stop by reed's since it's close to the office.

Now, the last time I was in there I got that "we're gonna stare at you like you're here to steal something" look and it completely pissed me off, so I never intended to go back to this OLL unfriendly place.

So today, I went in, walked around for a bit. They had reorganized the shelves a bit since my past venture into their store. Nothing particularly interesting aside from the display case with some AR rails, magpul stocks, etc. I look up at the rifles, and I see ONE rifle resembling an an m4. But... there's something wrong with it. I ask the guy at the counter as he walks up to me if I can see the m4 style rifle up there, and he tries handing me a benelli supernova(wtf? seriously? that's a shotgun, I asked to see a rifle). I tell him no, the one 3 to the left and I get a blank stare(it's like he's really trying to ignore it's there) so I say "the one with the closed magazine well, the ar-15/m4 looking rifle with the collapsible stock" "oh, this one" and he proceeds to check the chamber and hang onto it.

After he tells me it's a bushmaster in .223 I ask if I can actually hold the thing, so he begrudgingly hands it to me and is completely shocked when the first thing I do is check the chamber and pull the takedown pin to see wtf is with the mag well.

Let me explain, I have never seen a closed mag-well top feed only ar, ever. It's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in my life.

I ask "what is this abomination?" and he proceeds to tell me that it's the "only way to have a legal AR in california, no other way is legal, that magwell has to be closed and it has to be top feed only" wtf... "really? So there's no other way at all?" "nope, none, and in fact the DOJ will probably make this illegal soon also". At this point I hand it back to him and walk out the door, as soon as I got around the corner on my way back to the car I started laughin'.

zx10r203, A normal Joe like you(provided you aren't a felon, mentally fit, yada yada" can indeed buy an evil black rifle. Take all of the information from the links that the other posters here have provided, and go to one of the many other bay area shops and check out their selection. Irvington Arms and Bay Area Gun Vault are probably the closest two to reed's, and not only will they not attempt to fill your head with idiotic nonsense like reed's, they both have a selection of configurations to check out, as well as parts, and they have a reasonable understanding of the actual law.

Oh, and they'll actually want to sell you something too, heh. Seriously man, screw reed's, that place is a joke.

Thanks for all the info.

And like you said Merc, I have gotten a lot of blank looks at Reeds but I have delt with one person (who I got my Glock from) who was actually nice and to me (I don't know much but I know when they are giving bull****) kinda knew what he was talking about. Before I was to purchase anything I was going to come here and research. I did not know about Irvington Arms but have driven past the Vault a few times (counting today). So I will check out both of those places Monday.

strangerdude
10-02-2009, 5:35 PM
If I had a dime....

dieselpower
10-02-2009, 7:11 PM
If its a Bushmaster Top Loading AR15...stop, turn and freaking run. They were at one time the only AR15 worth buying in Ca. Since that time a lot has changed. We no longer have to deal with those stupid laws.

The only thing going for the BM Top loading Carbine was it is only one of two factory made AR15s given the "ok" by the DOJ. That in itself screams run away. If we only buy those it reinforces their belief that we are their slaves and they are allowed to tell us what we can do.

Do not accept what they tell you, read for yourself, educate yourself. There is rarely a time where the gov will tell you the whole truth. They only tell you what they want and just enough to get you to do what they want.