PDA

View Full Version : Incomplete build question

B.D.Dubloon
10-02-2009, 12:09 AM
I have recently ordered a bunch of kits (ak-74s and amd-65s). My question is whether I would be in violation of any laws if I did all the riveting on the kits before I got all the compliance parts, but didn't assemble the gun fully.

Ex: I would build all the rifles, sans fire control groups, bullet buttons, or magazines. When I got some more cash I would get US made fcg's/mags and enough stuff to meet compliance regulations, and fully assemble the rifles.

I just want to do all the riveting at one time as long as I have my press out. Is this okay?

B.D.Dubloon
10-02-2009, 8:26 AM
Morning bump.

EBR Works
10-02-2009, 8:27 AM
My first impression is that you would be fine. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

CHS
10-02-2009, 8:49 AM
All you would be guilty of is manufacturing a US-made receiver.

Luckily, that's 100% legal :)

wash
10-02-2009, 10:05 AM
As long as the assemblage does not contain more than 10 foreign parts you should be clear on 922(r).

I would not put on stocks, especially if any of the barrels are less than 16", you don't want to make an SBR.

You might want to store the bolt and bolt carrier outside of the receiver just in case. There is no legal reason for that but if someone is trying to charge you for an un-registered AW, your defense would be "I was going to make it compliant, it just isn't finished yet." A rifle with no FCG , no stock and no bolt/bolt carrier would make that a very convincing argument unless the judge is a moron.

B.D.Dubloon
10-02-2009, 11:05 AM
As long as the assemblage does not contain more than 10 foreign parts you should be clear on 922(r).

I would not put on stocks, especially if any of the barrels are less than 16", you don't want to make an SBR.

You might want to store the bolt and bolt carrier outside of the receiver just in case. There is no legal reason for that but if someone is trying to charge you for an un-registered AW, your defense would be "I was going to make it compliant, it just isn't finished yet." A rifle with no FCG , no stock and no bolt/bolt carrier would make that a very convincing argument unless the judge is a moron.

Sounds like good advice, I'll follow it just to be safe.

50BMGBOB
10-02-2009, 1:10 PM
Definitely leave the pistol grip and flash suppressor off until you install the BB. Also, I would remove the gas piston as that is usually a compliance part, It has to come off anyways.

SJgunguy24
10-02-2009, 2:37 PM
I would build up the receivers but leave the barrels out. If you press the barrels and pin them, it could be considered a complete firearm. Thus being under the 30" OAL for a rifle if a rifle trunion has been installed.