PDA

View Full Version : Forward verticle grip suggestions

Afterburnt
10-01-2009, 7:31 PM
As always I shall defer to yalls expert advice. Any suggestions are most appreciated.

joelogic
10-01-2009, 8:04 PM
Whats your question? Which should you buy? Tango Down QD

fcr
10-01-2009, 8:05 PM
I am not an expert, I just own a Tango Down and a Troy. I like them both, they are made well. I like the fact the Troy can be a stubby. I am sure someone who has had to really use one for a realworld application will chime in.

Richie Caketown
10-01-2009, 8:05 PM
Grip pod

best of both worlds ,

Requiem
10-01-2009, 8:14 PM
Grip pods a little big even in my large hands. Idk who makes the "broomstick" we use in the USMC but it works great for me.

djleisure
10-01-2009, 8:26 PM
I have a LaRue QD stubby and a Tango Down QD stubby and they are both excellent. I give the slight advantage to the LaRue, because it comes with a couple different bottom caps, some nice rubber grippy wraps for securing a pressure activated switch and most importantly it secures to the rail a little more solidly than the TD.

I like the stubbies because I don't take a full grip on the thing, I just use it as kind of a backstop to press my hand against - most of my grip is on the forearm.

YMMV

tomd1584
10-01-2009, 8:44 PM
Grip pod

best of both worlds ,

you mean the worst of both worlds....seems to big and bulky for a forward grip, and kind of a half-*** job as a bipod. +1 on the Larue, i dont have one but have shot a rifle with it...very nice.

dieselpower
10-01-2009, 8:51 PM
Broomsticks are original KAC grips. Solid no battery compartment. Thats what i use. They are strong as heck, comfortable as a backstop or full grip.

I dont like QD grips

dchang0
10-01-2009, 9:04 PM
I have a LaRue QD stubby and a Tango Down QD stubby and they are both excellent. I give the slight advantage to the LaRue, because it comes with a couple different bottom caps, some nice rubber grippy wraps for securing a pressure activated switch and most importantly it secures to the rail a little more solidly than the TD.

I like the stubbies because I don't take a full grip on the thing, I just use it as kind of a backstop to press my hand against - most of my grip is on the forearm.

YMMV

+1. I have the same two models and prefer the Larue to the Tango Down. The TD also takes up a little more rail space, which makes fitting the covers on the rest of the rail to protect your hands a bit tougher, unless you use ladder rail covers that can be easily cut to length.

QD is better--for when I need to go into prone, supported only by the sling, sometimes it's nice to be able to pop the vert grip off so that I can get more of my palm underneath the forearm.

Afterburnt
10-02-2009, 7:04 PM
Can you tell me where to find the Larue?

evidens83
10-02-2009, 7:16 PM
Can you tell me where to find the Larue?

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=209

SoCalRandy
10-02-2009, 7:19 PM
I prefer the Bobro....

http://www.bobroengineering.com/view/product/3/

missiontrails
10-02-2009, 7:21 PM
The Grip Pod is cool, but that thing adds weight, more than I care to add. The TD Quick release stubby is solid. The Troy is versatile, but do you want the feeling of cold knurled aluminum against your fingers? The Larue is the absolute best IMO, getting one is a PITA though.

sevensix2x51
10-02-2009, 7:24 PM
i dunno, my tapco was under $30, and it attaches vertically to my h/g.... i think thats a win... :D

B Strong
10-03-2009, 8:58 AM
I like the Knight's and I put an Ergo diamond plate pattern VFG on my SPR clone build.

The Ergo is a beffy unit and heavier than other VFG's but feels outstanding in the hand.

fliparch
10-03-2009, 9:40 AM
Bravo Company (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/LaRue-Tactical-FUG-Forward-Universal-Grip-LT-690-p/larue%20tactical%20lt-690%20fug.htm) has the Larue VFG. They also have Bobro and Troy both I like.

Afterburnt
10-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Hey folks thanks for all of the input I ended up ordering a KZ Stubby Foregrip w/ Ambidextrous Rail. I have no idea if it is any good, i bought it because it came with the light that I wanted and I dont know if that is any good either.

grunz
10-03-2009, 10:54 AM
I like my Tango Down QD Stubby.

jmf_tracy
10-03-2009, 12:12 PM
i like the la rue FUG. you can get from la rue's website. i also do not like the grip pod. i think it is a POS. in a rifle class we had one that broke. it is a poor compromise. it is not a good VFG and it is a horrible bi pod. JMO. YMMV.

till44
10-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Hey folks thanks for all of the input I ended up ordering a KZ Stubby Foregrip w/ Ambidextrous Rail. I have no idea if it is any good, i bought it because it came with the light that I wanted and I dont know if that is any good either.

One thing I'll say about KZ, they are completely un-original in their design of products, but they build pretty decent and solid stuff for a good price.

Afterburnt
10-04-2009, 11:43 AM
mockery is the sincerest form of flattery lol

penguin156
10-04-2009, 1:02 PM
Grip pods a little big even in my large hands. Idk who makes the "broomstick" we use in the USMC but it works great for me.

We always got either the grip pods or the Knights. A lot of guys in my unit loved their grip pods, but I'm pretty sure it was mainly because the grip pod worked wonders for stacking rifles . . . that was their main use with us. I usually just kept the Knights on my rifle and just stacked on a guy who had a grip pod when ever we put our rifles down. I liked the feel of the knights far better.

IMHO with a grip pod, you may get the best of both worlds, but you also get the worst. A big clunky grip and a weak bipod.

In Iraq I carried normally with a Knights, and I took a Harris bipod on a quick detach adapter whenever the mission called for setting in an ambush.

SuperSet
10-04-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm still wondering if a super short TangoDown stubby foregrip will be kosher on featureless rifles. It seems like it'd be alright since you can't really have a pistol grip something so small. Dunno.. sure wish I'd get some CGF opinions.

johnrunner89
10-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Im looking into the QD tangodown or Troy forward grips. I bought a cheap no brand vertical grip for my shotgun a year or so ago and it broke after one range visit...so go with a well known, reliable grip.

Fate
10-04-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm still wondering if a super short TangoDown stubby foregrip will be kosher on featureless rifles. It seems like it'd be alright since you can't really have a pistol grip something so small. Dunno.. sure wish I'd get some CGF opinions.

I wouldn't put one on a featureless rifle. Like the "muzzle brake/flash suppressor" designation, if it's marketed as a fore grip, it probably IS a "forward pistol grip" according to the CA penal code, whereas a product like the KAC Handstop is NOT marketed as any kind of grip whatsoever.

Afterburnt
10-04-2009, 11:49 PM
I wouldn't put one on a featureless rifle. Like the "muzzle brake/flash suppressor" designation, if it's marketed as a fore grip, it probably IS a "forward pistol grip" according to the CA penal code, whereas a product like the KAC Handstop is NOT marketed as any kind of grip whatsoever.

the admin here says otherwise

http://www.knightarmco.com/shop2/index.php?productID=308&discuss=yes

SuperSet
10-05-2009, 6:36 AM
Thanks for the link. I guess that puts an end to that dream.

Juice5610
10-05-2009, 9:02 AM
larue all day

Heavy_Grinder
10-05-2009, 9:14 AM
KAC vert grip.

Im also surprised no one has mentioned GG&G. Their Vert grip looks good and it feels good too. Like it better than the KAC.

lawaia
10-13-2009, 6:55 AM
the admin here says otherwise

http://www.knightarmco.com/shop2/index.php?productID=308&discuss=yes

Thanks for the link. I guess that puts an end to that dream.

Knight's is a company that is scared to death of California. They will not do business in CA, period. They only say stuff like that to cover their ***. The hand stop is not marketed as a forward pistol grip, nor can it be used as one. This is just Knight's FUD, and there is no evidence that any agency has deemed this unit a pistol grip. I am very comfortable having this on my rifle.

fliparch
10-13-2009, 7:28 AM
Tango Down, Larue, Troy

SuperSet
10-13-2009, 7:38 AM
Knight's is a company that is scared to death of California. They will not do business in CA, period. They only say stuff like that to cover their ***. The hand stop is not marketed as a forward pistol grip, nor can it be used as one. This is just Knight's FUD, and there is no evidence that any agency has deemed this unit a pistol grip. I am very comfortable having this on my rifle.

Where'd you get yours? It looks like it's out of stock everywhere.

lawaia
10-13-2009, 7:40 AM
Where'd you get yours? It looks like it's out of stock everywhere.

I got mine from MSTN, but I believe they are out of stock now. Operation Parts had about 15 of them in a week ago, but sold out in a few hours. You can request notification from them when they are back in stock.

tenbrook
10-13-2009, 8:03 AM
FUG

Afterburnt
10-13-2009, 10:20 AM
The integral rail on the KZ is eventually gonna draw blood. Too bad I got it from Botach with their generous 14 day return policy...

pipboy
10-13-2009, 10:24 AM
I like the Bobro a lot, although if I were to do it over again I would get the shorty over the full size.

Fate
10-13-2009, 1:26 PM

Agree completely. It's not a pistol grip. It's really just a sling mount that functions as a hand stop too.

WeekendWarrior
10-13-2009, 2:32 PM
WWRTW

SuperSet
10-13-2009, 2:45 PM
I got mine from MSTN, but I believe they are out of stock now. Operation Parts had about 15 of them in a week ago, but sold out in a few hours. You can request notification from them when they are back in stock.

Thanks bud. MSTN reports that they expect more next week. In the meantime, they had 1 in stock so I'll give it a try.