PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for EOtech OR ACOG?

Afterburnt
10-01-2009, 8:24 PM
Pros, cons, which ones you use and like or any other rugged tactical sights you would recommend. And who has the best prices.

Thanks

THT
10-01-2009, 8:29 PM
My personal preference is EOTech/Aimpoint for CQB situations as the ACOG is magnified and doesn't have the same flexible eye relief.

Afterburnt
10-01-2009, 8:34 PM
THT, I was leaning toward the EO's, which model do you like?

THT
10-01-2009, 8:40 PM
THT, I was leaning toward the EO's, which model do you like?

I jumped ship and now run Aimpoint Micro T1s but the 553 I had was pretty sweet. It's overkill for most applications and you can save some coin if you get a non-NVG compatible model.

joelogic
10-01-2009, 9:07 PM
I run a 552 and love it. With most things it depends on your use. Super fast target acquistion and less than 100yds, EOtech.

Afterburnt
10-01-2009, 9:17 PM
THT, why did you switch?

Trendkill
10-01-2009, 9:19 PM
You said rugged....so I say Aimpoint. Eotech doesnt have the ruggedness of an Aimpoint.

THT
10-01-2009, 9:33 PM
THT, why did you switch?

Longer battery life and the 553 had a "voluntary" recall to fix a battery issue.

Hk996
10-01-2009, 9:37 PM
I have a couple EOtechs... one that uses the N battery and another that runs AA battery's. The N battery model (forget which one it is...) has a shorter profile which is nice... you always have to keep spare battery's with you, cause they seem to go out because they were accidentally left on. The I use most is on my Hk UMP (USC) and I love it for indoor ranges and ASR on the pistol side steel.

I also have a couple Acogs (TAO1 and TRD 31 with red dot) mounted on my ARs... these are great scopes, they have a compesator for bullet drop at longer distances which is really nice. Optics are clear and bright.

I love them both depending on what I'm using them for.

aplinker
10-01-2009, 11:11 PM
100-500yds, nothing beats an ACOG

0-150yds, nothing beats an RDS.

Choose based on your needs.

Justintoxicated
10-01-2009, 11:19 PM
You said rugged....so I say Aimpoint. Eotech doesnt have the ruggedness of an Aimpoint.

except that if you break the glass on the aimpoint it will no longer work, but it can on an Eotech.

Although I guess thats what backup sights are for.

Rugged = ACOG that thing is just simply bad ***. if you can look through all 3 and you will know why ACOG + Dr Optic on top is the king (as the price tag suggests) I went with Eotech and Dm Premium Magnifier. While it's nice its also bulkey and heavy compared to ACOG and the ACOG has a much greater FOV when magnified. Will you be shooting targets or clearing rooms more often?

I do like the 1 MOA dot on my Eotech 516, they released the XPS right after I bought my 516 or I would have gone with that. Shorter profile and much better battery life than the N-cell junk. I would not get a 511. I'm still on my origional set of batteries in the 516 and it has been some months (I don't get out often enough :p).

But if ACOG is in the list I vote for that! Just to expensive for me.

Trendkill
10-01-2009, 11:40 PM
except that if you break the glass on the aimpoint it will no longer work, but it can on an Eotech.

Although I guess thats what backup sights are for.

Rugged = ACOG that thing is just simply bad ***. if you can look through all 3 and you will know why ACOG + Dr Optic on top is the king (as the price tag suggests) I went with Eotech and Dm Premium Magnifier. While it's nice its also bulkey and heavy compared to ACOG and the ACOG has a much greater FOV when magnified. Will you be shooting targets or clearing rooms more often?

I do like the 1 MOA dot on my Eotech 516, they released the XPS right after I bought my 516 or I would have gone with that. Shorter profile and much better battery life than the N-cell junk. I would not get a 511. I'm still on my origional set of batteries in the 516 and it has been some months (I don't get out often enough :p).

But if ACOG is in the list I vote for that! Just to expensive for me.

But an ACOG just doesnt do it for me in a CQC application......I have yet to hear of an aimpoint breaking its glass either.

Purple K
10-01-2009, 11:54 PM
I love my Eotech 552. For the price of an ACOG you can by an Eotech and a magnifier and still have money left over.

chsk9
10-02-2009, 12:00 AM
100-500yds, nothing beats an ACOG

0-150yds, nothing beats an RDS.

Choose based on your needs.

My needs are 0-500 yds :rolleyes: Now what?

Black Majik
10-02-2009, 12:10 AM

ACOG with a J-point ontop.

penguin156
10-02-2009, 12:15 AM
On my personal SHTF rifle I have an Eotech. I love the thing and at short ranges I can acquire targets faster than I ever could with an ACOG. If you're going to do primarily up close and personal shooting, hands down go with the Eotech.

That being said, I had an RCO (ACOG) on my rifle while patrolling the streets or Ramadi, Iraq and I wouldn't have had it any other way. Though the Eotech would have been a little nicer for the room clearing side of things, the ACOG out shined the Eotech in every other area. Patrolling down a street, I like to have some range, and the ACOG gave me that, as well as gave me the ability to get a better look at things in the distance. Also, the ACOG didn't need batteries and was one of the most durable optics that I've ever worked with. Almost forgot to mention, I'm in love with the chevron reticle and the drop compensator. At most distances you can line the chevron tips up with the head and shoulders and you're hitting vitals.

If you are going to clear rooms, Eotech. If you are going to do anything with distance, ACOG. If you are going to do a mixture, IMHO I'd rather clear a room with an ACOG than shoot someone down the street with an Eotech.

dchang0
10-02-2009, 12:18 AM
But an ACOG just doesnt do it for me in a CQC application...

It works--you just have to avoid trying to focus and just let the reticle become one giant glowing dot. Too many ACOG users try to actually aim at close ranges--it's better to "shoot through the tube" at anything CQB-distance.

devildog999
10-02-2009, 12:18 AM
I'd go with the EOTech

Better field of view is certainly a big reason IMHO

Cost is a bit high but worth every penny

Justintoxicated
10-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Don't forget you can get a Dr Optic for the ACOG for CQC.

I'm not putting down the Eotech, thats what I use, and I prefer the reticle over the Aimpoint, however aimpoints are still very nice in other ways, perhaps more reliable. But yea 4x magnifier w/ Larue FTS mount + Eotech is less money than 1/2 of teh cost of an ACOG with a Dr Optic on it. I'd take the advice from the guy in iraq, which is not where I am. Magnification for me is almost always better than non magnification :)

Once I looked through an ACOG I told myself I would one day have to get one. But i'll probably end up with an accupoint scope instead.

chsk9
10-02-2009, 12:27 AM
On my personal SHTF rifle I have an Eotech. I love the thing and at short ranges I can acquire targets faster than I ever could with an ACOG. If you're going to do primarily up close and personal shooting, hands down go with the Eotech.

That being said, I had an RCO (ACOG) on my rifle while patrolling the streets or Ramadi, Iraq and I wouldn't have had it any other way. Though the Eotech would have been a little nicer for the room clearing side of things, the ACOG out shined the Eotech in every other area. Patrolling down a street, I like to have some range, and the ACOG gave me that, as well as gave me the ability to get a better look at things in the distance. Also, the ACOG didn't need batteries and was one of the most durable optics that I've ever worked with. Almost forgot to mention, I'm in love with the chevron reticle and the drop compensator. At most distances you can line the chevron tips up with the head and shoulders and you're hitting vitals.

If you are going to clear rooms, Eotech. If you are going to do anything with distance, ACOG. If you are going to do a mixture, IMHO I'd rather clear a room with an ACOG than shoot someone down the street with an Eotech.

Nicely summed up. Always nice to hear it from someone who has real world experience. Thank you for your service.

aplinker
10-02-2009, 12:52 PM

I like and train with both.

I can extend an Aimpoint to 200yds without issue, but beyond that it's point and pray.

If you're capable of it, you can use BAC to shorten up the use of the ACOG (essentially your brain puts the dot where into a 1X view by transposing from the scope eye to the non-scope). It's still pretty fast, but not as fast as an actual RDS.

Weight is also a factor, as a T-1 aimpoint is about 1/3 the weight of an ACOG.

On the other hand you can add a magnifier to the RDS or an RDS to the ACOG - both are OK solutions that just cost a more. There's also the Elcan.

The 100% honest answer is that software trumps hardware.

The above opinion that they'd rather have an ACOG is just an opinion. There are plenty who feel the other way. I'm personally about 55/45 on ACOG over RDS. Spend some time behind your rifle with irons. Then try both an ACOG and an RDS. If you can, shoot at reactive targets at varying ranges. Try some 3-gun. Try a variable optic.

Only you can decide what you like and what fits best for your style and types of shooting.

JPurp
10-02-2009, 1:11 PM
My .02 on this. I recently replaced an EOTech with the Aimpoint Micro T-1. For me it was the weight that was the primary consideration. That said the optics on the T1 are excellent and I fell I have better peripheral vision with it vs the EOTech.

An unintended side effect I enjoy is increased battery life. In fact I leave the Micro on all the time where on the EOTech I was always concerned about turning it off.

I typically shoot between 15-100 yards so magnification is not a concern.

I think bottom line you can't go wrong with any of the three.

Army
10-02-2009, 1:16 PM
Ditto on the ACOG. CQB was easy, just used it like an Aimpoint...no focus, just put the red chevron on target.

ACOG was also much preferred when doing overwatch of the ECP, as we could see inside vehicles and pick targets. Same thing when the locals crowded up every morning, easy to pick out single targets that were causing trouble.

SCMA-1
10-02-2009, 1:17 PM
Botach has a good deal on the new compact Eotech XPS; 20% off coupon code:EOTECHXPS Knocks it down to $375.

http://www.botachtactical.com/eotechxps.html

yellowfin
10-02-2009, 1:30 PM
For those shying away from ACOG because of magnification, there are 2x and 1.5x ACOG models.

Afterburnt
10-02-2009, 6:14 PM
Botach has a good deal on the new compact Eotech XPS; 20% off coupon code:EOTECHXPS Knocks it down to $375.

I think I will go with this deal, for now...

Thanks for the link

Justintoxicated
10-02-2009, 7:33 PM
My .02 on this. I recently replaced an EOTech with the Aimpoint Micro T-1. For me it was the weight that was the primary consideration. That said the optics on the T1 are excellent and I fell I have better peripheral vision with it vs the EOTech.

An unintended side effect I enjoy is increased battery life. In fact I leave the Micro on all the time where on the EOTech I was always concerned about turning it off.

I typically shoot between 15-100 yards so magnification is not a concern.

I think bottom line you can't go wrong with any of the three.

You can have both!

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=272

If only I could afford all this cool stuff. ACOG 4x or 6x with this for CQ..

AlliedArmory
10-02-2009, 7:39 PM
I had an Aimpoint and loved it, but I shoot mainly at the range. So 100 yrds get boring real fast. I was fine with my Aimpoint up to maybe 200 yrds, but after that bleh.

I now run a ACOG and its the best money I have spent

but it all depends on what you will use it for. If it is longer range shooting, ACOG all the way if you can afford one

MikeR
10-02-2009, 9:58 PM
ACOG with a J-point ontop.

Thats where im at right now, except im thinking the J-point or whatever small red dot will be mounted on a 45deg block on the flat top rather than on top of the ACOG.

Personally i don't like the Eotechs sight and it seems bulky to me for a holo sight. Now add a magnifier too, its just not for me.

reidnez
10-02-2009, 10:20 PM
You can have both!

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=272

If only I could afford all this cool stuff. ACOG 4x or 6x with this for CQ..

You ain't kidding! $697 for that setup, which doesn't include the ACOG. Some day...for now, the CompM4 serves me well.

45R
10-02-2009, 11:18 PM

Pistol :chris:

Afterburnt
10-06-2009, 7:19 PM

I am glad I didnt see the bad press for Botach until after my order arrived. I did try to email and call them to see if I could change my order and never got an answer however, my order arrived in like two days.

BlackDrop50
10-06-2009, 7:34 PM
Seems like a lot of people badmouth Botach but I have never had a problem with them. They have some really good deals sometimes, and always ship fast.

I really wish they had the XPS series when I bought my 516. I would much rather have an XPS, and especially at $375, what a steal.