PDA

View Full Version : 9mm AR-15 Upper -Midwayusa.com Stinks!

dot429
10-01-2009, 4:50 PM
Time to vent a bit:

I don't even want to say how much money I've spent at midwayusa.com over the years. Heck, if my wife found out, she'd faint.

So get an email product notification reminder that this lovely 9mm AR-15 upper is in stock:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=924841

I've got the dough, I want a 9mm AR upper, so I call up and ask if they can ship we one without the high-cap magazine. I've already spoken with C Products, they make a 10 round version, so I figure how hard could it be to get Midwayusa.com to play ball?

I'm told by their customer service Rep., "..we cannot pull the magazine out of the package.." "we have no way of doing that."

WTF??

I asked to speak with a customer service Manager, who was nice enough, but she gave me the same line, word for word:

"..we cannot pull the magazine out of the package.." "we have no way of doing that."

I said, "well, that seems odd, someone has to physically pull the box of the shelf and package it up, no?"

Well, it's like arguing with idiots. I'm torqued off enough that I'm going to call good old Larry Potterfield himself and see if they value my patronage enough to take an extra minute to yank the stinking magazine out so I can a bloody 9mm upper!!!

Geez!!! I HATE CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh! !!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry for the rant.

tomd1584
10-01-2009, 4:53 PM
or you could buy a RRA from riflegear for cheaper....

http://riflegear.com/p-394-rra-9mm-a4-mid-length-upper.aspx

daerror12
10-01-2009, 4:57 PM
If they are not willing to remove the mag try some one else. I know that Adco has a A2 RRA 9mm upper for 500.00

dot429
10-01-2009, 5:00 PM
or you could buy a RRA from riflegear for cheaper....

http://riflegear.com/p-394-rra-9mm-a4-mid-length-upper.aspx

I appreciate that, I do realize that I could buy elsewhere; however, I am already established with midway, and because I have my C&R license, I get dealer pricing from them. I had hoped to take advantage of the discounted prices.

Oh well, more fun behind the RED curtain here in the PRK.

Best,

Michael

tomd1584
10-01-2009, 5:04 PM
I appreciate that, I do realize that I could buy elsewhere; however, I am already established with midway, and because I have my C&R license, I get dealer pricing from them. I had hoped to take advantage of the discounted prices.

Oh well, more fun behind the RED curtain here in the PRK.

Best,

Michael

I understand.

dot429
10-01-2009, 5:10 PM
Agreed.

I may just have the upper shipped to a buddy in AZ and have him keep the magazine. I've lived with 10 round mags for so long now, what difference does it make.

Of course I'd love to have the freedom choice to buy high-cap mags here, but it's beating a dead horse.

Best,

Michael

Super Spy
10-01-2009, 5:11 PM
Can you ship it to an out of state friend/family have them hold on to the mag and ship you the upper?

wildcard
10-01-2009, 5:12 PM
I wouldn't chalk this up to them not helping CA. They're willing to sell uppers to CA.. just not willing to break up a package. It's a large operation and it would a hassle with inventory if they started breaking up packages.

They can't just yank out a mag and save it for later without the system wondering why they have an extra mag and no bar code to scan it in with. Sure they can make overrides and exceptions.. but where does it stop?

tomd1584
10-01-2009, 5:14 PM
I wouldn't chalk this up to them not helping CA. They're willing to sell uppers to CA.. just not willing to break up a package. It's a large operation and it would a hassle with inventory if they started breaking up packages.

They can't just yank out a mag and save it for later without the system wondering why they have an extra mag and no bar code to scan it in with. Sure they can make overrides and exceptions.. but where does it stop?

I agree. edited my last post.

reidnez
10-01-2009, 5:16 PM
Can you ship it to an out of state friend/family have them hold on to the mag and ship you the upper?

I don't see any reason why not. It isn't a firearm, doesn't have to go to an FFL. The assembled >10rd. magazine coming in to California is the only legal issue.

They might give him flack about shipping to a different address than what appears on his C&R, even though again there is no legal issue there. That would just be merchant policy. Seems unlikely to me, but who knows...

paintballergb
10-01-2009, 5:20 PM
Maybe they use a 3rd party distributor.

DirtRacer151
10-01-2009, 9:39 PM
Maybe they use a 3rd party distributor.

i'll bet they do... they shipped me powder i ordered straight from the powder factory. It ticked me off because i had to pay 2 shipping charges :mad:

CHS
10-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Get the RRA from Riflegear. The OLY 9mm uppers are crap and use a really badly designed ejector that breaks. Not to mention absurdly expensive magazines.

The RRA or CMMG 9mm uppers are Colt clones and work great.

dot429
10-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Good to know about the Olympic arms 9mm upper issues. I did talk to C Products and they actually make the mags for the Oly 9mm upper. They have 10 rounders that aren't that expensive.

The thing I like about the Oly is that you don't have to change out the hammer. It seems that with the RRA, you have to spend another $237 on the "conversion kit" with the mag bloc, hammer, etc. The Olys are plug and play. I don't want to dedicate one of my lowers to the 9mm, though I've got enough not to worry, so maybe I should... hmmm...

As for midway, clearly they don't care about any one individual customer, they are moving so much volume they don't care how much money I have spent or might in the future. When I was kid, I worked in a couple of warehouses. In both of them, we had a "Special Orders" dept. that took care of just such orders, the special ones, i.e, the exceptions, the partials that the customer agreed to. Midway could throw the mag in the garbage; I'd still be paying them for the whole package.

If I can get Mr. Potterfield on the phone it will be interesting. If he isn't interested in helping me out, then maybe I'll just boycott them and might just suggest that a few Calgunners do as well. IIRC, Calguns got Mr. LaRue's attention, perhaps we can get good old Larry's too?

CA is the largest economy in the Union. Is midway so big for their britches that they can't be helpful to us CA customers who's money is just as good as the rest of the Country's?

I think it's total B.S. that midway gave the run-around.

You think anyone from midway has contacted the Governator regarding the ammo restriction bill?, hmmm... one would think that a lot of Kalifornians order ammo on line...

miguel
10-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Hope they can fix it for you. They did send out emails about the bill.