PDA

View Full Version : Basic question on OLL

Alex$
10-01-2009, 2:52 PM
Appendix B for AR type rifles shows "DPMS: Panther (all)" as prohibited. Does this mean I cannot start a build with a stripped DPMS lower?

I am considering a build but don't want any hassles.

Thanks.

Shane916
10-01-2009, 3:40 PM
Appendix B for AR type rifles shows "DPMS: Panther (all)" as prohibited. Does this mean I cannot start a build with a stripped DPMS lower?

Thanks.

Correct. You can not import a DPMS Panther lower.

Acorn556
10-04-2009, 6:34 PM
DPMS now makes an A-15 lower receiver. Make sure it's not a PANTHER.

DK9mm
10-04-2009, 6:46 PM
DPMS now makes an A-15 lower receiver. Make sure it's not a PANTHER.

I checked the site. Could not find it. Where did you see it?

Mssr. Eleganté
10-07-2009, 1:53 AM
I checked the site. Could not find it. Where did you see it?

I think the A-15 marked DMPS lowers were all made pre-2002, when the company was located in Becker, MN.

ar15barrels
10-07-2009, 10:24 AM
I have a DPMS lower that's NOT marked panther.
It's a cast receiver from around 2002 or so.

reidnez
10-07-2009, 10:53 AM
As long as it doesn't say "Panther," it's OK. The weapon or lower in question has to be on the list verbatim, by make and model in order to be listed.

It's easier to buy lowers locally anyway, plenty of dealers stock them these days. They won't sell you something that's listed because their FFL is at stake.

bwiese
10-07-2009, 11:15 AM

You should consider DPMS Panther-marked receivers as 'listed' and thus banned.

[For various reasons, plus some DOJ history, possession of a DPMS Panther might be defendable but you don't wanna go there - and we have no need to fight a "Son of Harrott" court case when there are a ton of other legal matters on the stove needing tending.]

There are some early mid-1990s cast DPMS receivers marked "A15" that do not have Panther logo or "Panther" text and which would not be considered as listed. As far as I know, every current DPMS receiver (and for maybe the last 5-8 yrs? of production) is marked with the Panther logo and "Panther" text.

There is absolutely NO reason to build a gun with a receiver that's listed (or borderline, etc.) and no need to game around that. There are tons of off-list receivers of fine quality. In fact just about all lowers will allow you to build a 100% working, accurate rifle - it's the upper that does all the work.

bwiese
10-07-2009, 11:16 AM
They won't sell you something that's listed because their FFL is at stake.

You'd be surprised. Some folks fail Basic Reading 101.

reidnez
10-07-2009, 11:33 AM
You'd be surprised. Some folks fail Basic Reading 101.

Good point! FWIW, I don't recall seeing any DPMS lowers at the SoCal shops I frequent. They probably don't want to toe the line, either.

Flying Bones
10-07-2009, 12:49 PM
...There is absolutely NO reason to build a gun with a receiver that's listed (or borderline, etc.) and no need to game around that...

I cant for the life of me understand why anyone would ever bother with buying a new "borderline" (even though its legal) lower when there are so many other fine lowers to be had.