PDA

View Full Version : The "SIA AKM200" shown in the Turner's ad?

Carlos Primero
10-01-2009, 3:44 PM
Does anybody know how this compares to a Saiga or whatever else is out there?

When I tried to do a Google search on "SIA AKM200" I didn't find anything, and unfortunately the font on this ad is too small for me to read ....

akspetsnaz
10-01-2009, 4:28 PM
looks very interesting.....

Turners is a winner again!

dieselpower
10-01-2009, 7:33 PM
$900....:ack2:

SPUTTER
10-01-2009, 8:27 PM
I checked it out and wasnt too impressed. I would rather pick up a Saiga for half the price. Its nice though to see Turners turning it around.

supermario
10-01-2009, 10:37 PM
They told me SIA was a company out of Vegas? I handled it, it felt like a typical wasr to me.

ke6guj
10-01-2009, 10:49 PM
probably http://www.sierraarms.com/ if it is SAI.
or http://www.specialinterestarms.com/ if it is SIA.

both companies do AK builds.

akspetsnaz
10-02-2009, 1:17 AM
I've heard many good things from SIA. Their rifles are very accurate.

Rem1492
10-02-2009, 2:29 AM
looks like a demilled WASR rifle, put on a US receiver and the pistol grip screw estucheon left out.

Yeah........go Saiga.

gn3hz3ku1*
10-02-2009, 7:16 PM
thank god for the new owners... price might be a bit high.. but it is way better than when we used to go in before and had to stare at bushy c15s

akspetsnaz
10-04-2009, 6:29 PM
Tried to check one out but they were all sold out at Turners!

supermario
10-04-2009, 6:33 PM
Tried to check one out but they were all sold out at Turners!

Which turners did you go to? I went to turners pasadena and they had some a few days ago..

AM9000
10-04-2009, 7:08 PM
Went and asked at Turners Signal Hill today. Each store got ONE unit.
Makes sense that it was the headline of the add!:thumbsup:

StevieC
10-04-2009, 7:19 PM
checked it out today

decent AK clone, everything is made in the US, tapco trigger etc

nice gun, 900 bucks? nope

AM9000
10-04-2009, 8:41 PM
Let me also add... I went to both the Signal Hill store and the Fountain Valley store... I had unusually friendly and informative service at both stores. Especially the Signal Hill store.

Maybe I will have to stop boycotting them for their past poor customer service and crappy policies.

CAAKMS
10-04-2009, 8:46 PM
Looks like the new owners have made a difference...

akspetsnaz
10-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Which turners did you go to? I went to turners pasadena and they had some a few days ago..

Sunday afternoon at the Pasadena store.

Need to see some pretty pics!

CAAKMS
10-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Here's a pic of on of the rifles. Not the greatest of pics, but it will do. Next step is getting a pistol grip and a grip nut and bolt to match. Does anyone know where I can get a matching grip with nut and bolt? Let me know what you think.

CAAKMS
10-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Ok, maybe this attachment will work.

gatdammit
10-05-2009, 1:53 PM
They got one at the Turners in Corona.

reidnez
10-05-2009, 2:01 PM
It might be a deal for $500-600, which is what a WASR will run you, but for $900 you could get two Saigas and a few boxes of ammo.

No thanks.

akspetsnaz
10-05-2009, 2:47 PM
everything is made in the US, tapco trigger etc

How do you know it is a Tapco trigger? I've heard they are all Bulgarian parts except the receiver.

CAAKMS
10-05-2009, 3:00 PM
Much nicer and cleaner than a WASR, wood looks amazing. I wanted the option of having the threaded barrel, ability to take standard AK stock sets/pistol grips and bayonet lug. I checked into converting a Saiga and parts/labor was too expensive. I guess if you're looking for a beater AK and you don't care what it looks like, than a WASR is fine.
Trigger says Tapco on the side of it.

AM9000
10-05-2009, 8:23 PM
After doing some research and going back to Turners, I pulled the trigger (figuratively) on one of these.

-Lifetime warenty.
-Cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel.
-All new parts - no used kit components.
-Shepard's hook replacement plate and buffer installed
-Tapico G2 trigger group
-Really nice parkerizing and overall finish.
-Extremely nice wood. Better than any other laminate I have seen.

The WASR isn't really a comparison.
The only thing I found available at Socal shops, that is really a comparison is the Lancasters.

I played with one of those at Ammo Bros. Nice, but the wood was a strange color and the finish wasn't as nice as the SIA. The SIA has a really nice flat, even parkerizing. I thought all of these things were worth an extra $50.

Ranger report in about two weeks...

69Mach1
10-05-2009, 8:31 PM
After doing some research and going back to Turners, I pulled the trigger (figuratively) on one of these.

-Lifetime warenty.
-Cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel.
-All new parts - no used kit components.
-Shepard's hook replacement plate and buffer installed
-Tapico G2 trigger group
-Really nice parkerizing and overall finish.
-Extremely nice wood. Better than any other laminate I have seen.

The WASR isn't really a comparison.
The only thing I found available at Socal shops, that is really a comparison is the Lancasters.

I played with one of those at Ammo Bros. Nice, but the wood was a strange color and the finish wasn't as nice as the SIA. The SIA has a really nice flat, even parkerizing. I thought all of these things were worth an extra $50.

Ranger report in about two weeks...

Could you please confirm all of the markings on the receiver? Pictures of markings on the trunnion and pics of the front sight would be nice too, to help identify the parts kit that these rifles are assembled from. What are the compliance parts? Thanks.

1911su16b870
10-05-2009, 8:59 PM
I handled one at Turners RB, the wood furniture was very nice on it!

thedrickel
10-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Pics of the left side of the trunnion and the receiver markings.

AM9000
10-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Took the SIA AK out to Burro Canyon today. It preformed very well. you will notice I added the Romanian bake-a-lite grip, and green canvas sling. I also added the slant brake. I fed it the Yugo 7.62 military brass cased from J&G sales. Did a real good cleaning because its corrosive.

I shot it at 50 yards today. Was on paper without doing any site adjustment. Worked very well. I was surprised that the mags I ordered from Henderson Defense worked better than the supplied 10rd mag. It didn't work about half the time. The metal surplus Henderson 30 rounders, (10/30) worked perfect.

I even did the perfunctory bump fire. GTG.

The left side trunnion is marked with simply "EH 7710" with no year...? and all the numbers I found are the matching, IE- bolt, rear trunnion, carrier, gas tube.

Side note: The solar tactical mag-lock is a PAIN!@!!@@ I final have the trick down to make it actually work. Anyway, not the ideal setup. Any better functioning options besides going featureless?

http://www.the9000.com/ak.jpg

Rob454
10-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Damn by the time youre done paying for that thing you're almost at 930$ or so.
Kinda expensive for a AK isnt it? its nice (and I'm glad Turners is finally coming around i may give them a shot to buy something just to see how they are CS wise) but i dont think its 900$ nice.
Holy Krap a .22 Ak is 520$ now? And a Ruger P345 SS slide is $479$

69Mach1
10-17-2009, 11:58 PM
Took the SIA AK out to Burro Canyon today. It preformed very well. you will notice I added the Romanian bake-a-lite grip, and green canvas sling. I also added the slant brake. I fed it the Yugo 7.62 military brass cased from J&G sales. Did a real good cleaning because its corrosive.

I shot it at 50 yards today. Was on paper without doing any site adjustment. Worked very well. I was surprised that the mags I ordered from Henderson Defense worked better than the supplied 10rd mag. It didn't work about half the time. The metal surplus Henderson 30 rounders, (10/30) worked perfect.

I even did the perfunctory bump fire. GTG.

The left side trunnion is marked with simply "EH 7710" with no year...? and all the numbers I found are the matching, IE- bolt, rear trunnion, carrier, gas tube.
Side note: The solar tactical mag-lock is a PAIN!@!!@@ I final have the trick down to make it actually work. Anyway, not the ideal setup. Any better functioning options besides going featureless?

Congratulations. Those are made on Hungarian AKM parts kits. Where the heck did they get them from I wonder?

Rob454
10-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Congratulations. Those are made on Hungarian AKM parts kits. Where the heck did they get them from I wonder?

I think Hungary but i may be wrong

69Mach1
10-18-2009, 12:41 AM
I think Hungary but i may be wrong

:D :p

What I meant was, where the heck did they find recent Hungarian AKM parts kit's from? The regular AKM's, not the AMD's haven't been seen in awhile.

AM9000
10-18-2009, 8:35 AM
How can you tell it's Hungarian?

blackberg
10-18-2009, 9:01 AM
they probably are the reason they havent been out in a while, they probably ket them all
-bb

69Mach1
10-18-2009, 10:17 AM
How can you tell it's Hungarian?

Below is a picture of my pinned stock, locked 10 round mag builds. The top was built using a Romanian parts kit. The bottom is a Hungarian AMD-65 parts kit. Notice the lack of the "lightning cut" on the bolt carrier, behind the charging handle, on the Hungarian. Compare that to yours. Also, the serial number on the trunnion gives it away. My trunnion serial number is EH ****.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/DSC04427.jpg

Fantasma
10-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Is it worth the extra cost for hungarian AK's?

PolishMike
10-18-2009, 10:35 AM

Ive used about 5 different AK mag locks and LOVE the solar tactical. Easiest one to use IMO. what problems are you having?

AM9000
10-18-2009, 10:37 AM
...Also, on the right side of the front trunnion, there is an E in a circle. Does that tell us anything?

69Mach1
10-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Is it worth the extra cost for hungarian AK's?

Yes it is, over a Romy parts kit, but not that much. The problem here is that we have only seen detailed pics from one example from an owner. I looked at some of the Turners ad's and they have AK's pictured with bolt carriers that have the "lightning cuts". We need more examples to examine.

AM9000
10-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Ive used about 5 different AK mag locks and LOVE the solar tactical. Easiest one to use IMO. what problems are you having?

The spring in my mag latch is pretty stout. A little bummed its not easier to get the latch pushed forward enough to get the mag out. It was near impossible to do with a bullet. I used a small screw driver and that made it semi easy.

In all fairness I realize it isnt the design of the Solar tac lock... More my particular spring that makes it difficult. *and the stupid CA laws.

Also, this was my first time shooting an AK equipped with a mag lock, so It may very well be the easiest, but I have nothing to compare it too.

69Mach1
10-18-2009, 10:44 AM
...Also, on the right side of the front trunnion, there is an E in a circle. Does that tell us anything?

I have the same proof marks/ factory markings on mine.

By the way, take a look at your gas tube locking lever and compare how the lever is locked down on yours to mine. Yours is swung all of the way down. It only needs to lock into the detent on the side.

Also, does your rear sight go to 800 or 1000?

AM9000
10-18-2009, 10:47 AM
I have the same proof marks/ factory markings on mine.

By the way, take a look at your gas tube locking lever and compare how the lever is locked down on yours to mine. Yours is swung all of the way down. It only needs to lock into the detent on the side.

Also, does your rear sight go to 800 or 1000?

The rear sight goes to 800.

AM9000
10-19-2009, 4:37 PM
Just saw another brand of AK at turners. This one is $650 and made by I.O. Inc. Wasn't as nice as the SIA AK. The finish on the IO looked similar to a WASR. I read the IO AK has a non chrome lined barrel made by Mossberg.

Anyone know anything about these I.O. Ak47's?

69Mach1
10-19-2009, 7:29 PM
Holy Crap! I hope it's not the AK47 C. Marked receiver you guys.

AM9000
10-19-2009, 7:42 PM
What is the marked receiver and its significance? Please excuse my AK newbness"....

lorax3
10-19-2009, 7:48 PM
What is the marked receiver and its significance? Please excuse my AK newbness"....

Certain rifles are banned by name in CA. Which means rifles with certain receivers that are on the banned list are a felony for simple possession.

AM9000
10-19-2009, 8:02 PM
Certain rifles are banned by name in CA. Which means rifles with certain receivers that are on the banned list are a felony for simple possession.

Oh...

Does anyone know anything about this builder?

lorax3
10-19-2009, 8:11 PM
It would be determined by how the receiver is marked.

See the Appendixes' on the second page of the flowchart for more info.

Flowchart (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf).

If the receiver was marked 'Inter Ordinance AK-47 C' or some other letter designation after AK-47 there would be an issue.

AM9000
10-19-2009, 8:20 PM
I don't think its an issue. I doubt Turners and IO inc would attempt to sell a banned on-list AK. I am asking for opinions, views on the company that assembles these rifles.

69Mach1
10-20-2009, 8:15 AM
I don't think its an issue. I doubt Turners and IO inc would attempt to sell a banned on-list AK. I am asking for opinions, views on the company that assembles these rifles.

There was talk that IO changed the name of the rifle again, to comply with CA AW laws. Do us a favor. The next time you happen to be there, check out the rifle again and write down all of the markings, everything, and let us know.

Going back to your rifle, I think you have a "mutt" there. The serial number and bolt indicate it's a Hungarian parts kit. The 800 meter rear sight makes it an AMD-65, but the front end is interesting. Probably romanian parts.....gas block and front sight. Since the gas tube matches the trunnion, then what they probably did was lengthen the short AMD-65 gas tube to regular AK length. Does your lower handguard retainer have more than 1 hole in it? One hole to capture the cleaning rod. Any additional?

AM9000
10-20-2009, 10:50 AM
There was talk that IO changed the name of the rifle again, to comply with CA AW laws. Do us a favor. The next time you happen to be there, check out the rifle again and write down all of the markings, everything, and let us know.

Going back to your rifle, I think you have a "mutt" there. The serial number and bolt indicate it's a Hungarian parts kit. The 800 meter rear sight makes it an AMD-65, but the front end is interesting. Probably romanian parts.....gas block and front sight. Since the gas tube matches the trunnion, then what they probably did was lengthen the short AMD-65 gas tube to regular AK length. Does your lower handguard retainer have more than 1 hole in it? One hole to capture the cleaning rod. Any additional?

How dare you Sir, refer to my rifle as a "Mutt". I challenge you to a duel. :chris: - JK - I think it just has the one hole.

Off topic AK question...
I am thinking of one more AK purchase... I am tempted to get a WASR as a beater rifle. I like the looks of the MD-90 ... How hard would it be to switch out the stock on a WASR to a wire side folder like the MD-90?

69Mach1
10-20-2009, 11:03 AM
How dare you Sir, refer to my rifle as a "Mutt". I challenge you to a duel. :chris: - JK - I think it just has the one hole.

Off topic AK question...
I am thinking of one more AK purchase... I am tempted to get a WASR as a beater rifle. I like the looks of the MD-90 ... How hard would it be to switch out the stock on a WASR to a wire side folder like the MD-90?

Simple replacement. The Romanian wire (side) folders don't require a special rear trunnion. Just the standard fixed stock rear trunnion will work.

AM9000
10-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the info 69Mach1!

69Mach1
10-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the info 69Mach1!

Your welcome. What time is the duel?

69Mach1
10-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Romanian side folder stocks.
http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=32_34&products_id=1878&osCsid=b81a5166b0fc692cdcbf9eeecbbd046c

shooterdave
10-20-2009, 10:01 PM
i got to take a look at the io ak type rifle today at the turners in chino hills. one was a stg 2000c with black furniture the other was laminiated wood and had the original ak-47c marking ground off and CASAR on the trunion. both were 649.95. the build quality looked good with both having u.s. barrels. the stg 2000c had no markings on the trunion. i don't know who made the receivers overall both looked good they came with mags and no pistol grips. i assume thet the markings were removed by ioc and the new model CASAR to make it offlist. i would have bought the laminated version but had no money. the parts appeared to be romanian in origin with P on the rear sight.

69Mach1
10-20-2009, 10:03 PM
i got to take a look at the io ak type rifle today at the turners in chino hills. one was a stg 2000c with black furniture the other was laminiated wood and had the original ak-47c marking ground off and CASAR on the trunion. both were 649.95. the build quality looked good with both having u.s. barrels. the stg 2000c had no markings on the trunion. i don't know who made the receivers overall both looked good they came with mags and no pistol grips. i assume thet the markings were removed by ioc and the new model CASAR to make it offlist. i would have bought the laminated version but had no money. the parts appeared to be romanian in origin with P on the rear sight.

Thanks shooterdave. That confirms that IO changed the name and removed the offending markings from the trunnion to comply with CA AW laws. You're correct about the parts kit's being Romanian.

69Mach1
10-20-2009, 10:13 PM
One last question. Did the STG2000C receiver have magazine well dimples?

AM9000
10-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Was the barrel chrome lined? ... I know IO was using non-chrome lined Mossberg barrels at one point.

shooterdave
10-20-2009, 10:24 PM
both had dimples and the barrel did not "appear" chromelined. it might be but i kinda doubt it. the stg 2000c is the new style with u.s. receiver the older style i believe were just dressed up wasr's.

AM9000
10-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks Shooterdave

69Mach1
10-20-2009, 10:30 PM
both had dimples and the barrel did not "appear" chromelined. it might be but i kinda doubt it. the stg 2000c is the new style with u.s. receiver the older style i believe were just dressed up wasr's.

Correct again. The old imported Romanian WASR style STG2000C receivers didn't have dimples. The new ones built on US made receivers do have them.

shooterdave
10-20-2009, 10:52 PM
the mystery to me is who make the receivers for IOC?

69Mach1
10-21-2009, 9:14 AM
the mystery to me is who make the receivers for IOC?

I guess we could call and ask, but as long as it's not marked with listed name, no worries. By the way, for anyone interested in an RPK, IO is building one.

shooterdave
10-21-2009, 9:38 AM
it's probably their own receiver or made for them. thats cool that they are making an rpk i may have to look into that..........

AM9000
10-21-2009, 10:22 AM
69Mach1,
You think this IO AK is better than a WASR? I doubt the barrel is hammer forged. I am thinking WASR...

reidnez
10-21-2009, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't buy it on principle. I'm still pissed at Turner's for refusing to do a PPT on my bone-stock Saiga, the legality of which has never even been in question, while they turn around and sell fixed-magazine AK's and VZ's. Riddle me that BS, batman.

The clerk at the store said he knew it was stupid, but it was corporate policy. Fair enough. My personal policy is not to go there.

69Mach1
10-21-2009, 1:04 PM
69Mach1,
You think this IO AK is better than a WASR? I doubt the barrel is hammer forged. I am thinking WASR...

Yes. The IO built AKM's are much better. Barrels from now on will be US made. We need to accept it. I also think chrome lining isn't that important on a civillian AK.

MasterYong
10-21-2009, 1:33 PM
By the way, for anyone interested in an RPK, IO is building one.

For the AK-uninitiated, what's the differences between the two? Advantages? Disadvantages?

...wikipedia seems to think they're basically the same rifle.

(and looking at IO's website... this has gotta be a typo: http://ioinc.us/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IO&Product_Code=MOSI0020&Category_Code=Long+Guns $79? PRICE AS MARKED :D )

69Mach1
10-21-2009, 2:12 PM
The RPK is a long, heavy barreled, light machine gun for sustained fire in the support role. They typically have a bulged, heavy front trunnion and sometimes a thicker receiver. A special lower handguard retainer is used with thethicker handguard, and it has that unique clubfoot butt stock.

MasterYong
10-21-2009, 2:20 PM
The RPK is a long, heavy barreled, light machine gun for sustained fire in the support role. They typically have a bulged, heavy front trunnion and sometimes a thicker receiver. A special lower handguard retainer is used with thethicker handguard, and it has that unique clubfoot butt stock.

Thankee kindly sir!

shooterdave
10-21-2009, 5:55 PM
IOC will be generally better quality than any wasr. the ones i handled yesterday seemed well built. chromelining in the barrel matters only if you are shooting corrosive ammunition. the IOC ak's will outlast most of us, an IOC RPK would be cool to see.

AM9000
10-21-2009, 8:59 PM
Who isnt shooting corrosive 7.62 at least part of the time? I will take a new surplus chrome lined, hammer forged barrel over a cheap non-chrome lined, non hammer forged button barrel any day.
Am I missing something?

shooterdave
10-21-2009, 10:14 PM
same here i prefer a hammer forged chromelined barrel i'm just saying that its not really necessary. they yugo ak's don't have chrome lined barrels but that probably explains why some of them are in horrible condition. it's basically personal preference i simply reported what i saw on the IOC rifles. i'd rather get an arsenal SGL series rifle with true russian made barrels.

69Mach1
10-22-2009, 8:12 PM
Check it out.
http://www.turners.com/engage/ads/10-23-09/ioinc.gif

shooterdave
10-22-2009, 9:22 PM
:D that awsome!

RAMCHARGER
10-30-2009, 11:28 AM
I went to see the CASAR at the Orange/Anaheim store but they were out.