PDA

View Full Version : Gun Lube

Roverking
10-01-2009, 1:56 PM
What kinds of gun lube do you guys use. There are so many choices. I've head molly lube is a good type. Suggestions?

Cal-Irish
10-01-2009, 1:58 PM
For rifles I use Mobil 1 15w-50. It does everything I ask of it.

Vtec44
10-01-2009, 1:59 PM
I use standard lithium grease to lube my guns. So far, it's been working well. Synthetic motorcycle oil works good too, but evaporates quicker than lithium grease.

RECCE556
10-01-2009, 2:03 PM
Lubriplate for grease, Mobil 1 or any Synthetic oil for regular lube...been using it for years, works as good as any "gun" oil I've ever tried....

lawaia
10-01-2009, 2:13 PM
First of all, what gun is it being applied to? I'm assuming it is for an AR, since that seems to be the most discussed platform here. There are so many opinions on this, you could search the internet for days on end looking for advice. Trust me, I have tried to find a general consensus, and failed miserably. I say try different ones until you find one you like. I am currently switching from CLP to SLIP2000 EWL for my AR. I have read really good things about it: like it won't cook off and it is resistant to sand and dirt debris.

Truthfully, most gun lube will probably work just fine for the average Joe shooter (like me).

My .02.:)

tomd1584
10-01-2009, 2:14 PM
i think you'll get a different answer from each person. I use Slip2000 EWL it works great. it doesnt run off like CLP and lasts much, much longer. one drop is all you need!

Bug Splat
10-01-2009, 2:22 PM
I use CLP. Its cheap, comes in small stowaway bottles and its safe to use on firearms with wood. There are some other great lubs out there but some can be harmful to wood. To make things simple for myself I just use CLP on everything.

hellraiser
10-01-2009, 2:40 PM
a bottle of this stuff was given to me...
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=27&catid=2&loc=show

works for my needs....

Barney Gumble
10-01-2009, 2:52 PM
Pretty much any oil is fine as long as you apply it at the appropriate intervals.

I used to use CLP but I've switched over to Slip 2000 for anything that requires oil. It's non-toxic and lasts longer than CLP.

For Garands and M1A's that require grease I use white lithium grease from Home Depot, I don't even know the brand.

Roverking
10-01-2009, 2:58 PM
Wow thanks for the response! So you guys use lube and grease? Where would I want what? (if that makes sense)

tomd1584
10-01-2009, 3:22 PM
grease tends to build up and not get into certain spots like lube would...If you're gonna use it, i'd only use it on the rails of the Bolt carrier where it rides in the upper receiver.

stuntdummy
10-01-2009, 3:26 PM
Wow thanks for the response! So you guys use lube and grease? Where would I want what? (if that makes sense)

I think this is a hint:
Olive oil for parts that turn on other parts, and Crisco for parts that slide on other parts.

10-01-2009, 3:38 PM
I usually scrub it down with solvent, then apply a layer of Militec-1. It takes only a few drops to do the job, and never have runoff or attract dirt or fouling.

swerv512
10-01-2009, 3:45 PM
what specifically are you trying to lubricate? i use more than one type of lube on a firearm depending on the function of the part.

fliparch
10-01-2009, 4:17 PM
Hoppes for all my guns.

CHS
10-01-2009, 4:43 PM
First, read this:

http://grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Second, get yourself some Lubriplate FGL-0 and some ATF. I don't use anything else anymore, and this is about the cheapest solution.

* = I spoke with Grant and he confirmed that the FGL is a nearly-identical replacement for the hard-to-find SFL mentioned in the article.

RECCE556
10-01-2009, 5:01 PM
Lubriplate FGL/SFL and some ATF. I don't use anything else anymore, and this is about the cheapest solution.
Yup, this is the Lubriplate I use. Someone had some Lubriplate for sale in 16oz containers here on CalGuns. And yes, ATF works very well, I use that too (in addition to motor oil).

Folks, don't waste your money on the high dollar stuff like Slip/CLP/Miltech/etc. I've tried them all and none of them are any better (and in some cases, worse) than Mobil1/ATF. Trust me, I'm all about spending the money WHEN IT'S WORTH IT...those high dollar "gun oils" are NOT worth it.

tomd1584
10-01-2009, 5:10 PM
Yup, this is the Lubriplate I use. Someone had some Lubriplate for sale in 16oz containers here on CalGuns. And yes, ATF works very well, I use that too (in addition to motor oil).

Folks, don't waste your money on the high dollar stuff like Slip/CLP/Miltech/etc. I've tried them all and none of them are any better (and in some cases, worse) than Mobil1/ATF. Trust me, I'm all about spending the money WHEN IT'S WORTH IT...those high dollar "gun oils" are NOT worth it.

see, i disagree. but i'll agree to disagree. I've had a 4oz bottle of slip2000 last more than 1500 rounds and its still half full....i'd say that a pretty good $12.50 investment.

swerv512
10-01-2009, 5:16 PM
SLIP2000 > the WORLD!!

SanSacto
10-01-2009, 5:26 PM
This stuff rocks......available in both oil and grease too!

http://www.steelshieldtech.com/mainpage/images/stories/shields/weapon.jpg

RECCE556
10-01-2009, 6:00 PM
see, i disagree. but i'll agree to disagree. I've had a 4oz bottle of slip2000 last more than 1500 rounds and its still half full....i'd say that a pretty good $12.50 investment.
Hey, if it works for you, more power to ya! Slip 2000 is good stuff (unlike some other "super oils") but I've done 3-day carbine course (2000-2500 rounds) and use about 1/4 to 1/2oz of ATF and that was probably excessive. My carbine didn't stop, I was just doing "preventative" lubrication (hey now...).

1 Quart (32oz) of Mobil1 ATF is $7...now THAT'S a good investment....and the best thing about ATF or Motor oil....YOU CAN GET IT PRACTICALLY ANYWHERE. :)

I tell you what, why not try a QUART of ATF or Syn. Oil at $0.22/oz and see if it does any worse then your $3.13/oz Slip 2000. ATF is so cheap, you can slather yourself in it before you shoot (kinda like what Randall does....) :)

tomd1584
10-01-2009, 6:23 PM
Hey, if it works for you, more power to ya! Slip 2000 is good stuff (unlike some other "super oils") but I've done 3-day carbine course (2000-2500 rounds) and use about 1/4 to 1/2oz of ATF and that was probably excessive. My carbine didn't stop, I was just doing "preventative" lubrication (hey now...).

1 Quart (32oz) of Mobil1 ATF is $7...now THAT'S a good investment....and the best thing about ATF or Motor oil....YOU CAN GET IT PRACTICALLY ANYWHERE. :)

I tell you what, why not try a QUART of ATF or Syn. Oil at $0.22/oz and see if it does any worse then your $3.13/oz Slip 2000. ATF is so cheap, you can slather yourself in it before you shoot (kinda like what Randall does....) :)

yea, but is your ATF or motor oil biodegradable and non-toxic? :p

like i said in an earlier post, i've tried mobil 1 oil and grease. wasnt for me.:surrender:

I've spent 12.50 on much worse things....

fcr
10-01-2009, 7:26 PM
CaptnTroy had the lubriplate for sale.

THT
10-01-2009, 7:28 PM
Weaponshield FTW!

AlliedArmory
10-01-2009, 7:28 PM
Hoppe's gun oil. cheap and works fine

CHS
10-01-2009, 7:47 PM
http://grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

* = I spoke with Grant and he confirmed that the FGL is a nearly-identical replacement for the hard-to-find SFL mentioned in the article.

I actually re-read this article and it appears that Grant has updated it a bunch since the last time I read it.

Now he actually mentions the FGL by name as the good SFL replacement.

AWESOME!

For those that are stuck on their weird wonder-lubes, why? Honestly, why? Have you actually read this article? Have you read up on the points he makes and seen why he makes those points?

The bottom line is, there are NO BETTER lubricants for firearms than the ones mentioned. Do you understand what that means? NO BETTER. Your wonder-lubes might be the same, or worse, but they aren't better.

So seriously, why on earth do you spend the money?

PutTogether
10-01-2009, 8:11 PM
For those that are stuck on their weird wonder-lubes, why? Honestly, why? Have you actually read this article? Have you read up on the points he makes and seen why he makes those points?

The bottom line is, there are NO BETTER lubricants for firearms than the ones mentioned. Do you understand what that means? NO BETTER. Your wonder-lubes might be the same, or worse, but they aren't better.

There is a point of diminishing returns to "cheap." To the average person, or at least the average person that can afford to own and operate a firearm - I can't imagine the difference between .25 cents an ounce, and $2 an ounce, at least on a product in which most would be hard pressed to USE an ounce in a year.

While I can certainly agree that if ATF fluid works, just use it and don't fret about every new wonder lube that comes around, I don't think it negates any other gun oil just because it is cheaper.

I like Militec. I like it because even though a tiny bottle might cost what a quart of ATF will - it is in a nice little convenient leak proof bottle and will work about the same. I don't think it will work better, and I don't lose any sleep over it at all. At the same time, I don't have to worry about a quart bottle of ATF in my range bag, or have to transfer to smaller bottles/vials.

IF, and that is a capital IF, two different items work very close to the same, the difference between costing five cents and costing a dollar is next to none. Like if an island costs a trillion dollars or ten trillion dollars - it just doesn't matter.

That is the "why" at least for me.

PutTogether
10-01-2009, 8:13 PM
BTW bdsmchs - if that is really your license plate, I hate you. Hate out of jealousy both for you having it, and for thinking of the idea first. I've always wanted to tell you that.

Barney Gumble
10-01-2009, 8:20 PM

I only spend maybe $5/year on lube and that's for Slip 2000 so why even worry about it?

CHS
10-01-2009, 8:31 PM
BTW bdsmchs - if that is really your license plate, I hate you. Hate out of jealousy both for you having it, and for thinking of the idea first. I've always wanted to tell you that.

That is my real license plate :)

I only spend maybe $5/year on lube and that's for Slip 2000 so why even worry about it?

Why worry about it? Because Slip 2000 isn't better than ATF/FGL. It's probably not as good as ATF/FGL. That's why I worry about it and that's why I don't understand anyone who wouldn't use the best for their firearms.

Especially when the best actually saves you money.

tomd1584
10-01-2009, 8:35 PM
That is my real license plate :)

Why worry about it? Because Slip 2000 isn't better than ATF/FGL. It's probably not as good as ATF/FGL. That's why I worry about it and that's why I don't understand anyone who wouldn't use the best for their firearms.

Especially when the best actually saves you money.

I like slip2000, and i'm sure its just as good as ATF. plus is non-toxic. But to each their own, :handshake:

CHS
10-01-2009, 8:53 PM
I like slip2000, and i'm sure its just as good as ATF. plus is non-toxic. But to each their own, :handshake:

I like my lube to be just as deadly as the guns they're used on! :)

RECCE556
10-01-2009, 9:28 PM
I like my lube to be just as deadly as the guns they're used on! :)
+1
:rofl:

yea, but is your ATF or motor oil biodegradable and non-toxic? :p
What, are you drinking the stuff?!? :wacko: :)

Barney Gumble
10-01-2009, 9:42 PM

Wow what a convincing case you've made.