PDA

View Full Version : SB-41

Joe Collins
10-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Why is there no chit chat regarding SB-41 which is also anti gun?

It would create more paper work and book keeping for all Ca. FFL's yet there seems to be no interest in defeating this bill. As a mater of fact IIRC, there was a highly respected member of Calguns that advised staying low key on this bill WHY?:( This bill is also on the Governors desk

wildhawker
10-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Cal NRA has requested that we ignore this issue and focus on AB962/SB585. SB41 has some strategic advantages, both short and long-term.

ETA: Short term: Gov can sign a "gun control" bill (that has infinitesimally little impact on us/FFLs) and have political room to veto two other such bills (AB962/SB585). Long term: Copy of DROS creates record of previous firearms purchase... why would we need to wait 10 days for a cooling-off period if I already own a firearm and can prove it w/ a govt document? ;)

hoffmang
10-01-2009, 3:23 PM
Due to the amendments that were obtained on this bill and it's longer term pro-gun effects it's worth leaving this one so that Governor can sign it and not sign the two worse bills.

-Gene

Meplat
10-01-2009, 4:18 PM
This brings to mind the question: Why can we not get a friendly legislature to introduce a bill that would wave the waiting period if you show up with a handgun and proof of ownership? I am sure that many if not most on this forum, like i, have firearms that cannot be traced to them. That said, why would I buy a new gun to commit a crime? Paper records, electronic records, people with your face fresh in their minds, WhoTF are they trying to BS?:43:

bwiese
10-01-2009, 4:47 PM
This brings to mind the question: Why can we not get a friendly legislature to introduce a bill that would wave the waiting period if you show up with a handgun and proof of ownership? I am sure that many if not most on this forum, like i, have firearms that cannot be traced to them. That said, why would I buy a new gun to commit a crime? Paper records, electronic records, people with your face fresh in their minds, WhoTF are they trying to BS?:43:

Friendly legislature? :(

Friendly legislator? The CA Republicans have been gun shy. They talk a pro-gun game but sit on their arse ("oops I forgot to introduce it..." - no joke.)

1859sharps
10-01-2009, 7:39 PM
Why is there no chit chat regarding SB-41 which is also anti gun?

It would create more paper work and book keeping for all Ca. FFL's yet there seems to be no interest in defeating this bill. As a mater of fact IIRC, there was a highly respected member of Calguns that advised staying low key on this bill WHY?:( This bill is also on the Governors desk

I am thinking with how SB 41 is being addressed, we are getting another glimpse into how the next generation of gun rights leaders are going to play the game.

The old school way of fighting gun control stopped working mid 80's, maybe a bit earlier. It's time to try an new approach. Having watched us lose a lot of ground the last 20 or so years, I am willing to give the next generation a chance to step up and prove them self.

So far so good. 5 or 6 years ago who would have thought you could own an AR again in California? Who would have thought incorporation might actually happen? Who would have thought the handgun roster would be challenged? Who would have thought we would have a supreme court ruling backing what we all have known all a long?

kf6tac
10-01-2009, 7:58 PM

Of course nobody buys a new gun from a legit gun dealer to commit a crime. But the gun-grabbers in the legislature aren't actually interested in stopping crime. That's just the line they push to make it slightly less obvious that they're trying to curb gun ownership at every turn.