PDA

View Full Version : HELP ME WITH FIRST AK QUESTIONS!

AM9000
10-01-2009, 12:22 PM
I need to tap the grater calguns AK knowledge cloud. I have several AR's. I want to get my first AK. I want a solid stock AK with wood.

I really only want it for plinking and last resort zombie defense. It defenetly doesn't need to be a show gun. Dirty and worn is fine for my purposes.

I am torn between a YUGO M70B1 and the cheaper WASR... I also like the Russian type rifles. I would prefur to stay away from Saigas, unless they are already converted.

I would prefer a chrome lined barrel. I know the YUGO's dont usually have that...
I really like the longer handguard on the YUGO, but cant find any at any local shops... I am not opposed to building from a parts kit and grabbing a 100% reciver (are thoes avalible?). Gunbroker has kits for about 500-600.
I just dont want to get into a project thats going to take lots and lots of work. I am thinking a one or two day project.... If I go the build rought.

What would the AK dudes around here do in my shoes?

I have about 800-900 to spend...

Thoughts??????

CSACANNONEER
10-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Build your own! Then it will be exactly what you want.

SJgunguy24
10-01-2009, 2:09 PM
Looks like your gonna be building from a kit. Why would you stay away from a Saiga? If your willing to build a kit, than a Saiga is way less work and you don't have to invest in the tools or wait for a bulid party.

drummerdude1188
10-01-2009, 2:11 PM
I need to tap the grater calguns AK knowledge cloud. I have several AR's. I want to get my first AK. I want a solid stock AK with wood.

I really only want it for plinking and last resort zombie defense. It defenetly doesn't need to be a show gun. Dirty and worn is fine for my purposes.

I am torn between a YUGO M70B1 and the cheaper WASR... I also like the Russian type rifles. I would prefur to stay away from Saigas, unless they are already converted.

I would prefer a chrome lined barrel. I know the YUGO's dont usually have that...
I really like the longer handguard on the YUGO, but cant find any at any local shops... I am not opposed to building from a parts kit and grabbing a 100% reciver (are thoes avalible?). Gunbroker has kits for about 500-600.
I just dont want to get into a project thats going to take lots and lots of work. I am thinking a one or two day project.... If I go the build rought.

What would the AK dudes around here do in my shoes?

I have about 800-900 to spend...

Thoughts??????

Building your own is not as easy as snapping together an AR, and you will have to invest considerable money in tooling to build your own. The wasr's are fine rifles, little rickety but function fine and if you get one that has straight sights you'll be fine. The yugos are nice as well, and can be alot nicer than the wasr if they are built by a good builder and dont have a sewer pipe for a barrel. Id say find a nice yugo built by a reputable builder and enjoy. Hope this helps.

69Mach1
10-01-2009, 2:20 PM
You can find converted RUSSIAN Saiga SGL 20's for around $900. Imported Russian rifle with chrome lined barrels and a great muzzle brake. What's not to love.

Gigan
10-01-2009, 2:20 PM
Turners has them in the ad right now a Saiga with wood and chrome barrel. featureless ak 849.00
http://www.turners.com/engage/displayads.php
I know you said you didnt want a Saiga but this one has the trigger in the right spot :)

69Mach1
10-01-2009, 2:24 PM
That's not a Saiga, and it's a little over priced.

AM9000
10-01-2009, 2:34 PM
Is that turners SIA AK, any better than a WASR for almost twice as much?
I guess I would ask the same question of the Yugo I want....?
Gunbroker has some Yugo's, but nobody will ship to CA.... Whos side are they on????

I am leaning farther toward the WASR. Damn thoes Yugos look nice.

CSACANNONEER
10-01-2009, 2:39 PM
Building your own is not as easy as snapping together an AR, and you will have to invest considerable money in tooling to build your own. The wasr's are fine rifles, little rickety but function fine and if you get one that has straight sights you'll be fine. The yugos are nice as well, and can be alot nicer than the wasr if they are built by a good builder and dont have a sewer pipe for a barrel. Id say find a nice yugo built by a reputable builder and enjoy. Hope this helps.

I've built 8 AK style firearms and have not spent any money on buying tools! OK, I already have basic tools, a bunch of dremels etc. but, I have not invested any cash in AK specific tools. Build parties are fun, educational and a cheaper way to build an AK. BTW, my WASRs work just fine and do not have sewer pipe barrels. If you can find a cheap WASR10 (under $400) don't hesitate to buy it! IIRC, Yugos are not crome lined and the Yugo ammo is corrosive. So, if the original rifle was not well maintained, a Yugo build is far more likely to have a corroded barrel than a newly made WASR10 would.

It looks like you can buy a Romy G kit for <$300 from atlantic Arms. A flat, rivets, center support, US made trigger group & gas piston, mag lock, etc. should put you back another $100 or so. A little time refinishing your wood, a weekend at a build party and a little work should put a working AK in your hands for under $500 depending on exactly what you want your build to be.

Davidoff
10-01-2009, 2:45 PM
I don't have an AK yet so I might be speaking out of my rear, but Henderson Defense gets good ratings for the their "Certified" WASR. It might be worth checking out, seeing as they will make the rifle CA compliant before shipping it to you.

Henderson Defense WASR in "Russian Red" (http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/product.sc?productId=77&categoryId=4)

I have also been looking at Atlantic Firearms, who will also add maglocks and 10rd mags to a rifle for a fee. They are also active on Calguns:

Atlantic Firearms AK Page (http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storecategory90.aspx)

Atlantic Firearms
10-01-2009, 2:47 PM
FYI we also offer discounts on certain items for Cal Guns members

drummerdude1188
10-01-2009, 2:52 PM
I've built 8 AK style firearms and have not spent any money on buying tools! OK, I already have basic tools, a bunch of dremels etc. but, I have not invested any cash in AK specific tools. Build parties are fun, educational and a cheaper way to build an AK. BTW, my WASRs work just fine and do not have sewer pipe barrels. If you can find a cheap WASR10 (under $400) don't hesitate to buy it! IIRC, Yugos are not crome lined and the Yugo ammo is corrosive. So, if the original rifle was not well maintained, a Yugo build is far more likely to have a corroded barrel than a newly made WASR10 would.

It looks like you can buy a Romy G kit for <$300 from atlantic Arms. A flat, rivets, center support, US made trigger group & gas piston, mag lock, etc. should put you back another $100 or so. A little time refinishing your wood, a weekend at a build party and a little work should put a working AK in your hands for under $500 depending on exactly what you want your build to be.

I never said anything about wasr's having sewer pipe barrels, I used to have a wasr and it was a good rifle. The yugos are the ones prone to sewer pipe barrels.

akspetsnaz
10-01-2009, 3:42 PM
You will like the latest Turner's ad -

http://www.turners.com/engage/displayads.php

CSACANNONEER
10-01-2009, 3:44 PM
I never said anything about wasr's having sewer pipe barrels, I used to have a wasr and it was a good rifle. The yugos are the ones prone to sewer pipe barrels.

Sorry, I missread your post.

Henry Hill
10-01-2009, 4:49 PM
I think Ill go with the atlantic firearms AK for my first rifle

coop44
10-01-2009, 6:09 PM
800-900 heck usta be you could build 2 for that, maybe you still can.

Gigan
10-01-2009, 6:23 PM
That's not a Saiga, and it's a little over priced.

My bad,I miss-spoke , Im a Noob :(

Atlantic Firearms.com
10-02-2009, 4:05 AM
Henry Hill
Contact us for a price quote on the AK that you want we offer discounts to Cal Guns members , please mention your Cal Guns user name

Plisk
10-02-2009, 4:42 AM
You can find converted RUSSIAN Saiga SGL 20's for around $900. Imported Russian rifle with chrome lined barrels and a great muzzle brake. What's not to love.

+1000000000000

I love mine. They do come with Polymer furniture, but it wasn't hard to find and install the wood.

One thing about the SGL20s you should be aware of, us that they don't use the AK47 style muzzle threading (14x1mm) they use the AK74 style (28x1mm). It's larger and does not accept 47 type muzzle devices like the iconic slant muzzle break. If an Arsenal isn't for you, look into a Lancaster. I hear excellent things about them too.