PDA

View Full Version : We should add a "Legislative Action" (AB962/SB585) support page...

8-Ball
10-01-2009, 8:33 AM
When we have an action request like that for AB962 and SB585 we should add a support website that contains all of the information for supporting that action in a static, comprehensive manner.

This will facilitate the access to ALL of the information in ONE place for members and those that are contacted and need additional information.

It could also facilitate the volunteer information by county in terms of sign ups areas to cover and a listing of gun related businesses to contact.

Here is an example website... not complete, but be sure to click on all the available links to see how it could integrate with the forum.

See support website here: (http://www.lightcalc.com/CGFaction)

The site could act as a template for future legislation reducing the "boots on the ground" ramp up time...

mmartin
10-01-2009, 9:19 AM
exellent idea!!
megan

subse7en
10-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Awesome site 8-ball very well done.

wildhawker
10-01-2009, 10:56 AM
The question becomes one of programming; I'm pretty confident in saying that none of the BoD has the time available to devote to creating/maintaining an action page for each issue. How can we tie this into the C3 outreach-activism program and what do we do about writing a number of these pages we definitely could use ASAP?

xxdabroxx
10-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Damn fine idea.

jdberger
10-01-2009, 1:04 PM
Love it.

bwiese
10-01-2009, 1:05 PM
Nice idea, but think:

The 2A/Legal/Political forum gets a lotta traffic. Many/most/quite a few folks are gonna run into stuff here at least even accidentally.

Overpartitioning forums can lead to lotsa dead spots due to lack of overlap.

mmartin
10-01-2009, 1:09 PM
The question becomes one of programming; I'm pretty confident in saying that none of the BoD has the time available to devote to creating/maintaining an action page for each issue. How can we tie this into the C3 outreach-activism program and what do we do about writing a number of these pages we definitely could use ASAP?

if someone can pull the details together in a single post, can we put it up in a fresh thread, sticky it, and close it?

megan

Alaric
10-01-2009, 1:15 PM
if someone can pull the details together in a single post, can we put it up in a fresh thread, sticky it, and close it?

megan

Unfortunately many people skip right over stickies to get to the stuff below.

Stickies just don't really work outside of being useful to quickly redirect someone to commonly answered questions or rules.

jdberger
10-01-2009, 1:15 PM
I actually like the interactivity of it.

I don't have to wade through 300 posts consisting of "great idea!" and "go get 'em folks" when I'm looking for specific info.

I can click on my County, see the business that need some "lovin" and get moving....

wash
10-01-2009, 1:16 PM
I say do some scrolling text maybe make it red or yellow for items requiring immediate action.

obeygiant
10-01-2009, 2:25 PM
Theseus and I had started a site similar to what you're proposing but development kind of came to a halt with each of us being too busy to keep it up. I like the layout and design that you've gone with as it is easy to find the information needed and your artistic influence really makes that site.

The premise of our site was similar in that it was going to be a template site that could be used as a launch pad for ab962 or any other bill for that matter. It hasn't been touched in about a month or so but you can take a look at it here http://www.noab962.org/news.php

7x57
10-01-2009, 2:33 PM
A couple of remarks: for this to be realistic, we'd need some web programming to make it very quick to put up new alerts (though a CMS or even a blog might be sufficient).

Second, if we get enough traction and mind-share we may be able to support a "pull" as well as a "push" model. That is to say, we might have some of our better shop owners be willing to go to our site and fill out a form to request flyers for a given alert, which would allow us to respond quicker and perhaps let us know of locations and businesses we wouldn't have thought to contact.

7x57

artherd
10-01-2009, 3:04 PM
I Can definitely give you a CMS and turn a team loose on it. Let's talk first about what this would look like... PM me.

wildhawker
10-01-2009, 3:25 PM
I Can definitely give you a CMS and turn a team loose on it. Let's talk first about what this would look like... PM me.

We might want to consider creating a site development committee for this and other such items.

jdberger
10-01-2009, 3:41 PM
We might want to consider creating a site development committee for this and other such items.

We're gonna start calling them Wildhawker's minions.....

mmartin
10-01-2009, 3:53 PM
can I play?
happy to minion...
megan

8-Ball
10-01-2009, 6:36 PM
Don't over think this thing.

A mini-site like this, using the template, can be put up in about 30 minutes. All that needs to be done is update the links and the art.

When a new bill comes up:

1. Create text explaining why we favor/oppose it.

2. Create a flyer (print and screen).

3. Update the links for volunteering, feedback, etc.

4. Create the sample letter.

5. Create a thread linking the mini-site.

6. Create a link from a ticker under the banner on the forum.

Remember, all of the legislative contact info remains constant, the counties remain constant, the delivery areas (once completed) remain constant.

A database could be created to hold the gun related businesses. This could be updated from a single location and used to populate the mini-site.

It would require a volunteer to act as webmaster. Feed the webmaster the content and let him take care of it.

Over think it and nothing ever happens... human nature.

I could do it for awhile... lets test it.

I'd need access to a folder on the server. That's it.

ETA: I can also install the code that runs the ticker across the top of EVERY page. This would make it real easy to notify members and real easy for members to access the info. The ticker can also be hot linked to the mini-site AND the thread... Go here to see an example... (http://www.discardedcrew.com/forums) give it a second to start scrolling accross... (I created and currently maintain and administer that site)

obeygiant
10-01-2009, 8:41 PM
Don't over think this thing.

A mini-site like this, using the template, can be put up in about 30 minutes. All that needs to be done is update the links and the art.

When a new bill comes up:

1. Create text explaining why we favor/oppose it.

2. Create a flyer (print and screen).

3. Update the links for volunteering, feedback, etc.

4. Create the sample letter.

5. Create a thread linking the mini-site.

6. Create a link from a ticker under the banner on the forum.

Remember, all of the legislative contact info remains constant, the counties remain constant, the delivery areas (once completed) remain constant.

A database could be created to hold the gun related businesses. This could be updated from a single location and used to populate the mini-site.

It would require a volunteer to act as webmaster. Feed the webmaster the content and let him take care of it.

Over think it and nothing ever happens... human nature.

I could do it for awhile... lets test it.

I'd need access to a folder on the server. That's it.

ETA: I can also install the code that runs the ticker across the top of EVERY page. This would make it real easy to notify members and real easy for members to access the info. The ticker can also be hot linked to the mini-site AND the thread... Go here to see an example... (http://www.discardedcrew.com/forums) give it a second to start scrolling accross... (I created and currently maintain and administer that site)

I like the way you think. Let me know if I can help.

obeygiant
10-01-2009, 8:45 PM

What CMS do you have available?

ricochet
10-01-2009, 8:50 PM
I actually like the interactivity of it.

I don't have to wade through 300 posts consisting of "great idea!" and "go get 'em folks" when I'm looking for specific info.

I can click on my County, see the business that need some "lovin" and get moving....

I second that ...

8-Ball
10-01-2009, 10:17 PM
I like the way you think. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks... as soon as someone tells me what I don't know... you do that...

I suspect CSS... I'm completely marginal...

8-Ball
10-01-2009, 10:19 PM
I second that ...

The nice thing about this approach is that the threads remain intact, the static info simply remains easily accessible altogether in one place...

Another good thing about this approach is that a link to the mini-site can be sent to non-members as a self contained informational cluster without exposing them to the chaos of the thread... I understand and appreciate chaos, but some don't. When a non-member finds the info intriguing, they may follow the links back to the forum and register. In this way it becomes a marketing tool for Calguns as well.

wildhawker
10-01-2009, 10:37 PM
How tough to setup email/fax blasts and the like? Say, for reaching out to governmental or business entities who would benefit from hearing from their constituency/consumer?

KylaGWolf
10-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Could we set up a forum for Action that would be seperate from the 2A page. We have one here on Calguns for news and general stuff. So why not set one up for legeslative action. That way it would still be here on the forum and maybe help to keep the multiple threads down to a minimum :).

8-Ball
10-01-2009, 10:45 PM
How tough to setup email/fax blasts and the like? Say, for reaching out to governmental or business entities who would benefit from hearing from their constituency/consumer?

This is why I recommended a database. Once the businesses are entered into a database, it can be as easy as setting up a script to automatically email businesses. It can even be set up to distinguish between business types by auto searching for FFLs versus gun dealers versus gun ranges for example. By setting up a relational database, legislators can be within the same database and paired with different bills/issues. A spreadsheet cannot do this.

Not sure about faxing automatically... it is becoming a dead technology quickly. I'd have to look into that more thoroughly.

wildhawker
10-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Kyla, you'll likely see those features under the C3 section soon.

obeygiant
10-01-2009, 11:23 PM

I started a thread in the Technology forum here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=225893) about doing exactly that.

looking at a model of something like freedomspeaks.com and making it our own. Some of the features could be:

legislative contact info
email distribution lists (similar to the 1 click)
templates for letters
faxing
online petitions
volunteer coordination

it would most likely would require (at a minimum, w/o addressing load balancing & redundancy/failover):

fax server
mail server
sql server
web server(s) for a forum/cms site

obeygiant
10-01-2009, 11:28 PM
This is why I recommended a database. Once the businesses are entered into a database, it can be as easy as setting up a script to automatically email businesses. It can even be set up to distinguish between business types by auto searching for FFLs versus gun dealers versus gun ranges for example. By setting up a relational database, legislators can be within the same database and paired with different bills/issues. A spreadsheet cannot do this.

Not sure about faxing automatically... it is becoming a dead technology quickly. I'd have to look into that more thoroughly.

Fax Servers are still quite alive in the business world. Captaris RightFax and Equisys ZetaFax are a couple that come to mind. The benefit to this is that it can be incorporated into a mail server so that you can simply send an email that then gets converted to an outbound fax via the fax server. Most of them will even accept .pdf and .doc so you can simply attach the document to your email and it is sent off as a fax.

8-Ball
10-01-2009, 11:29 PM
We are some skill totin' folks...

After reading that, my database skills went limp...

Teamwork...!!!

I started a thread in the Technology forum here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=225893) about doing exactly that.

looking at a model of something like freedomspeaks.com and making it our own. Some of the features could be:

legislative contact info
email distribution lists (similar to the 1 click)
templates for letters
faxing
online petitions
volunteer coordination

it would most likely would require (at a minimum, w/o addressing load balancing & redundancy/failover):

fax server
mail server
sql server
web server(s) for a forum/cms site

jdberger
10-01-2009, 11:34 PM
I like faxes. Specifically if the recipient has an actual machine. Emails are too disposable.

Another good thing about this approach is that a link to the mini-site can be sent to non-members as a self contained informational cluster without exposing them to the chaos of the thread... I understand and appreciate chaos, but some don't. When a non-member finds the info intriguing, they may follow the links back to the forum and register. In this way it becomes a marketing tool for Calguns as well.

Right. Unless you're used to the whole "forum thing" that static is pretty distracting. For us it's inside baseball, to outsiders it's really freakin' confusing.

obeygiant
10-01-2009, 11:47 PM
I like faxes. Specifically if the recipient has an actual machine. Emails are too disposable.

Right. Unless you're used to the whole "forum thing" that static is pretty distracting. For us it's inside baseball, to outsiders it's really freakin' confusing.

The really nice part about having a fax server is that we could draft a single email and have it delivered to both their inbox and their fax machine at the same time.

obeygiant
10-01-2009, 11:50 PM
We are some skill totin' folks...

After reading that, my database skills went limp...

Teamwork...!!!

It's exactly that, Teamwork. There are many on this board that have skill-sets that far exceed mine. Your database skills will absolutely be critical to making a project like this a success.

Can'thavenuthingood
10-02-2009, 5:28 AM
Kyla, you'll likely see those features under the C3 section soon.

What is this C3 you speak of?

Vick

jdberger
10-02-2009, 7:58 AM
I'm hazarding a guess: Command, Communications, Control.

(From Janes Weapons Systems)

Of course, it could mean Corndogs, Chili and Churros.....

wildhawker
10-02-2009, 10:10 AM
What is this C3 you speak of?

Vick

C3 is what we call the Calguns Community Chapter outreach/activism program.

wildhawker
10-02-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm hazarding a guess: Command, Communications, Control.

Not far off in terms of application :)

obeygiant
10-02-2009, 10:11 AM

so it's not the Calguns Covert Commando's?

wildhawker
10-02-2009, 10:14 AM

Paper faxes are hard to ignore, although I'd imagine that the Sacto offices (at least) have converted to an e-fax system - either through their telcom server or outside provider - which means they probably show up in a staffer's email inbox anyway.

jdberger
10-02-2009, 10:25 AM

Can we call it Corndog, Chili, Churro once in a while.

I get hungry. I need to eat to keep my girlish figure.

Can'thavenuthingood
10-02-2009, 11:09 AM

Ohhhh, SMEAC (http://www.achieve-goal-setting-success.com/SMEAC-system.html), why didn't you say so:)

Vick

obeygiant
10-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Ohhhh, SMEAC (http://www.achieve-goal-setting-success.com/SMEAC-system.html), why didn't you say so:)

Vick

Nice!

ripcurlksm
10-02-2009, 11:46 AM
When we need action during a time period, we should change the colors of this website from purple to red. the menu, everything would be red.

wildhawker
10-02-2009, 11:48 AM
How about a pop-up for all users with info and link?

obeygiant
10-02-2009, 11:57 AM
When we need action during a time period, we should change the colors of this website from purple to red. the menu, everything would be red.

This is a really good idea as it would get their attention visually.

ripcurlksm
10-02-2009, 12:34 PM
pretty easy too just change the CSS style from this:
.vbmenu_control{
background: #22229C none repeat scroll 0 0;
}
To this:
.vbmenu_control{
background: #FF0000 none repeat scroll 0 0;
}
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=34391&stc=1&d=1254511898

artherd
10-02-2009, 3:01 PM
I've got a pretty powerful eFax system already. Changing colors... I like AJAX/JS popups or overlays better.

Let's get some committees going :) I think a couple of you just got nominated :D

Can'thavenuthingood
10-02-2009, 3:15 PM
I've got a pretty powerful eFax system already. Changing colors... I like AJAX/JS popups or overlays better.

Let's get some committees going :) I think a couple of you just got nominated :D

I'll Second the motion:thumbsup:

All those in favor say 'Aye"

Vick

obeygiant
10-02-2009, 4:00 PM
I'll Second the motion:thumbsup:

All those in favor say 'Aye"

Vick

Aye! ...wait what are we votin for?

wildhawker
10-02-2009, 4:49 PM
I'd like to see a "Site Development" committee formed to head up the numerous site-related improvement projects we want to see rolled out sooner rather than later.

I see the committee as a blend of web development, content creation and PR. Small, since tasks can be setup in C3 for other volunteers to take on as components. Someone on the committee would need to be more of a project manager since organization and focus are key.

obeygiant
10-02-2009, 5:54 PM
I'd like to see a "Site Development" committee formed to head up the numerous site-related improvement projects we want to see rolled out sooner rather than later.

I see the committee as a blend of web development, content creation and PR. Small, since tasks can be setup in C3 for other volunteers to take on as components. Someone on the committee would need to be more of a project manager since organization and focus are key.

I can assist with anything from content to server administration so let me know where to sign up.

Can'thavenuthingood
10-02-2009, 6:31 PM
Aye! ...wait what are we votin for?

I'm not sure what's its for but your name and rips were the 2 before Ben made the nomination official, I only seconded it.

Something about heading the Committee to take over California or some such thing.
Sounds like a sweet deal.

Do you need shirts for that?

And don't you find it odd that 8-Ball drops this idea with a new thread, gets everyone all excited and then jumps on his Harley and rides to Yuma while the nominating and Volunteering takes place?:)

Vick

obeygiant
10-02-2009, 7:45 PM
I'm not sure what's its for but your name and rips were the 2 before Ben made the nomination official, I only seconded it.

Something about heading the Committee to take over California or some such thing.

Already in the process...

Do you need shirts for that?

We will most definitely need shirts.

And don't you find it odd that 8-Ball drops this idea with a new thread, gets everyone all excited and then jumps on his Harley and rides to Yuma while the nominating and Volunteering takes place?:)

nope, that's all a part of the plan. Once we take over California we're going to annex Arizona so that if California falls into the ocean we still have beach front property.

ricochet
10-02-2009, 8:28 PM
Second, if we get enough traction and mind-share we may be able to support a "pull" as well as a "push" model.
7x57
RSS feed comes to mind (push) ...

Thing w/email is that someone has to read it, type/click everything to reply whereas RSS requires a click on the desktop widget/ticker to take them to a Web Page that asks for their info or maybe even picks up a cookie to populate a "ship to" form

ric

Can'thavenuthingood
10-02-2009, 8:34 PM
Push is bad juju.

I tried it back in what? '94-95?
I railed against and wrote everyone involved what I thought of that hideous monster as it drove me nuts.

Push was on my machine for about 2-3 days and that was dial-up, imagine what could be pushed through the pipe now.

My machine is already pulsating.

Vick

8-Ball
10-02-2009, 8:51 PM
what the hell has happened to my thread... I leave for 8 hours to experience being an American and anarchy erupts...

A lot of stuff isn't working properly on this forum (CSS related). I'd recommend fixing that before layering more stuff in there.

I had to rework the CSS sheet on www.discardedcrew.com/forums when we upgraded to get it all to work.

You people don't even realize the forum is broken... saps...

http://www.discardedcrew.com/calguns/quicklinks1.png http://www.discardedcrew.com/calguns/quicklinks2.png

The above is just one example. This is what the "Quick Links" pull down is supposed to look like.

I nominate ME to make the forum look cool, be in charge of colors (gun people are so clashy), icon art, and fixing the stylesheets (CSS)... I can also add the ticker...

Ticker would be better than popup... popups are annoying... the ticker is ever present and hot linkable...

Can'thavenuthingood
10-02-2009, 8:53 PM
Oh gee, looks who's back and all spunky like:)

Vick

8-Ball
10-02-2009, 8:56 PM
Oh gee, looks who's back and all spunky like:)

Vick

Americanism can be invigorating...

I talked to a cop while armed...

obeygiant
10-02-2009, 9:04 PM
what the hell has happened to my thread... I leave for 8 hours to experience being an American and anarchy erupts...

A lot of stuff isn't working properly on this forum (CSS related). I'd recommend fixing that before layering more stuff in there.

I had to rework the CSS sheet on www.discardedcrew.com/forums when we upgraded to get it all to work.

You people don't even realize the forum is broken... saps...

http://www.discardedcrew.com/calguns/quicklinks1.png http://www.discardedcrew.com/calguns/quicklinks2.png

The above is just one example. This is what the "Quick Links" pull down is supposed to look like.

I nominate ME to make the forum look cool, be in charge of colors (gun people are so clashy), icon art, and fixing the stylesheets (CSS)... I can also add the ticker...

Ticker would be better than popup... popups are annoying... the ticker is ever present and hot linkable...

I'll second your nomination on making the fourm look "cool" and I agree popups are annoying regardless of what it is written in. Besides most people block them by default anyway.

obeygiant
10-09-2009, 11:31 AM
anything happening in the near future with regards to this committee?