PDA

View Full Version : AK-74 MAGS IN SAIGA???????

supersonic
10-01-2009, 3:20 AM
I just wanted to put this out there. I am picking up my first SAIGA in 5.45x39 and I have a bunch of cherry AK74 mags from way back. They are the black polymer type with the plastic follower & steel floorplate (pics available, if necessary). Will fitting be required in order for these mags to fit? If so, can I get a link for a "how-to?" Thanks, brothers. Peace,
-Scott

Pryde
10-01-2009, 3:32 AM
I just wanted to put this out there. I am picking up my first SAIGA in 5.45x39 and I have a bunch of cherry AK74 mags from way back. They are the black polymer type with the plastic follower & steel floorplate (pics available, if necessary). Will fitting be required in order for these mags to fit? If so, can I get a link for a "how-to?" Thanks, brothers. Peace,
-Scott

They should be able to lock into the Saiga without dremeling the magwell, based on reports from other AK forums.

The problem is that you are going to need to have a bullet guide installed, which involves drilling and tapping your receiver in order for the AK mags to feed reliably. The reason for this is that the saiga mag is single stack (and therefore does not need a bullet guide) while the AK74 mag is staggered.

You can look online at various sites and they have detailed instructions on how to install one with the proper tools.
You can find a kit for sale here.
http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_545x39/saiga_545x39.html

supersonic
10-01-2009, 8:31 AM
On the Files forum, I read 2 different posts today that mentioned that the 'new', or current production Saiga 5.45's not only have the dimple on the receiver sides above the magwell, but that AK-74 mags seem to be running perfectly. :shrug:

69Mach1
10-01-2009, 8:37 AM
The new 5.45 Saiga's do indeed have dimples, but still lack the bullet guide to be legal for importation. I've also confirmed that milspec AK74 mags will lock into the rifle, but don't know if it will run reliably without a bullet guide. One should be installed just to make sure, however once you do US made parts have to be installed to be compliant. The 10 round Saiga mags are double stacked just like AK74 mags. They have an extended lip on the front that acts as a bullet guide.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/ak-18/DSC04675.jpg

sergeantrex
10-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Mine shoots fine w/out a bullet guide. Old bugarian, polish and russian ak 74 mags

CSACANNONEER
10-01-2009, 12:03 PM
They have an extended lip on the front that acts as a bullet guide.

So, could the mags be modified a bit? I have metal Saiga mags which are modified AK47 mags.

Okami
10-01-2009, 1:34 PM
The way i have always understood it the bullet guide is part of the AK74 magazine.

69Mach1
10-01-2009, 2:05 PM
The way i have always understood it the bullet guide is part of the AK74 magazine.

Except for the Saigas, all AK's have their bullet guides in the trunnion. I think why the AK 74 mags work so well in an stock 5.45x39 saiga is because of the bullet profile. It's very long and slim, almost like a VLD round. By the time the neck is pushing past the tip of the mag, the tip of the bullet is probably already starting to enter the chamber.

69Mach1
10-01-2009, 8:09 PM
So, could the mags be modified a bit? I have metal Saiga mags which are modified AK47 mags.

Modify the Saiga 5.45 magazine to do what? Be used in a standard AK 74? Sure.

supersonic
10-01-2009, 9:31 PM
Wow. I not only got the answer I was seeking, but I started a very thought-provoking thread!:cool: