PDA

View Full Version : Can you DROS a handgun AND rifle at the same time?

supermario
10-01-2009, 1:31 AM
Hello, I understand that you are allowed 1 handgun per month if purchased new (not a ppt) and I understand you can buy multiple rifles.

So can i dros a handgun at one ffl and a shotgun at another ffl if within weeks or days apart? Thanks and sorry if this is a dumb question.

randy
10-01-2009, 1:43 AM
Yes you can do them the same day, same dealer or not.

supermario
10-01-2009, 1:45 AM
Cool thanks for the info!

tenpercentfirearms
10-01-2009, 7:29 AM
Handguns are generally limited to one every 30 days with a few exceptions like PPT. The DROS system tracks this so if you try to cheat and buy one from one dealer and one from another, your second one will be rejected and you will be out at least $25.

Long guns are not limited in any way, shape, or form. Buy as many as you want as often as you want from what ever gun shop you want.

gunn
10-01-2009, 7:36 AM
One related question:
Can you DROS a handgun and a rifle on the same form? This is most important if you are doing an out of state transfer and your dealer discounts the addt'l guns on the same form.

I was told by my FFL that they used to allow this but not anymore.
I believe her but I thought I should get some more opinions.

-g

Vin496
10-01-2009, 8:34 AM
One related question:
Can you DROS a handgun and a rifle on the same form? This is most important if you are doing an out of state transfer and your dealer discounts the addt'l guns on the same form.

I was told by my FFL that they used to allow this but not anymore.
I believe her but I thought I should get some more opinions.

-g

My understanding is no.

You can DROS multiple rifles on a single form, but not a mix.

Bowser
10-01-2009, 8:43 AM
Dros the pistol, then add rifles.

69Mach1
10-01-2009, 8:46 AM
Each and every pistol DROS'ed requires a separte form and fee just for it, even if you are doing multiple PPT's. Pistols cannot be combined with rifle's on DROS forms. Remember, pistols are actually being registered to your name.

tenpercentfirearms
10-01-2009, 5:40 PM
It is highly debatable if you are allowed to piggy back long guns onto a handgun DROS. However, the 4473 does allow handguns, long guns, and receivers to be put on the same 4473. The only thing that implies you cannot do that on a DROS is that the DROS software does not allow you to add the number of long guns to be placed onto the DROS. However, a background check is a background check.

My ATF auditors told me that they see dealers in California do it and they still pass the DOJ audits. Obviously the DOJ is going to discourage it because they want the $25 revenue, but is it illegal?

For more information, see this iconic thread that got me started to think about it.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=31037

dachan
10-01-2009, 7:18 PM
My DOJ auditor specifically said it is not possible to DROS a long gun on a handgun DROS. For example, if someone purchase a handgun and 2 long guns at the same time, they would have to submit one DROS for the handgun and a second DROS for the 2 long guns. All three firearms can go on the same 4473, which would reference both DROS'es in the NICS/State transmission number box.

CHS
10-01-2009, 8:02 PM
My DOJ auditor specifically said it is not possible to DROS a long gun on a handgun DROS. For example, if someone purchase a handgun and 2 long guns at the same time, they would have to submit one DROS for the handgun and a second DROS for the 2 long guns. All three firearms can go on the same 4473, which would reference both DROS'es in the NICS/State transmission number box.

^^^ This.

tenpercentfirearms
10-02-2009, 7:26 AM

The DOJ also told me that they were going to list STAG-15s in two weeks, that detachable magazines must be permanently fixed, and that my lowers marked with auto markings are machine guns.

Show us the law that says you can't use one DROS for one 4473?

dchang0
10-02-2009, 10:01 AM
The DOJ also told me that they were going to list STAG-15s in two weeks, that detachable magazines must be permanently fixed, and that my lowers marked with auto markings are machine guns.

Sha-wing!

Isn't it great when we citizens start giving our bureaucrats more power than they are granted specifically by law?

5hundo
10-02-2009, 3:32 PM

Your tax dollars at work. They don't even know what their own laws say... :rolleyes: