PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Police letter regarding AK/SKS rifles?

supra95tt
10-01-2009, 12:57 AM
I thought I either read or heard of a letter from the Sacramento police department authorizing or acknowledging that AK/SKS rifles are legal to possess if they have the proper 922(R) compliance features. Does anyone have a link to this letter or authority? Thanks in advance.

Librarian
10-01-2009, 8:13 AM
I thought I either read or heard of a letter from the Sacramento police department authorizing or acknowledging that AK/SKS rifles are legal to possess if they have the proper 922(R) compliance features. Does anyone have a link to this letter or authority? Thanks in advance.

Possible, I suppose, but why would a CA local PD have an opinion about Federal law? Doesn't sound like something within their scope.

Dr Rockso
10-01-2009, 8:18 AM
I don't think any police agency is looking to enforce 922r. You may be referring to the famous OLL memo (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/Sacramento-PD-OLL_Training_Bulletin-2008-11-18.pdf)?

CSACANNONEER
10-01-2009, 8:35 AM
How the hell would Sac PD know about 922(r) or how to enforce it? I'm positive that not more than a dozen officers in any dept. could properly explain 922(r) and properly identify rifles that meet the requirements. BTW, who the hell cares about posession of a rifle that does not meet 922(r)? Posession of a non-compliant rifle is not illegal!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's only illegal to manufacture a rifle that does not meet 922(r) requirements.

Mitch
10-01-2009, 9:54 AM
Posession of a non-compliant rifle is not illegal!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's only illegal to manufacture a rifle that does not meet 922(r) requirements.

Not manufacture, assemble:

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

I suppose you could legally be in possession of such an item if you bought it from the guy who actually broke the law by assembling it in a non-compliant manner.

And you should be careful with how many exclamation points you use. You could run out of them when you really need one.

CSACANNONEER
10-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Not manufacture, assemble:

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

I suppose you could legally be in possession of such an item if you bought it from the guy who actually broke the law by assembling it in a non-compliant manner.

And you should be careful with how many exclamation points you use. You could run out of them when you really need one.

I stand corrected. It's only illegal to "assemble" one. BTW, you could legally buy one which someone else assembled, buy one or have one which you assembled prior to 922(r) taking affect or possibly, take one in to be repaired and the gunsmith replaced a US made part with a foreign made part. These are three common examples of how one could be in legal possession of a gun which does not meet 922(r) criteria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!:43::43::43:

pullnshoot25
10-01-2009, 10:22 AM
There is evidence to suggest that 922r applies only to importers and manufacturers. There has only been one conviction or case AFAIK.

Also, the law is pretty much unenforceable.

Dr Rockso
10-01-2009, 12:11 PM
There is evidence to suggest that 922r applies only to importers and manufacturers. There has only been one conviction or case AFAIK.

Also, the law is pretty much unenforceable.
And IIRC the case was against an 07 FFL who was willfully breaking the law on a large scale.