PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest M4 Aluminum Quad Rail?

akjunkie
09-30-2009, 10:33 PM
$45, made by Mako with a Lifetime Warranty.

anyone have experience with his particular Quad rail?

http://store.a51tactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_67_75&products_id=1852

it's even $10 cheaper than the UTG stuff.

http://store.a51tactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_67_75&products_id=638

10-01-2009, 4:48 AM
You get what you pay for...

problemchild
10-01-2009, 5:19 AM

NO that is not true anymore. I can buy MC-E flashlights from china at a third the cost of surefire and they are just as good.

Compare Jetbeam M1X to a surefire light of equal lumen (700). Oh wait surefire doesnt offer a 700 lumen LED light. They do offer a 500 lumen incandescent for 3x as much.

I could make about 1000 more comparisons but dont feel like it right now.

Justintoxicated
10-01-2009, 8:05 AM
NO that is not true anymore. I can buy MC-E flashlights from china at a third the cost of surefire and they are just as good.

Compare Jetbeam M1X to a surefire light of equal lumen (700). Oh wait surefire doesnt offer a 700 lumen LED light. They do offer a 500 lumen incandescent for 3x as much.

I somewhat agree, but the electronics in the China lights are not as reliable, and may times the water proofing is not as good. I already have a Fenix crap out on me. However to be fail, we are talking about a $40 light that was comparing to $200 customs at the time and it did last several years.

That said I can't bring myself to pay premium for a surefire just for band name recognition, and then I would have to mod it to get it decently bright anyways. But typicaly I think you get what you pay for when not dealing with electronics, unless the design in some way reduces costs of production or materials and provides the same or better functionality.

With cheaper prices comes less QA or quality of materials used. However if you verify it is good in person by all means go for it ;)

SCMA-1
10-01-2009, 8:18 AM
KZ's are made in the US:

http://www.botachtactical.com/kz4ha.html

http://www.botachtactical.com/kzm73m4pifo.html

Lots of great stuff from KZ:

http://www.botachtactical.com/kz.html

Discount codes: Free CA Sales Tax
http://www.botachtactical.com/canosalestax.html

15% off entire order: "stimulus"

tomd1584
10-01-2009, 9:13 AM
remember, UTG is airsoft. with magpul XTM rail panels on it, it felt too thick/wide/fat and not very comfortable. i see guys over on AR15.com with them on all their rifles......and if you absolutely want a railed forearm without spending any money, then buy it.

I would just save your pennys and wait to get a quality rail.

akjunkie
10-01-2009, 9:18 AM

So Mako makes Junk? They are now selling Airsoft equipment?

eaglemike
10-01-2009, 9:34 AM
At the last Orange County show there was a guy selling the cheap rails like this, don't know if it's the same brand. They did not fit snugly on the RRA upper, VERY loose. The guy selling the el cheapo stuff blamed it on the upper. We showed him several other rails that fit properly. He was able (with some level of agony) to return the cheap stuff and get what he wanted.

If you want to try the "less expensive" stuff, go for it. I'd suggest checking on the return policy...... :)

You do get what you pay for. There is a company cloning my stuff, and there is a difference. (mine is better, of course) :)

all the best,
Mike

missiontrails
10-01-2009, 9:37 AM

Hmmmm, who in China is actually regulating the Lumens ratings? Do you know for sure that a Chineese 700 Lumen light is actually 700 lumens? And the electronics inside those lights probably looks like the inside of an AK (relatively speaking).

JeffW
10-01-2009, 9:38 AM
+1 on KZ, and YHM is the cheapest I run.

Justintoxicated
10-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Hmmmm, who in China is actually regulating the Lumens ratings? Do you know for sure that a Chineese 700 Lumen light is actually 700 lumens? And the electronics inside those lights probably looks like the inside of an AK (relatively speaking).

Yep, unless it is HID or using multiple LED's or quad die I doubt it is 700 lumens (edit: it is using the quad cree, but at only 450 lumens output out the buisness end the 700 lumen is the LED itself...) I am digging the looks of that MX1!

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=696
I was looking at this but now I want the MX1 :P

technique
10-01-2009, 10:43 AM

+1

Looking at some of the linked items in this thread....I believe, with all my heart.......I can probly destroy them unintentionally with some good ol fashion hard use.

Yankee hill in my very min when it come to rail systems. But I'm sure just about anything may work for others.

pacrimguru
10-01-2009, 10:47 AM
wow, the title of this thread says it all! :no:

Cheapest M4 Aluminum Quad Rail?... to what? put on your airsoft gun? seriously though, go quality or go home! it's worth it.

technique
10-01-2009, 10:56 AM
wow, the title of this thread says it all! :no:

Cheapest M4 Aluminum Quad Rail?... to what? put on your airsoft gun? seriously though, go quality or go home! it's worth it.

Thats Calguns for you man.....search:

Cheap, inexpensive, deal, least expensive, budget.......you will get a hit on just about every thread.

akjunkie
10-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Seems everyone miss my point.

Mako suppose to have a Good Reputation for making equipment for REAL weapons. NOT Airsoft. Just curious IF anyone had 1st hand experience with their "budget" quad rail.

and NO, i dont dont any Airsoft toys.

RECCE556
10-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you think you're going to get a decent rail for $45, you're quite mistaken. Do yourself a favor and buy a used KAC M4 RAS. I see them floating around for $150 or so every now and then.

I really don't understand this "I want the cheapest junk possible!" mentality. It's one thing to want a QUALITY item (like a DD rail) for the lowest price you can find but to just shop on price alone...well, that's just foolish.

"It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better." -Common Law of Business Balance, John Ruskin

akjunkie
10-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Never said I was interested in buying Mako's "budget" quad rail. Only curious in it's quality.

hkdad
10-01-2009, 12:45 PM
i'll be having some DD omega for sale soon...

http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/669195/20090916/153620.jpg (http://www.dropshots.com/bnitsche#date/2009-09-16/15:36:20)
http://media7.dropshots.com/photos/669195/20090916/153847.jpg (http://www.dropshots.com/bnitsche#date/2009-09-16/15:38:47)
http://media7.dropshots.com/photos/669195/20090916/153934.jpg (http://www.dropshots.com/bnitsche#date/2009-09-16/15:39:34)
http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/669195/20090916/161552.jpg (http://www.dropshots.com/bnitsche#date/2009-09-16/16:15:52)
http://media7.dropshots.com/photos/669195/20090916/163429.jpg (http://www.dropshots.com/bnitsche#date/2009-09-16/16:34:29)

i'll be having a bunch of these.... for $115 shipped! money back guarantee!!!

tomd1584
10-01-2009, 12:49 PM
^ thats less than half the cost anywhere else..care to share your secret? are these knockoff's?

hd0642
10-01-2009, 12:55 PM
ill chime in as an owner of the utg rail. i bought a couple of the $375 jse uppers that utilized the rail. its pretty dang rock solid and really doesnt feel cheap at all, seems plenty durable for my use of maybee hanging a light off it. there are alot of gun snobs among us and i for 1 am not.

hkdad
10-01-2009, 12:58 PM
^ thats less than half the cost anywhere else..care to share your secret? are these knockoff's?

my source told me it's a clone. some say it's factory 2nds. (i don't see any blem at all). i have a $300 DD rail. this one looks exactly the same. if i would mix all the parts, you can't tell it apart. i have it on three of my AR's. mounts rock solid like the $300 ones. it's 99.9% identical. feel, weight, looks everything! you have to see and feel to beleive it. that's why i am standing 100% behind this product. you can't go wrong with a moneyback guarantee! a couple of calgunners from here bought some already and they are stunned with the quality! it's basically a real DD rail for almost 1/3 the price!:D

tomd1584
10-01-2009, 1:03 PM
my source told me it's a clone. some say it's factory 2nds. (i don't see any blem at all). i have a $300 DD rail. this one looks exactly the same. if i would mix all the parts, you can't tell it apart. i have it on three of my AR's. mounts rock solid like the $300 ones. it's 99.9% identical. feel, weight, looks everything! you have to see and feel to beleive it. that's why i am standing 100% behind this product. you can't go wrong with a moneyback guarantee! a couple of calgunners from here bought some already and they are stunned with the quality! it's basically a real DD rail for almost 1/3 the price!:D

very cool. I have a DD omega too, and from just looking at the pictures the only thing I notice different is the pink anodizing (this is similar to loctite?) where the screws go in to mount the 2 pieces together. The only thing i would be concerened is if it is a clone, then its probably coming from the same place all these others are...

hkdad
10-01-2009, 1:06 PM
very cool. I have a DD omega too, and from just looking at the pictures the only thing I notice different is the pink anodizing (this is similar to loctite?) where the screws go in to mount the 2 pieces together.

i have a friend who is an AR guru and he couldn't tell the difference. yeah, that pinkish red suff is like loctite (available at home depot for $4).:D

CHS
10-01-2009, 1:11 PM
Cheapest that will stand up to abuse: Midwest Industries or Yankee Hill.

Don't go cheaper than those, and you'll be taken care of.

shark92651
10-01-2009, 2:00 PM
it's basically a real DD rail for almost 1/3 the price!:D

Well, not really. It's basically a licensed airsoft version:

http://www.madbullairsoft.com/English/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=230

It's not the same thing. It's made from "airsoft grade" aluminum, whatever that is. Not the same thing as "aircraft grade" I'm sure ;)

At least it is licensed and not a rip-off. But people should be aware of exactly what they are buying.

hkdad
10-01-2009, 2:37 PM
if i'm going to war maybe the $300 rail will be much more suited. but for weekend plinkers this rail will do the same. i compared them side by side, put them on a scale, drop them on the floor, mounted stuff on the rail and both performed the same! there was no difference at all. for people who don't see the point spending $300 for a rail, this clone (like you said it is licensed) would be the best bang for your buck! it feels, looks and performs like the original ones! besides... nobody can even tell the difference anymore from original and clone. lol...

and no... i don't get my stuff from madbullairsoft. ;)

Justintoxicated
10-01-2009, 4:15 PM
let me know when you get them in stock I might want one. However in the picture it shows a gap between the upper and the rail on the handguard. Why would these be dangerous?

dieselpower
10-01-2009, 4:31 PM
Mako is a sub-company of Fab Defense. http://www.makosecurity.com/about.html

Fab Defense is an Israeli company who makes low cost weapon parts. Yes the stuff is sub-American quality, but it is not air-soft. You can buy Mako, Fab defense and CAA on military bases, and a lot of guys in combat have these rails and stuff. Funny thing is for $45 I think you are getting a Made in china clone of a cheap rail...Last time I saw Mako quad rails they were $90.

The website says these are USA made, and hard coat III....$140 ..where you getting these for $45...I would check to make sure they are not selling UTG rails repackaged.

hkdad
10-01-2009, 4:31 PM
there is no gap. it's just the angle of the picture. it fits perfectly.

RECCE556
10-01-2009, 5:05 PM
I wouldn't buy knock-off/Airsoft JUNK and put it on my real guns. Come on people...

coop44
10-01-2009, 5:06 PM
I saw the utg freefloat w rails at the last show, felt and looked solid. On the other hand if I ever buy rails and start hanging a thou worth of crap on the front of my AR, somebody come over and smack me upside the head.

CHS
10-01-2009, 5:14 PM
I saw the utg freefloat w rails at the last show, felt and looked solid.

UTG rails look and feel solid because they weigh twice as much as any other half-decent rail system on the planet. They're crappy and flexible in all the wrong ways.

The NICE rail systems don't weight ANYTHING near what a UTG weighs.

tomd1584
10-01-2009, 5:16 PM
UTG rails look and feel solid because they weigh twice as much as any other half-decent rail system on the planet. They're crappy and flexible in all the wrong ways.

The NICE rail systems don't weight ANYTHING near what a UTG weighs.

+1 the UTG is HEAVY.

sspen003
10-01-2009, 5:52 PM
+1 the UTG is HEAVY.

Very Very heavy and made of Pot Metal. Im running a MI because Money was an issue ~120. Great little rail and has been nothing but dependable.

Stick with something made for guns

missiontrails
10-01-2009, 6:35 PM
I wouldn't buy knock-off/Airsoft JUNK and put it on my real guns. Come on people...

:iagree:, I don't get it either. I would wait and save another $100 (If that is what I had to do) before I littered my battle grade weapon with non-equivalent grade equipment. Simple as that. "What kind of rifle is that.... a Colt?". "Oh, you have a Mako (or Fake DD) forearm on your 6920 M4, cool!"

Beelzy
10-01-2009, 6:43 PM
YHM.......FTW.

Trash it and it works, dent or ding it......no crying.

RECCE556
10-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Eh, nevermind...buy the cheap junk and put them on your AR!!!

TregoMark
11-12-2009, 12:17 PM
I found this blurb while surfing around:

About the Mako Group-

Mako Group products are manufactured in Israel in or the US. The majority of the Israeli-made products are available through a close partnership with FAB Defense. FAB Defense has been manufacturing accessories for Israeli military and LE agencies, as well as foreign agencies since the 1960s. Since the Israelis pioneered many of tactics and accessories we currently employ, You can see that many of the popular accessories built by US companies are copies of the original Mako/FAB products. These products were originally marketed only to military and law enforcement, and only in the last few years have Mako/FAB made them available on the US civilian market. These products are of the highest quality and were developed and refined with direct input from the IDF. The products are simple and streamlined, since they were designed to meet specific military needs and not to be flashy or over-complicated in an attempt to capture a civilian market. Quality is equivalent the the highest quality US companies' quality. These are the accessories that are in use with the IDF and other military and LE organizations worldwide. The Vz. 58 accessories, for example, have been accepted for issue by the Czech Republic. The TAL-4 FVG was designed at the specific request of the DEA.

The US made products were designed and manufactured in the US. Most of these products are machined from high-grade aluminum or steel, such as the aluminum foregrips for those who prefer the aluminum over reinforced polymer.

The Mako Group is the sole source for these products in the US. These products are now stocked by most of the major distributors and many dealers across the country. The Mako group has an excellent Distributor and dealer programs with very good margins, while still keeping MSRP reasonable. The Mako group also accepts retail orders, but only at MSRP to protect dealers, who may set their prices at MAP or higher, so you should have no problem finding a dealer who sells at a lower price.

The Mako group also distributes the GMG product line. This is a consumer-end product line that, while much less expensive, is sometimes of lower quality than the Mako product line. Unfortunately, some online dealers and some distributors are advertising the GMG products as Mako products. If you want the US and Israeli quality, be sure that you purchase the Mako products.

WeekendWarrior
11-12-2009, 12:46 PM
WWRTW

gn3hz3ku1*
11-12-2009, 1:10 PM
it will prob work for you for just plinking and you want some tacticool toys on ur AR

i dont get why people wont just answer his question. if you never used it then okay move on instead of attacking it when you have no exp with it.

we have plenty of "operators" on calguns who need quality stuff...

you know guys who are so tactical that:
1. never ever been shot at
2. paid to be in an tactical environment
3. anti chicom gun parts but okay with their clothes and other household goods

oh yea then there are those with their "battle rifles" sorry to break it to you but i would guess 99.99 percent of calguns members
1. will never be in a real battle
2. the gov contractor companies wont hire them
3. no contractor or .gov let's you bring your own "battle rifle" :)

so yea if you want to try it out and give us a review i would love to read it.

so unless you guys used it in a real tactical situation and i mean REAL as in you can die.... PLEASE move on and stop going offtopic

okay end of my rant :)

Bnaka75
11-12-2009, 6:31 PM
How are the TROY Battle Rails?

Lurch762
11-12-2009, 7:07 PM
if i'm going to war maybe the $300 rail will be much more suited. but for weekend plinkers this rail will do the same. i compared them side by side, put them on a scale, drop them on the floor, mounted stuff on the rail and both performed the same! there was no difference at all. for people who don't see the point spending $300 for a rail, this clone (like you said it is licensed) would be the best bang for your buck! it feels, looks and performs like the original ones! besides... nobody can even tell the difference anymore from original and clone. lol...

and no... i don't get my stuff from madbullairsoft. ;)

HKDad, Thank you for somebody finally saying it. For all practical purposes, MOST of us will not see a difference in the quality of these rails on our rifles. If going into battle and your life and the life of those around you depends on it, sure, you're going to want the best you can get. Despite what others may think and believe, we are weekend plinkers at best, we're not going to get called into battle & to bring our own weapon, the zombies are never going to attack. Buy the rail if you like the way it feels and looks on your rifle. Don't worry that some other guy spent 3x as much as you did for his forend and is not shy to tell you so. I have 2 post-ban AR's, a Bushmaster M4gery and an Armalite A2, both registered AW's. People say that BMC, Noveske, etc are better and looking at them, they are very nice but neither of my rifles have ever failed me. If I were to ever need to use them in anger, I doubt the poor soul on the receiving end is going to know the difference.

11-12-2009, 7:40 PM

The marketing guys love this crowd of customers. :D

tktech
11-12-2009, 8:13 PM
I just dont get it. The OP asked a question and the reply comes in the form thats not TACTICOOL enough. Oh it made of pot metal (which is wrong it really is aluminum). Your life cant be dependent on cheap rails, blah blah blah. For all of us plinkers do you really need that *****en rail that you can hang the light, lazer, scope, magnifier, washer, dryer, a car battery for back up power, oh and the kitchen sink? I dont! Most of the high end rails have a place and most of us never will be in that place to require it. If it makes you feel better to spend the money and hang it off there cool have at it. But I believe look around read about them and jump on what you and your budget can afford. But I hate to let the cat out of the bag most of us plinkers could put a cheap ***** rail on our AR and would never know we have a cheap rail.
End rant!

gn3hz3ku1*
11-12-2009, 8:34 PM
we have wayyyy too many posers on calguns :)

take a chill pill, instead of that magpul class and then try to show off your tactical skills... when the hell are you guys ever going to use most of your equipment like they were made to be used? calm down powerpoint rangers...

this is the only tab 95 percent of us will ever get to wear ( we might have some prob less than 5 percent who can wear the real one) and 100 percent of those that wear it will never ever get to use their rifle in battle :)

http://www.nbc-links.com/graphics/ppttab.gif

paratroop
11-13-2009, 4:27 AM
haha. if its in your price range, get it. to tell you the truth i have no experience with this rail. but the only rails i have ever seen fail, and these are on real "battle rifles" , were some pricy kac rails. actually they fall off so much that many soldiers hate them and i will never buy a kac product. unless by any chance i could get a kac masterkey. has any one else seen a handguard rail just fall off? heck i currently have a tapco on one of my carbines, and that is my favorite handguard yet. and i think my next one will be a magpul.

tktech
11-13-2009, 5:07 AM

take a chill pill, instead of that magpul class and then try to show off your tactical skills... when the hell are you guys ever going to use most of your equipment like they were made to be used? calm down powerpoint rangers...

this is the only tab 95 percent of us will ever get to wear ( we might have some prob less than 5 percent who can wear the real one) and 100 percent of those that wear it will never ever get to use their rifle in battle :)

I agree. Although it is fun to dream!

wksun88
11-13-2009, 7:50 AM

please, it's a rail for crying out loud. No moving parts whatsoever. Even the most basic rail will do its job.

Jel
11-13-2009, 8:08 AM
Has anyone even answered the OP's question? All he was asking was if anyone had experience with a $45 Mako rail.

SCMA-1
11-13-2009, 11:38 AM
The marketing guys love this crowd of customers. :D

Bingo.;)

blackrifle242
11-13-2009, 4:40 PM

I never got a cool patch...wait i'm a Marine and we don't need 40 patches to tell everyone what we do, we just go and do it.:hide: OP, do what ever you want. I doubt there is anyone that has used a MAKO from the comments you have recieved. I stay with Vltor, Troy or KAC. Good parts aren't cheap and cheap parts aren't good.

gn3hz3ku1*
11-13-2009, 7:31 PM
I never got a cool patch...wait i'm a Marine and we don't need 40 patches to tell everyone what we do, we just go and do it.:hide: OP, do what ever you want. I doubt there is anyone that has used a MAKO from the comments you have recieved. I stay with Vltor, Troy or KAC. Good parts aren't cheap and cheap parts aren't good.

comon bro if you're a marine you should know.. Marines get all the crappy tools and end up doing amazing things with it... btw thank you for putting that that uniform.

either way you know that rarely are units getting vltor, troy or KAC and none of us sitting in the good ol USA will ever take our own rifles to battle.

just too many brandwhores in here... and even more posers

campperrykid
11-13-2009, 8:16 PM
Seems everyone miss my point.

Mako suppose to have a Good Reputation for making equipment for REAL weapons. NOT Airsoft. Just curious IF anyone had 1st hand experience with their "budget" quad rail.

and NO, i dont dont any Airsoft toys.

Some Mako group stuff is OK. Some ( Maybe most , I dunno ) of it is horrible.
Sometimes , their mission seems to be the total destruction of the Izzy gear mystique: A VFG/light mount with an switch activated by the index finger?
Meditate on that a while.
Or not. Up to you.

blackrifle242
11-13-2009, 8:32 PM
I'm with you gn3hz3ku1 we do get the crappy crap. Thanks for speaking out. I'm tired of people using the word "sniper", tacticool, M4orgery etc. If most the people here that are concerned about what rail or flash hider they are using ever went into combat then they would realize that all you need is a reliable rifle, ammo and the most important.......your brothers watching your back. Nice patch though..lol. By the way, some Navy guys I ran across are using the Vltor CASV. I was just lucky I got a handguard and my FSP had the sight missing. Nothing like being a Marine. TO THE OP... atleast get an MI. I had it on my first build and it was strong and fit perfect on my DPMS upper.

gn3hz3ku1*
11-14-2009, 5:05 PM
so please.. calguns operators.. go put that rifle back in the safe and keep on reading soldier of fortune :)

if it fits. stays on tight, it will be good enough for playing at the range :)

Gofasterdammit
11-14-2009, 7:20 PM
When I first got started in the AR game I ran a UTG I got from cheaper than dirt on my first AR. It held up really well, cost around $80. I upgraded to a Daniel Defense for the bling factor.

gn3hz3ku1*
11-14-2009, 11:31 PM
When I first got started in the AR game I ran a UTG I got from cheaper than dirt on my first AR. It held up really well, cost around $80. I upgraded to a Daniel Defense for the bling factor.

finally someone who is truthful :) :p

5150bronco
11-19-2009, 9:58 PM

you did like the utg? daniel defense would be considered higher quality?

I am looking to put one on my stock ar. thanks.

CHS
11-19-2009, 10:46 PM
you did like the utg? daniel defense would be considered higher quality?

I am looking to put one on my stock ar. thanks.

UTG is a yugo while Daniel Defense is a Rolls Royce.

5150bronco
11-19-2009, 10:53 PM

okay. i get that. I always like to buy once and buy right.

btw. like the quote.

ar15barrels
11-19-2009, 11:26 PM

Read the warning at the link posted above...

It's basically a licensed airsoft version:

http://www.madbullairsoft.com/English/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=230

Daniel Defense Licensed Omega Rail 12" Airsoft version
NOTE: For Airsoft only; The Airsoft version rail is using lower grade Aluminum without forge heating process.
It will be very dangerous if you install it on firearms.

paratroop
11-20-2009, 4:32 AM
just remember that if a military m4 or m16 doesnt have an aluminum rail(most dont, especially m16s), it has a plastic one. the plastic have thin little heat sheilds in them. i really dont see how it would be dangerous to use a cheap aluminum rail. it may get hot quicker, but dangerous? a cheap aluminum barrel or bolt might really be dangerous, but a rail? also i helped a friend modify an airsoft rail to fit his ar a while back. i dont know squat about airsoft, but im handy with tools so he asked me for help. he told me that all airsoft rails are incompatable with real rifles. i dont know if thats true, but besides having to grind a little away, it looked the same as any other rail. just wear an asbestos glove to keep from burning your hand on that dangerously hot rail and you will be fine.

Ruiner
11-20-2009, 5:21 AM
A lot of guys train for the sake of training. I've got years of martial arts under my belt, yet I haven't gotten into a fight. I've taken performance driving/racing classes, yet I don't intend to compete professionally. Some of us do it for the sake of doing it. We need equipment that will stand up to that kind of abuse. I use well known, proven parts rather than cheap ones that may or may not hold up for my car and I do the same for my rifles. Call me a poser or whatever but the truth is, people have different needs. That said, its your rifle, do what you wish but don't start insulting people who take this hobby a step further than just sitting at the bench plinking. Because truthfully, you don't NEED an AR for that either, a cheap .22 will do.

paratroop
11-20-2009, 5:44 AM
for some people here its not a hobby. for some people its actually a living. with that said when i buy a tool, i usually get a craftsman, snap on, dewalt, etc. but sometimes i visit harbor freight. can i tell the difference in quality? yes. does it get the job done? yes. is it dangerous to use? no. not one person on here, including me, has said they have experience with the particular equipment in question, but everyone has an opinion on it. and by the way, most racecar drivers keep their car parked in the garage most of the time anyways, and drive something else around town. but both cars stop and go and turn left and right. they both do the job, but i bet everyone can tell the difference too.

mugdava
11-20-2009, 10:17 AM
JSE Surplus has the YHM9670(7" DI two-piece rail) for $100. I bought more ammo w/ the money I saved and that rail is tighter than a flea's arse. ;)
_______
mugdava

5150bronco
11-20-2009, 1:07 PM
I would just like to find something that works well and I dont have to replace again.

CHS
11-20-2009, 1:13 PM
I would just like to find something that works well and I dont have to replace again.

Yankee hill is a good budget way to go. MI is a little more expensive, but nicer. Neither are crap, but they're not the "best" either.

5150bronco
11-20-2009, 3:18 PM
Yankee hill is a good budget way to go. MI is a little more expensive, but nicer. Neither are crap, but they're not the "best" either.

okay. I will google those names. lol. what is the best?

gn3hz3ku1*
11-20-2009, 3:46 PM
for some people here its not a hobby. for some people its actually a living. with that said when i buy a tool, i usually get a craftsman, snap on, dewalt, etc. but sometimes i visit harbor freight. can i tell the difference in quality? yes. does it get the job done? yes. is it dangerous to use? no. not one person on here, including me, has said they have experience with the particular equipment in question, but everyone has an opinion on it. and by the way, most racecar drivers keep their car parked in the garage most of the time anyways, and drive something else around town. but both cars stop and go and turn left and right. they both do the job, but i bet everyone can tell the difference too.

you got stripes on your arms so you and i both know this. If you had to do it for a living

1. you are not going to be bringing our own "tool" with you
2. you don't pay for your own training (generally)
3. 99 percent of people on calguns never use their tacticool training skills

mugdava
11-20-2009, 4:08 PM
okay. I will google those names. lol. what is the best?
If You ask which is best You'll get several different answers, and they often vary from one to another.

I suggest looking into Troy, Daniel Defense, Midwest Ind, LaRue, YHM and KAC for starters. You pick what is best for You. ;)
_______
mugdava

5150bronco
11-20-2009, 8:10 PM
If You ask which is best You'll get several different answers, and they often vary from one to another.

I suggest looking into Troy, Daniel Defense, Midwest Ind, LaRue, YHM and KAC for starters. You pick what is best for You. ;)
_______
mugdava

okay. I see what you mean. I guess I was thinking of the best, meaning what is high quality or the standard.

thanks. I will do that which works best.

gn3hz3ku1*
11-21-2009, 3:27 PM
okay. I see what you mean. I guess I was thinking of the best, meaning what is high quality or the standard.

thanks. I will do that which works best.

some of these brands end up like the ford vs gm ish

5150bronco
11-21-2009, 3:43 PM
some of these brands end up like the ford vs gm ish

ahhhh. I get it. what do ford guys buy?:confused::p

gn3hz3ku1*
11-21-2009, 3:47 PM
ahhhh. I get it. what do ford guys buy?:confused::p

UTG? ahhaha jkkk ford guys

5150bronco
11-21-2009, 3:53 PM
UTG? ahhaha jkkk ford guys

funny guy! i new there was a set up. lol. I buy polished parts.

gn3hz3ku1*
11-21-2009, 3:57 PM
dude in the end of the day if you are just at the range none of these will matter.
if you ever need it for a real battle situation chances are who ever is sending you there will give you your gun and if it ever get's to that point back at home... well seriously... do you really think that will happen?

5150bronco
11-21-2009, 4:05 PM
dude in the end of the day if you are just at the range none of these will matter.
if you ever need it for a real battle situation chances are who ever is sending you there will give you your gun and if it ever get's to that point back at home... well seriously... do you really think that will happen?

good point. I want to change some stuff on my ar for shooting at range and personal enjoyment. nothing serious. something cheap but good quality/nice looking/sturdy.

run8
11-21-2009, 4:21 PM
That's pretty much all I use is the Midwest, it's not too expensive, and not too cheap either and holds up well for what I want.

Cheapest that will stand up to abuse: Midwest Industries or Yankee Hill.

Don't go cheaper than those, and you'll be taken care of.

5150bronco
11-21-2009, 6:17 PM
That's pretty much all I use is the Midwest, it's not too expensive, and not too cheap either and holds up well for what I want.

nice. where you buy yours at? thanks.

CHS
11-22-2009, 8:59 AM
nice. where you buy yours at? thanks.

Two-piece:
http://riflegear.com/p-38-midwest-industries-two-piece-forearm-carbine-length-mctar-17.aspx

Free-float:
http://riflegear.com/p-41-midwest-industries-two-piece-free-float-carbine-length-mctar-20.aspx

5150bronco
11-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Two-piece:
http://riflegear.com/p-38-midwest-industries-two-piece-forearm-carbine-length-mctar-17.aspx

Free-float:
http://riflegear.com/p-41-midwest-industries-two-piece-free-float-carbine-length-mctar-20.aspx

I like those. good price and no extra work to put them in.

I have a regular length colt, not carbine. I think I could shorten mine though maybe.

CHS
11-22-2009, 2:37 PM
I like those. good price and no extra work to put them in.

I have a regular length colt, not carbine. I think I could shorten mine though maybe.

20" Barrel? Then you need the rifle length versions.

Drop-in two-piece:
http://riflegear.com/p-40-midwest-industries-two-piece-forearm-full-length-mctar-19.aspx

Free-float:
http://riflegear.com/p-43-midwest-industries-two-piece-free-float-full-length-mctar-22.aspx

5150bronco
11-22-2009, 7:53 PM
i will have to check. the first looks really nice. thanks again.

akjunkie
12-10-2009, 11:19 PM
LOL, Now U can buy a UTG and still be Patriotic :laugh:
9 out of 10 reviews positive. Guess it's not too bad.

http://store.a51tactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_67_75&products_id=638&zenid=gb0rl96b59rar5vt7lo26isu15

campperrykid
12-29-2009, 12:56 PM

If possible: test drive both , mount & dismount some accessories. After that , most people will decide to save up for the DD. The DD Omega is a great value -- especially considering the true free float feature , light wieght - And - DIY installation.