PDA

View Full Version : how many handguns a month can you buy?

fred1814
03-15-2005, 8:40 PM
im getting my C&R and i wanted to know how many handguns can i buy every month. i want to buy a cz52 and a beretta bobcat .22lr. if you buy a handgun does the month start from the day you bought it or is it by the month you bought it on

fred1814
03-15-2005, 8:40 PM
im getting my C&R and i wanted to know how many handguns can i buy every month. i want to buy a cz52 and a beretta bobcat .22lr. if you buy a handgun does the month start from the day you bought it or is it by the month you bought it on

C.G.
03-15-2005, 9:57 PM

imported_booknut
03-15-2005, 10:23 PM
I don't know about C&R, but private party purchases are not restricted to one-a-month as far as I know.

Rascal
03-15-2005, 10:34 PM
If you get the Certificate of Eligability from CALDOJ along with your C&R, you will be exempt from the 1 handgun a month law. This includes new handguns as well.

Turbinator
03-15-2005, 11:32 PM
Laws aside, how many handguns per month can you afford? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I'd love to be able to get 1 a month, but I can't even afford THAT!

Still, I am with you guys - I think the restriction sucks.

Turby

Spotted Owl
03-17-2005, 9:54 AM
I also agree that the restriction sucks, but it's one of the few CA guns regulations where the intent is evident.

This is unlike other regulations, such as the 10 day waiting period if someone already owns guns. If someone already owns 100 guns, what will making them wait 10 days to pick up the 101st gun accomplish?

ivanimal
03-17-2005, 10:55 AM
I have bought 3 guns in one month 1 new and 2 PPT. There were no problems.

shin_en
03-17-2005, 8:01 PM
I've never heard of a Certificate of Eligability. Is it a C&R thing only? Its nice to know my options as I can't afford more than 1 a month anyways. Also, the 1 gun a month only applies to handguns, right?

icormba
03-17-2005, 8:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spotted Owl:
I also agree that the restriction sucks, but it's one of the few CA guns regulations where the intent is evident.

This is unlike other regulations, such as the 10 day waiting period if someone already owns guns. If someone already owns 100 guns, what will making them wait 10 days to pick up the 101st gun accomplish? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno... I like to collect guns and 1 a month just SUCKS! the one positive is that I do save a bit more money... but then that just goes to more rifles. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Blue
03-19-2005, 9:50 AM
You're allowed one new purchase a month. There is no limit on private party transfers. Alot of gun dealers have firearms on consignment, and when you buy one they do it as a private party transfer. I transfered three private party pistols in one month, and had no problem. So just buy used and you won't have a problem.

fred1814
03-19-2005, 9:02 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blue84s10:
You're allowed one new purchase a month. There is no limit on private party transfers. Alot of gun dealers have firearms on consignment, and when you buy one they do it as a private party transfer. I transfered three private party pistols in one month, and had no problem. So just buy used and you won't have a problem.[/QUOTE

you transfered three private party pistols in one month. were you the buyer or the seller

Blue
03-20-2005, 8:58 AM
Buyer I don't sell guns http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif The gunshop owner even called up the DOJ to check in on it.

gimmejr
03-20-2005, 1:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So just buy used and you won't have a problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a difference between used and consignment when buying a gun.

imported_booknut
03-21-2005, 6:51 PM
I've had local gunshops tell me that consignment was NOT the same as a private party sale.
Most of the time I was able to get them to contact the owner and see if they would sell it as a private party sale.
I'm not sure if all that business about consignment was correct.
These same two gunshops (one is out of business now-retirement) offered up wrong advice more than once.

ivanimal
03-21-2005, 11:13 PM
I bought 2 guns last month one considered new as it was owned by the store Krauswerk in San Mateo, and another from a private party on consignment at Irvington arms. both were picked up within a week of each other.