PDA

View Full Version : ARE ALL REMINGTON 700s THE SAME...

swerv512
09-30-2009, 4:58 PM
this question is probably easily answered, but i was wondering if all remington 700 action finishes are the same. obviously, they all come off the same line- but is there a difference in finish between a BDL or CDL or a SPS for example...

X-NewYawker
09-30-2009, 5:16 PM
They are different. some are polished more before they are blued (BDL) and are shinier, some are finished with a flat blue ("satin" finished like the CDL) are less shiny and some are MATTE "tactical" finished (like the SPS) which don't reflect light like the polished blued guns.

X-NewYawker
09-30-2009, 5:19 PM
BTW, it is CHEAPER to do a matte finish as the metal requires a sand blasting, and not the high polish they give a BDL before bluing. My first remington was a 308 700 BDL back in 1980 -- and it was beautiful with it's shiny barrel and shiny epoxy finish on the wood. Looked like it was made of carved glass...
Of course, not a very practical finish..

evollep3
09-30-2009, 5:42 PM
too add one what is the differences in the VTR besides thes pretty barrel

X-NewYawker
09-30-2009, 6:05 PM
It's matte finished.

swerv512
09-30-2009, 6:19 PM
ahhh. now i see.

Uriah02
09-30-2009, 6:23 PM
http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/Rem_M700_StainlessSpecial5RMilspec.asp
http://www.snipercentral.com/milspec5r.phtml
I got one of these, between the heavy barrel and the different rifling I'd say it is significantly different. I think the main idea with Remington having so many different models is to suit the exact desire of the buyer. For example, you can get a heavy barrel SPS Tactical for about 600, which is a decent starter for target shooting (too heavy to hunt with) or get a walnut finished BDL chambered in 30-06 for a more conventional rifle, or if you have too much cash to burn you can get a target tactical which is supposed to be the closest to the M24 you can get, although I'd find an FFL who can order from remingtonle.com for the real M24 SWS...
I have yet to see a rifle with more models to suit the desires of the shooter.

swerv512
09-30-2009, 6:31 PM
i know what you mean. i have several remington rifles. i was just thinking of what rifle to buy just for the action- i want to get the action blue-printed and drop a custom barrel on it.... obviuosly i dont want to spend any more dough than required since i'll be ditching just about everything but the action itself.

pacrimguru
09-30-2009, 6:35 PM
I got one of these, between the heavy barrel and the different rifling I'd say it is significantly different.

i've been looking into the 5R recently, how do you like yours? i heard its pretty much a civilian m24. other than the stock, what makes the 5r differ from the m24?

swerv512
09-30-2009, 6:56 PM
m24 costs almost $4k, 5R costs $1k.....
...m24 is based on a long action receiver, 5R can be bought in long action configuration, but anyone who wants .308 win will have to buy a short action (or modify a 300WM)...
...m24 barrel is a much heavier contour than 5R (#8 i believe versus Rem Varmint)
...m24 has a 40-x trigger (i think!), 5R has X-Mark pro
...m24 is a match grade rifle.... 5R is a off the shelf factory remington...

Flying Bones
09-30-2009, 7:16 PM
...m24 is based on a long action receiver, 5R can be bought in long action configuration, but anyone who wants .308 win will have to buy a short action (or modify a 300WM)...
...m24 barrel is a much heavier contour than 5R (#8 i believe versus Rem Varmint)

Is it possible to find an m24?

swerv512
09-30-2009, 7:19 PM
Is it possible to find an m24?

best i could find:
2-3 month wait...
http://www.snipercountrypx.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=117

THT
09-30-2009, 7:43 PM
I got one of these, between the heavy barrel and the different rifling I'd say it is significantly different. I think the main idea with Remington having so many different models is to suit the exact desire of the buyer. For example, you can get a heavy barrel SPS Tactical for about 600, which is a decent starter for target shooting (too heavy to hunt with) or get a walnut finished BDL chambered in 30-06 for a more conventional rifle, or if you have too much cash to burn you can get a target tactical which is supposed to be the closest to the M24 you can get, although I'd find an FFL who can order from remingtonle.com for the real M24 SWS...
I have yet to see a rifle with more models to suit the desires of the shooter.
5R is freakin' awesome! I love mine!

swerv512
09-30-2009, 7:55 PM
i love my 5R too (both of em' :D), but my next will be a trued remington action with barrel, stock, trigger of my choice.

HKROB
09-30-2009, 8:26 PM

The 5R uses a out of spec reject M24 barrel that has been turned down to a smaller 5R contour.

swerv512
09-30-2009, 8:35 PM
The 5R uses a out of spec reject M24 barrel that has been turned down to a smaller 5R contour.

i thought that was a rumor. i cant find any factual evidence to back up that claim.... that may have been true a few years back, but with the current explosion of 5Rs on the market, i can imagine remington tools them right next to the rest of the factory barrels. i thought the term "milspec" just refers to the 5R 11.25 rifling similiar to that used in the military. plenty of barrel makers out there can and do make "5R" barrels....

HKROB
09-30-2009, 8:40 PM
i thought that was a rumor. i cant find any factual evidence to back up that claim.... that may have been true a few years back, but with the current explosion of 5Rs on the market, i can imagine remington tools them right next to the rest of the factory barrels. i thought the term "milspec" just refers to the 5R 11.25 rifling similiar to that used in the military. plenty of barrel makers out there can and do make "5R" barrels....

swerv512
09-30-2009, 8:59 PM
forgot about the "central" review....thanks! :TFH:

while we're talking barrels what are the advantages of cut rifling versus button cut?

evollep3
09-30-2009, 9:16 PM
forgot about the "central" review....thanks! :TFH:

while we're talking barrels what are the advantages of cut rifling versus button cut?

better yet what is the difference and how can you identify each indivdual ones sorry the whole 5r thing is new to me

ar15barrels
09-30-2009, 9:36 PM
i've been looking into the 5R recently, how do you like yours? i heard its pretty much a civilian m24. other than the stock, what makes the 5r differ from the m24?

The M24 has a MUCH heavier barrel.

Uriah02
09-30-2009, 10:46 PM
I haven't shot it enough to really distinguish any praises or gripes. I like it, but I would probably need a cheek pad or an adjustable stock.
I would contest the 5R being an off the shelf rifle, it was I don't think it would've been a special order rifle.

swerv512
10-01-2009, 4:27 AM
fuuny how we start on action, move to 5R now it's barrelling methods...
:TFH:
believe this if you choose (it's taken from another board):

Ok, Al I won't argue about which is more accurate but will disagree on other points. Austrian, Swiss, Swedish, German, Finnish,and Italian barrel makers are pretty much all cold hammer forged barrels and I think the reputation of the Swiss, Swedish, Finnish and Austrian rifles is pretty good for accuracy. The old Swedish M94,96, 38 are very good barrels and very accurate rifles and they are forged. Sako has used cold hammer forging for ever and they are among the very best barrels in the world though not of the level of precision of a cut barrel.

As for American makers I believe Ruger is presently making their own barrels with cold forging and if Remington ever did I don't remember ever reading of such. Button rifling is an American thing and good, bad or ugly they are quicker to make.

Why would a button rifled barrel be more accurate than a precision cut barrel? There are just very few who make cut barrels anymore. Lilja barrels are some of the most precise barrels because of the specialized nature of his operation, not so much because the technique is superior. Dan's barrels are very precise and very smooth and that is what earned him his reputation but his barrels are selected from the button rifleing process with the best dimensional uniformity.

I will have to say that if given a choice of barrels for the most accurate I would take a cut rifled barrel. This process doesn't stress a barrel and it maintains the closest in dimensions over the buttoned or hammered.

Button rifled barrels are mass produced, the barrel is rifled in about 60 seconds. This adds many different stresses to the barrel and causes it to walk shots as it heats up or cools down. For my belt fed weapons or for the greastest in durability I'd always want cold hammer forged. Button rifled barrels are quick and cheap to make. We then sort through all of them and find those few that come out of the rifling process with good dimensions throughout the length and call them match barrels and charge an extra arm and leg for them. We then sell the rest as non-match or standard barrels.

Cut rifle making machines are like hen molars and there are very few makers using this technique. Those who do make very few barrel because it can take over an hour to rifle a barrel. Time is money. Also in this country there are many riflemen wanting barrels now. Barrel makers need to pay the rent so the quick answer is pulling a carbide button down a barrel to rifle it. Make lots of barrels, sell the good one to the match shooters who demand the best, sell the rest to discount houses and everything comes out even.

Cold hammer forging makes a very tough barrel but they are not dimensionally uniform and, though very smooth inside, they will never be the hummer barrrel a cut barrel will be or some of the button barrels will be because of the varying internal diameter.