PDA

View Full Version : Are 9mm carbines legal?

IrishPirate
09-30-2009, 5:04 PM
I'm looking at getting the Hi Point 9mm carbine (or the 40 cal) but a guy at my local shop said all carbines are illegal in CA. I found people online who say they've shipped hi point 9mm carbines to CA before, no problem, but i want to make sure. Is anyone aware of a law that makes carbines illegal, i haven't been able to find anything, not even when searching the CA DOJ website or the CA law library. thanks

Nate74
09-30-2009, 5:08 PM
It's a centerfire rifle so all AW rules apply, just as if it was a .223 or 7.62. Take a look at the flowchart at the top of the page and that should get you squared away.

5hundo
09-30-2009, 5:17 PM
You're going to find that the more you listen to people about gun stuff, the more misinformation you're going to find.

Trust the flowchart and don't let anyone tell you different...

Nate74
09-30-2009, 5:19 PM
You're going to find that the more you listen to people about gun stuff, the more misinformation you're going to find.

Trust the flowchart and don't let anyone tell you different...

Word.

BamBam-31
09-30-2009, 5:21 PM
God, I hope not, or my Ruger PC9 makes me a criminal. :eek: :D

No, pistol caliber carbines are not illegal simply because they're pistol caliber or carbines. As long as you follow the other laws w/ regards to AW status, you're in the clear. Welcome to Calguns, btw. :)

IrishPirate
09-30-2009, 5:24 PM
I saw something in the CA law library that distinguishes detachable magazines by the kind normally thought of, and ones being received in the actual pistol grip. It seemed to say that the AW laws dont apply to weapons whose magazine is fed through the pistol grip. Any ideas?

5hundo
09-30-2009, 5:30 PM
I saw something in the CA law library that distinguishes detachable magazines by the kind normally thought of, and ones being received in the actual pistol grip. It seemed to say that the AW laws dont apply to weapons whose magazine is fed through the pistol grip. Any ideas?

What you're alluding to is a condition of pistol laws and doesn't apply to long-guns. In short (and I'm paraphrasing here, so someone correct me if I'm wrong), it is illegal to have a detachable magazine on a pistol if the magazine well is outside of the pistol grip of the handgun.

elSquid
09-30-2009, 5:33 PM

You might be thinking of the AW pistol rules:

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following: (A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer. (B) A second handgrip. (C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel. (D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

-- Michael

BamBam-31
09-30-2009, 5:33 PM
AFAIK, detachable mags are detachable mags, and if the Hi-Point carbine has a pistol grip, you'll need a bullet button device of some kind to hold the mag in.

dieselpower
09-30-2009, 5:44 PM
all carbines are illegal in California...period, no questions asked.

So is reading the firearm laws before opening a gun shop apparently.

thats a joke people...dont freak on me.

Hayashi Killian
09-30-2009, 5:51 PM
It also needs to follow length/barrel rules. Barrel needs to be at least 16" (including any permanently fixed devices) and OAL needs to be at least 30".

tba02
09-30-2009, 6:16 PM
all carbines are illegal in California...period, no questions asked.

Especially 10/22's as rimfires are EXTRA special!;)

reidnez
09-30-2009, 7:52 PM
Dang, I am really in trouble since 5 out of 6 of the longarms in my closet (if you count the 98K) are carbines! :eek:

IrishPirate
10-04-2009, 10:50 AM
thanks guys, that's what i thought...hopefully the 9th circuit will rule soon and we wont have to worry any more!! (knock on wood)

Fjold
10-04-2009, 11:07 AM
thanks guys, that's what i thought...hopefully the 9th circuit will rule soon and we wont have to worry any more!! (knock on wood)

The 9th circuit has punted to SCOTUS.

jeffyboy
10-04-2009, 12:02 PM
You need to take the flowchart back to your local gun shop and do some schooling. I still run into shops that don't know the law...sad...but true