PDA

View Full Version : Sights for a First AR

TomV
09-30-2009, 12:01 PM
So I have most of the parts to finish my first build. The upper is a BCM 16" Mid-Length Flat Top.

Sights are all that is left.

My question is, for a first (and only) AR should I learn to shoot with BUIS first, then put an optic sight on? Or just go straight to optics?

How about a suggestion for optics also. This will be bench rest 100, maybe 200 yards, the majority of the time. Something reasonably priced, under $500 (?).

Thanks.

nrakid88
09-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Interested to hear what people say. I usually hear that you should go buis first... however i didnt... i went both same time.

evidens83
09-30-2009, 12:14 PM
I'd start with just irons first. Troy makes a top quality buis. Once you feel comfortable shooting with that then I would move to optics. Choice of optics depends on your style of shooting. I went with a Eotech 512.

Cal-Irish
09-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Become proficient with iron then optic up. I'm sticking to irons on my AR for the foreseeable future, just enjoy shooting with Iron and keeping it simple.

Greg-Dawg
09-30-2009, 12:16 PM
ACOG or EoTech.

THT
09-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Learn to shoot with irons first. If you run an optic from day one, you will become dependent on it and if it fails for whatever reason, you will struggle to be accurate. Learning to shoot with irons teaches fundamental marksmanship and an optic should be used to further refine your skills.

As for suggestions,I prefer folding sights so when I am using an optic, they are not co-witnessing with it. As already mentioned, Troy makes an excellent set which I would recommend.

slappomatt
09-30-2009, 12:40 PM
meh I wouldnt worry about optics failing on a 100yrd benchrest gun. I dont have buis on my 6mmBR bench gun. why should he? should I take my 25X leupold off and shoot it with irons at 600m? just because its an AR doesnt mean its a combat gun.

I say stick a good scope in a larue mount and be done with it.

ETA for under 500 that leaves you with nikon optics basicly. either that or be cheaper and put some questionable chinese optics on it and be sorry you did.

evollep3
09-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Learn to shoot with irons first. If you run an optic from day one, you will become dependent on it and if it fails for whatever reason, you will struggle to be accurate. Learning to shoot with irons teaches fundamental marksmanship and an optic should be used to further refine your skills.

As for suggestions,I prefer folding sights so when I am using an optic, they are not co-witnessing with it. As already mentioned, Troy makes an excellent set which I would recommend.

+1
even tho i was A$3 backwards my self so im not as good as i should on irons than i am with optics because all it is cheating :43: but some good iron Troys are a favorite around here and they are nicely built be my self i really like fixed sights like the LMT fixed BUS with a A2 post or a flip up

fliparch
09-30-2009, 12:58 PM
If you have the money, why not buy the sight? I personally shoot more with my irons even if I have a nice scope setup. I find it more challenging and fun to shoot with my irons and they are accurate as heck.

grunz
09-30-2009, 1:00 PM
Get squared away with irons first. :)

Variable2147
09-30-2009, 1:33 PM
I got bored with my red-dot...what I did is what I suggest....

Put a FSB and a detachable carry handle....its a blasty blast

sspen003
09-30-2009, 1:36 PM
Irons. Better to know the basics and its saves you a buck or too.

I recommend Troy, but I run Matech.

Artery
10-01-2009, 5:51 PM
The reason you should learn the irons first is because Aimpoints, eotechs, etc don't require you to have proper head alignment and cheek weld. Proper head position is one of the most critical steps to achieving good accuracy. With a aimpoint/eotech you can have your head position way off and still have the reticle be on target, with a scope you can have your head position off and not know it. Iron sights make it obvious if your head is in the wrong place, and they force you to focus on proper head/eye position.

Once you have that down the aimpoints, eotechs, etc are great because they allow you some 'wiggle room' but if you start off they can become a crutch youre dependent on.

Jonathan Doe
10-01-2009, 5:55 PM
When I teach shooting, I try to make the shooter become proficient with the iron sights first.