PDA

View Full Version : New S&W 642--got some questions.

mywytefeet
09-30-2009, 10:49 AM
I was just wondering if anyone can confirm that the Safariland Comp-1 speedloaders work with a S&W 642? Someone on Midwayusa mentioned that the cylinder release on the 642 gets in the way of the Comp-1 speedloader--just want to see if that's true or not.

I'm very excited because I will be the new owner of a S&W 642 in 10 days! My first revolver. Fits my hand like a glove and feels amazing. So, yeah, I'd like to pick up 2 nice speedloaders and a couple Bianchi speed strips.

Any recommendations on ammunition for defense? Anyone use the .38 spl +P Critical Defense loads from Hornady? BTW, are there advantages/disadvantages from FMJ/semi FMJ/wad cutters/lead nose etc. for target shooting? Not sure about all the terminology and what each are used for (I'm used to GLOCKs and just shooting FMJ for practice and JHP for defense.)

Thanks for all the help!

Blademan21
09-30-2009, 4:23 PM
Yes the Safariland Comp-1 Speedloaders will work with your 642. They work well with mine. Only problem is they don't conceal easily when I carry concealed. I also use the Bianchi Speed Strips. I load 3,space, then 2 rounds in the strips. Personal preference. The space gives me room for my finger to twist the speed strip when loading the cylinder. You made a good choice for a 5-shot J-frame. Load up on range ammo. The short barrel takes getting used to. Good luck.

tigerhui
09-30-2009, 4:56 PM
I've used the Safariland Comp-1 speedloaders on my 642 before. They work okay, but they are a bit bulky. I definitely prefer Bianchi Speed Strips.

You can pretty much shoot any type of bullet out of your 642. Just keep in mind if you are shooting a lot of lead bullets, you'll have to clean up the leading in the barrel too.

mywytefeet
09-30-2009, 5:45 PM
I've used the Safariland Comp-1 speedloaders on my 642 before. They work okay, but they are a bit bulky. I definitely prefer Bianchi Speed Strips.

You can pretty much shoot any type of bullet out of your 642. Just keep in mind if you are shooting a lot of lead bullets, you'll have to clean up the leading in the barrel too.

I like clean guns, so I'll probably just stick to FMJ for target ammo. yeah I think the Bianchi speedstrips will be my reload option when carrying and speedloader for home.

Thanks for the input.

RTE
09-30-2009, 8:17 PM
So your the one that bought the one out from under me :D
Seriously, Have fun with it.
I'll with any kind of luck and a few more $$ get the next one.

mywytefeet
09-30-2009, 9:14 PM
So your the one that bought the one out from under me :D
Seriously, Have fun with it.
I'll with any kind of luck and a few more $$ get the next one.

I'm sure I'll have tons of fun with it! Thanks for the kind words--hope you get yours soon!

mywytefeet
09-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Yes the Safariland Comp-1 Speedloaders will work with your 642. They work well with mine. Only problem is they don't conceal easily when I carry concealed. I also use the Bianchi Speed Strips. I load 3,space, then 2 rounds in the strips. Personal preference. The space gives me room for my finger to twist the speed strip when loading the cylinder. You made a good choice for a 5-shot J-frame. Load up on range ammo. The short barrel takes getting used to. Good luck.

Thank you for the insight and kind words.

jazman
10-01-2009, 8:37 AM
I stick with speed strips for my 642, don't like the bulk of the loaders. When you start shooting it stay at close ranges, 21 feet max. They do take some getting used to so no use discouraging yourself by trying to hit well at 25 yards. They are a short range defensive gun, like Larry Seecamp likes to say if you shoot someone at more than very close range you could be in big trouble.

mywytefeet
10-01-2009, 4:36 PM
I stick with speed strips for my 642, don't like the bulk of the loaders. When you start shooting it stay at close ranges, 21 feet max. They do take some getting used to so no use discouraging yourself by trying to hit well at 25 yards. They are a short range defensive gun, like Larry Seecamp likes to say if you shoot someone at more than very close range you could be in big trouble.

Thanks for the tips! I will do that.

glockman19
10-01-2009, 4:44 PM
For everyting 642 go to:

642 Club
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=138658
&
642 Club Part Deux
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=314422

Happy reading

mywytefeet
10-01-2009, 5:07 PM
For everyting 642 go to:

642 Club
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=138658
&
642 Club Part Deux
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=314422

Happy reading

Thank you very much.

rivviepop
10-01-2009, 5:59 PM
As far as ammo, most people recommend rounds that are designed for snubnose expansion; the Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P rounds are very popular, as well as Corbon 110gr DPX and the Hornady Critical Defense you mention. These three seem to be widely agreed as the top three performers in snubnose .38.

Katana
10-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Also, Magtech Guardian Gold 125 gr. did very well in Ammolab gel tests.

Through calibrated gelatin covered with 4 layers of denim.

MAGTECH 125 GR JHP+P GUARDIAN GOLD
LOT#BB0517L-01
S&W 342PD
PEN. 13"
EXP. .46"
121.6 GR.