PDA

View Full Version : 80% complete lowers

Grendel Guy
09-30-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm wonderering if anyone has seen any (80% lwr. ARs) at the gun shows. I haven't at the ones I've been to in Ca.

Rick530
09-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Saw a couple at CalExpo for sale. Didn't check prices.

Greg-Dawg
09-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Lowers with no stock?

Dirtbiker
09-30-2009, 10:53 AM
There is a guy on gunbroker selling 80% lowers for $80.

I like these because they already have the buffer tube reamed and threaded. These will need the FCG area milled out, trigger pin holes and safety selector detent hole drilled.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141651118

My question is if I finish one of these how do I go about building a pistol out of it? What is the process?

Rick530
09-30-2009, 11:02 AM
The CNC jig makes quick work of these.
http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii379/Rickb530/80injig.jpg

Dirtbiker
09-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Who's jig is that? (brand)

Grendel Guy
09-30-2009, 11:44 AM
I dug this up, http://www.cncguns.com/downloads.html a wealth of info.

Grendel Guy
09-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Yes Greg-Dawg, no stock. All the rest of you guys, thanks. I may be heading to the Reno show in November to see what's there.

joelberg
09-30-2009, 5:10 PM
www.ktordnance.com are the folks who started all this I believe. They sell everything you need to finish it.

Peter W Bush
09-30-2009, 5:22 PM
Tactical machining lowers are about $380 shipped for 5 of them. Just make sure you have a tap for the buffer tube if your want your receiver extension to screw in all the way.

dieselpower
09-30-2009, 5:52 PM
Lowers with no stock?

80% refers to an unfishished lower, which at 80% completed or less is not a firearm. Once you start to complete the lower it turns into a firearm under the law. You then own it, without going through a FFL. You can sell it only if its properly marked and you dont make it to sell it.

MilSim
09-30-2009, 6:16 PM
80% refers to an unfishished lower, which at 80% completed or less is not a firearm. Once you start to complete the lower it turns into a firearm under the law. You then own it, without going through a FFL. You can sell it only if its properly marked and you dont make it to sell it.

Actually it can never enter commerce unless you have a firearm manufactures license. My lower is one of these and the best part is it can be hand fitted to the upper of your choice for zero slop, added to accuracy. They finish great and like diesel said no FFL, so it doesnt "exist".:D

MilSim
09-30-2009, 6:19 PM
Here is the website I got mine from, they got everything. Including raw 1911 frames, LPK's, 80% lowers, AK reciever flats...etc.:D

http://www.ar15plus.com/

ke6guj
09-30-2009, 6:24 PM
Actually it can never enter commerce unless you have a firearm manufactures license.not accurate. If you don't have a 07FFL, you can't make it with the intent to sell/transfer it. If later one, you want to sell/transfer it, you can, but it must be marked with your name, city, state, & serial number.

=Mike=
09-30-2009, 6:36 PM
Is this something that is legal to take to the range? If stopped or seen by a LEO? After being finished and turned into a rifle?

ke6guj
09-30-2009, 6:45 PM
Is this something that is legal to take to the range? If stopped or seen by a LEO? After being finished and turned into a rifle?

As long as it is in a CA-legal non-AW configuration, it is legal. However, it it does not have a serial number (not required for homebuilders), an LEO may think that the serial number has been removed, which is a crime.

dieselpower
09-30-2009, 8:14 PM
not accurate. If you don't have a 07FFL, you can't make it with the intent to sell/transfer it. If later one, you want to sell/transfer it, you can, but it must be marked with your name, city, state, & serial number.

Yes. This is correct. I would add that the code stating how a firearm must be marked is very clear. they can bust you for using improper font and depth of lettering. You can't just scratch "Joe's zombie killer 007" with a knife and call it a day.

Steve O
10-01-2009, 12:52 AM
Actually it can never enter commerce unless you have a firearm manufactures license.

that's actually not true...home built rifles can be sold...

GoingPro
10-01-2009, 1:13 AM
too much of a head ache IMHO.

scubamark13
10-01-2009, 8:14 AM
I saw some 80% at the last show in Del Mar. They do take some time to make but when you are all done you can tell people you made it.

Good luck

spdrcr
10-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Tactical machining lowers are about $380 shipped for 5 of them. Just make sure you have a tap for the buffer tube if your want your receiver extension to screw in all the way.

Wait what? Isn't the whole point of the Tactical Machine lowers that the buffer tower is already tapped so you don't have to buy that huge, expensive tap in the first place? Better to just check that your receiver extension fits properly before doing any drilling on the lower and send it back if you can't properly install the receiver extension.

Peter W Bush
10-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Wait what? Isn't the whole point of the Tactical Machine lowers that the buffer tower is already tapped so you don't have to buy that huge, expensive tap in the first place? Better to just check that your receiver extension fits properly before doing any drilling on the lower and send it back if you can't properly install the receiver extension.

It screws in about half way. On all 5 80% lowers I got, it is not tapped all the way. It needed about 2-3 more threads so the extension could be screwed in all the way.

spdrcr
10-01-2009, 4:27 PM
It screws in about half way. On all 5 80% lowers I got, it is not tapped all the way. It needed about 2-3 more threads so the extension could be screwed in all the way.

Thanks for the info. I guess I won't be ordering any of those.

tomd1584
10-01-2009, 4:32 PM
Actually it can never enter commerce unless you have a firearm manufactures license. My lower is one of these and the best part is it can be hand fitted to the upper of your choice for zero slop, added to accuracy. They finish great and like diesel said no FFL, so it doesnt "exist".:D

the play between upper and lower doesnt affect accuracy.

MilSim
10-01-2009, 6:15 PM
the play between upper and lower doesnt affect accuracy.

Uh yeah it does, why do think somebody had to come up with the Accu wedge?!!:rolleyes:

Peter W Bush
10-01-2009, 7:12 PM
Uh yeah it does, why do think somebody had to come up with the Accu wedge?!!:rolleyes:

There is a lot of doubt as to whether or not the accu wedge does anything good...

dieselpower
10-01-2009, 7:26 PM
There is a lot of doubt as to whether or not the accu wedge does anything good...

It did a lot for someones bank account.

Peter W Bush
10-01-2009, 7:42 PM
It did a lot for someones bank account.

That it did. It's one of those "damn, why didn't I think of that" inventions. Costs nothing to make and promises you the world.

VaderSpade
10-01-2009, 7:48 PM

Mine are all fine, check your tube.

joelberg
10-01-2009, 7:49 PM
Mine are all fine, check your tube.

Their website refers to having to finish tapping that all of the way. Their site says they are only tapped half way.

Peter W Bush
10-07-2009, 1:13 PM
After examining the lowers again, I think that once the FC pocket is milled out, the buffer tube will screw in.

Hunter4life1990
10-07-2009, 1:37 PM
is there any age requirements for these like buying a stripped receiver?

Dirtbiker
10-07-2009, 1:59 PM
^^^ None at all, these aren't considered firearms. They are just blocks of metal.

Peter W Bush
10-07-2009, 3:18 PM
^^^ None at all, these aren't considered firearms. They are just blocks of metal.

Exactly. They're paperweights. Does anybody know if there are any age restrictions on actually making them into a firearm?

himurax13
10-07-2009, 5:42 PM
So if I were to complete this into a 100% lower and I make this into a rifle with a California Legal OLL configuration, will everything be all good? Can I engrave anything I want on it before I get it annoed? Does this mean I never have to get this thing D'ROSed?

slappomatt
10-07-2009, 6:33 PM
I'm pretty sure that is true. Its one of the easier ways to build a pistol AR in CA. I have thought about building one. It would be pretty easy with mill access.

Peter W Bush
10-07-2009, 6:46 PM
I'm pretty sure that is true. Its one of the easier ways to build a pistol AR in CA. I have thought about building one. It would be pretty easy with mill access.

Even easier with the drilling and milling jigs from cncguns.com. The Tactical Machining lowers only need about 2 holes drilled.

Grendel Guy
10-14-2009, 9:27 AM

so is the reciever extension the same as the buffer tube?

himurax13
10-14-2009, 9:59 AM
As long as it is in a CA-legal non-AW configuration, it is legal. However, it it does not have a serial number (not required for homebuilders), an LEO may think that the serial number has been removed, which is a crime.

Do you guys know where the regulation that governs the situation after I decide to complete the receiver on my own and then built a California compliant AR? I would like to have a copy just in case I get stopped by a LEO. So as long as it is in a California compliant configuration, then everything is all gravy? What would I have to do with this to make an AR pistol that is California compliant?

CSACANNONEER
10-14-2009, 9:59 AM

To make money from anal retentive morons. Hell, my 50BMG AR upper isn't tight but, it shoots well enough for me to place in 1000 yard matches against the big boys with VERY expensive custom rifles. But, if using one makes you feel better, you'll shoot better. So, in that sense, they should help some:rolleyes:.

KevinXT
10-14-2009, 11:33 AM
too much of a head ache IMHO.

i agree... i work in a machine shop and was looking into cncing my own lower but from what ive read and interpeted its not worth the headache... might be for some but i just spent the 130 bucks and was on my way...

Grendel Guy
10-14-2009, 12:09 PM
so is the reciever extension the same as the buffer tube?

Hunter4life1990
10-14-2009, 12:12 PM
yes receiver extension = buffer tube and vice versa

Grendel Guy
10-14-2009, 12:20 PM
yes receiver extension = buffer tube and vice versa

Thanks for the clarification

Josh3239
10-14-2009, 4:44 PM
Do you guys know where the regulation that governs the situation after I decide to complete the receiver on my own and then built a California compliant AR? I would like to have a copy just in case I get stopped by a LEO. So as long as it is in a California compliant configuration, then everything is all gravy? What would I have to do with this to make an AR pistol that is California compliant?

What exactly do you want? The law tells us what we can't do, not what we can do. There is presently no law against building your own firearm as long as they comply with all state and federal laws. What if you get stopped by a cop? You show them the same documentation you'd show any cop regarding an AR15 that it isn't on the ban list and show how it complies with all state and federal laws just like your OLL made by whomever makes OLLs.