PDA

View Full Version : Finally shot my POF ar.

tvfreakarms
09-29-2009, 8:10 PM
Well I finally got to shot my ar. I was only shooting at 25yrds. I didn't do very well for my first time. I was shooting low and to the right. I did try adjusting my MI sight but no success. I will be going with my friend hopefully this weekend and he probably can help me out adjusting the iron sight. Like I said i was trying to adjust the damn thing.

My pof upper and my spikes lower, I noticed there is some slight play between the 2. The reason i ask is my buddy has a complete rifle, spikes lower and upper and I noticed no play on his. I know i have 2 different brands but just wondering if this is an issue.

I noticed a slight carrier tilt issue and gouging. I do have the adams arms spring, but it didn't help. I shot 136rds. The ammo I used was centurion 55gr.

Although I had one issue and nothing serious. For some reason there were issues on loading the ammo to the chamber. I had 4 magazines, 2 10/20 c product mag and 1 10rd c product mag and 1 pmag 10/30 mag. I used the 10/30 and the 10/20's first. For some reason it had problems loading into the chamber. I made sure the mag was all the way in and still nothing fired. So, i used the 10rd mag and well it worked. And the rest of the mag was working fine. I don't know what happen but maybe it was me. It was just weird.

JeffW
09-29-2009, 8:25 PM
Don't worry about the play between the upper and lower -- it's completely meaningless if you are shooting correctly. The barrel and optics will stay aligned.

If it really bothers you a $5 accuwedge will probably remove the play.

Can you post pics of the carrier tilt? I have >1k rounds in mine and I don't see any wear at all on buffer tube or inside upper.

If your magazine is causing FTF (failure to feed) get a new magazine. If you've used three recent high quality mags and they all fail then you have some other problem.

It sounds like (and this isn't intended to be a dig) that you're not familiar with the sighting in procedure. Bringing a friend who can is a great idea, but be sure they show you how to do it so you can do it in the future (like when changing sights or optics -- it's the same).

tomd1584
09-29-2009, 8:29 PM
Definately bring a friend to help you....I couldnt imagine shooting 136 rounds and still not having a rifle thats zeroed.

congrats on getting it up and running...

SoCalRandy
09-29-2009, 8:51 PM
Kinda sounds like a disappointing first trip with the new build? I hope you are able to get the iron sights and mag issues squared away so you can have some fun!

bolantej
09-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Gosh, I hope your friend can help you. Remember he's the one that couldn't figure out why his 10/30 mags wouldn't seat properly when they were curving towards him?

;-p

Arteel
09-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Are you loading a full 10 rounds in the 10/20 and 10/30? Might be too much tension with 10 rounds. Next time just try using 9 rounds; it should chamber a round just fine.

tvfreakarms
09-29-2009, 11:02 PM
What type of rifle do you have? I will post pics soon. The carrier tilt is very slight but the gouge isn't really bad. I noticed some metal shavings inside my lower.
The magazines that I have is brand new. But after that incident i hadn't had problems of FTF. I'm hoping to go this weekend and hopefully i won't have anymore carrier tilt, gouging and FTF. I will give an update and pics later this week.

As for the accu wedge, will that add any problems down the line with my lower rec? Will it cause to have more play over time, etc?

Have you used this on your ar? And has anyone else currently using the accu wedge?

Don't worry about the play between the upper and lower -- it's completely meaningless if you are shooting correctly. The barrel and optics will stay aligned.

If it really bothers you a $5 accuwedge will probably remove the play.

Can you post pics of the carrier tilt? I have >1k rounds in mine and I don't see any wear at all on buffer tube or inside upper.

If your magazine is causing FTF (failure to feed) get a new magazine. If you've used three recent high quality mags and they all fail then you have some other problem.

It sounds like (and this isn't intended to be a dig) that you're not familiar with the sighting in procedure. Bringing a friend who can is a great idea, but be sure they show you how to do it so you can do it in the future (like when changing sights or optics -- it's the same).

tvfreakarms
09-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Yea it was frustrating.

Definately bring a friend to help you....I couldnt imagine shooting 136 rounds and still not having a rifle thats zeroed.

congrats on getting it up and running...

tvfreakarms
09-29-2009, 11:04 PM
LOL! Hey fellas this is the friend LOL!. Were both newbies to the AR LOL! Well he did a good job on his ar adjusting his iron sights so hopefully he can do the same with my ar.

Gosh, I hope your friend can help you. Remember he's the one that couldn't figure out why his 10/30 mags wouldn't seat properly when they were curving towards him?

;-p

JeffW
10-01-2009, 12:01 PM
The magpul "art of the carbine" dvd shows how to sight in iron sights properly.

You probably spent more than $30 in ammo trying to sight it in, it might be a good trade off...

Yes, I have personal experience with the accuwedge and no it won't hurt anything. If it's too big you can trim it with an razor...

This is my POF:

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv33/jephjeph/DSC02116.jpg

(ambi selector, giselle ssa trigger, accuwedge, still waiting on the LaRue & T1 combo )

hkdad
10-01-2009, 12:06 PM
bushmaster lower??

thy95
10-01-2009, 12:07 PM
that a nice lokking rifle

tvfreakarms
10-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Nice! how long have you had it? By the way how well does it shot? Any good group shots?

You probably spent more than $30 in ammo trying to sight it in, it might be a good trade off...

Yes, I have personal experience with the accuwedge and no it won't hurt anything. If it's too big you can trim it with an razor...

This is my POF:

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv33/jephjeph/DSC02116.jpg

(ambi selector, giselle ssa trigger, accuwedge, still waiting on the LaRue & T1 combo )

JeffW
10-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Yes, it's a bushmaster lower and an armalite lpk.

I've had it (the pof upper) for over a year, and as I mentioned > 1k rounds down the pipe. This will be my primary rifle for my next carbine class.

As far as groupings I mailed off my last set of targets to my dad so I don't have any around here.

Last time I shot this rifle I was doing a mix of prone, crosslegged, bench, and offhad on reduced targets on the 50 yard line:

http://www.second-amendment.org/misc/USMC-E2-silhouette-50-yards.pdf

This simulates a man size target at 300 yards. Now, reduced targets are not as hard as the real thing (windage, etc), but to me it's Better Than Nothing due to local range availability and unavailability of unrestricted public land.

I can keep it in the black with 55grn and also lake city m855. For my match gun I use black hills 69 grn and I haven't shot more than a box of it in the POF.

I should also add this is a Reg'd California A.W. before someone asks ...

Steve O
10-01-2009, 12:30 PM

You mean "The Art of The Tactical Carbine"?
http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=126_127&products_id=352

Or is it an earlier DVD series?

JeffW
10-01-2009, 12:32 PM
You mean "The Art of The Tactical Carbine"?
http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=126_127&products_id=352

Or is it an earlier DVD series?

That's the one, sorry for the imprecision.

I think I'll pop it in right now while I work on this proposal...

ar15barrels
10-01-2009, 1:37 PM
Yes, it's a bushmaster lower and an armalite lpk.

I've had it for over a year,

I hope you have had it over 9 years...

hkdad
10-01-2009, 1:41 PM
I hope you have had it over 9 years...

that's what i was thinking....

JeffW
10-01-2009, 1:47 PM
Oh noes!!! It's the semantics police!!

I already stated that it is a california registered a.w. in post #14 of this thread

That means there are two options:

1) I have magical powers and convinced the DOJ to issue me a registration after the cut off

2) That the AR15 is a modular platform, and some part of it (like the upper?!) had been changed out more recently.

You'll just have to decide which is more likely...

ar15barrels
10-01-2009, 1:51 PM
1) I have magical powers and convinced the DOJ to issue me a registration after the cut off

I wanna know how you did that!

hkdad
10-01-2009, 3:04 PM
I wanna know how you did that!

k-lal
houdini
copperfield
david blain
chris angel

:confused::confused::confused:

it's magic...

fliparch
10-01-2009, 7:08 PM
Don't fret. It took me two trips to fully sight my AR's BUIS and Scope. I did it by myself the first time with no luck...I couldn't even find where I was hitting at 15 yds., but it worked great with another person the second time :)

bomb_on_bus
10-01-2009, 7:58 PM
Oh noes!!! It's the semantics police!!

I already stated that it is a california registered a.w. in post #14 of this thread

That means there are two options:

2) That the AR15 is a modular platform, and some part of it (like the upper?!) had been changed out more recently.

You'll just have to decide which is more likely...

LLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZ!!!!!!!!

JeffW
10-03-2009, 5:56 PM
For my next magic trick I had a guy from UPS show up and drop off an aimpoint T-1 in a Larue 660HK mount straight from Larue. It does indeed co-witness, it is upper 5/8ths with the troy sights.

I know some people don't like the higher rails on the POF's, but I don't mind and just take it into account when purchasing accessories. I also have an Armalite with the CASV-EL which does the same thing.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv33/jephjeph/DSC02119.jpg

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv33/jephjeph/DSC02122.jpg

Finally, this rifle is DONE and I will not be changing it until something breaks... well, maybe a duracoat or something.

My "black rifle barbie doll," has me in a happy place.

POF-USA 16" Upper with extended predator rails, bravo company upgraded extractor spring and o-ring
Bushmaster Lower (California Reg'd A.W.)
Ergo Grip & Gapper
Magpul ASAP and MS2 sling, CQD front attachment point
Giselle SSA trigger
Armalite LPK
Larue 660HK, Aimpoint T-1, Troy BUIS
Ambi Selector
Bobro shorty & Olight Warrior Premium on offset mount when VFG/light combo is needed

tvfreakarms
10-04-2009, 12:57 AM
How much is the ambi selector costs?
Is there a big difference getting a upgraded extractor spring and o ring?
By the way how much was your optics?

Let us pof owners know how it handles during your carbine class.
For my next magic trick I had a guy from UPS show up and drop off an aimpoint T-1 in a Larue 660HK mount straight from Larue. It does indeed co-witness, it is upper 5/8ths with the troy sights.

I know some people don't like the higher rails on the POF's, but I don't mind and just take it into account when purchasing accessories. I also have an Armalite with the CASV-EL which does the same thing.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv33/jephjeph/DSC02119.jpg

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv33/jephjeph/DSC02122.jpg

Finally, this rifle is DONE and I will not be changing it until something breaks... well, maybe a duracoat or something.

My "black rifle barbie doll," has me in a happy place.

POF-USA 16" Upper with extended predator rails, bravo company upgraded extractor spring and o-ring
Bushmaster Lower (California Reg'd A.W.)
Ergo Grip & Gapper
Magpul ASAP and MS2 sling, CQD front attachment point
Giselle SSA trigger
Armalite LPK
Larue 660HK, Aimpoint T-1, Troy BUIS
Ambi Selector
Bobro shorty & Olight Warrior Premium on offset mount when VFG/light combo is needed

tvfreakarms
10-04-2009, 1:12 AM
I hope so. Hopefully its not the gun but it's just me:)

Don't fret. It took me two trips to fully sight my AR's BUIS and Scope. I did it by myself the first time with no luck...I couldn't even find where I was hitting at 15 yds., but it worked great with another person the second time :)

ar15barrels
10-04-2009, 8:36 AM
As for the accu wedge, will that add any problems down the line with my lower rec? Will it cause to have more play over time, etc?

Accuwedges do cause additional wear to the reciever holes because they are forcing the two recievers apart as you are pushing the takedown pin through them.
If you start using an accuwedge, plan on using one for the life of the gun because there will be MORE slop between the recievers after using one for a while than if you had never used one.

tvfreakarms
10-05-2009, 12:22 AM
OH that's not good. There really isn't much play so i'm not going to use the accuwedge after all. But I do want the ambi selector.