PDA

View Full Version : FtF woes

rkt88edmo
02-28-2005, 11:39 AM
I tried to dig up one of the threads where this has been discussed before just to tack it on, but I couldn't find one.

So, I want to buy a pistol from a guy who has Mondays off. It is hard to find an FFL because many are closed on Monday and Sunday. I thought I would be in luck because two shops near me are open on Monday. I thought I'd call ahead just to make sure they accept affadavits and that I would have proof of residency that is acceptable to them, but...

Canyon Sports - "We only do FTF PPT on Saturdays"

Contra Costa Collectibles - "We are doing those right now, try DVGunworks, but they aren't open Mondays"

http://www.calguns.net/banghead.gif

rkt88edmo
02-28-2005, 11:39 AM
I tried to dig up one of the threads where this has been discussed before just to tack it on, but I couldn't find one.

So, I want to buy a pistol from a guy who has Mondays off. It is hard to find an FFL because many are closed on Monday and Sunday. I thought I would be in luck because two shops near me are open on Monday. I thought I'd call ahead just to make sure they accept affadavits and that I would have proof of residency that is acceptable to them, but...

Canyon Sports - "We only do FTF PPT on Saturdays"

Contra Costa Collectibles - "We are doing those right now, try DVGunworks, but they aren't open Mondays"

http://www.calguns.net/banghead.gif

maxicon
02-28-2005, 12:11 PM
I've only had experience in the Bay Area, but here's what I've seen.

Call anyone first and ask about hidden charges, storage fees, whatever.

- Targetmasters, Milpitas - Great experience, friendly, helpful, no problems. Someone said in another thread they may not be doing FTF right now as they transition owners, so call first.

- Sportsmen's Supply, Campbell - They don't really want to do FTF. They will, but they tag on an extra charge for handguns for the safe handling demonstration, and for long guns, if you pick it up even 1 day after the 10th day, they charge a storage fee. Not a happy customer support experience, and I've bought a pile of guns from them.

- Kerleys, Cupertino - Haven't actually done one yet, but will this Wednesday. On the phone, they said no problem, no hidden charges, come on in! They sounded happy to be doing it, but more data later this week.

bwiese
02-28-2005, 12:29 PM
I believe that all dealers in CA are required to provide transfer services. However doing this one day a week probably qualifies as 'reasonable' in eyes of the law.

Also, PC 12082(c) essentially specifies that if dealer doesn't sell handguns then dealer doesn't have to process handgun PPTs.

I believe Sheriff's offices & PDs may also offer these services - but can't remember if there's something like a max population restriction, etc. They may have specific time slots too.

You could call Target Master's in Milpitas. I know it may be a bit of a drive for you but they are open til 10am-Midnight Mon-Sat, and 10AM-10PM Sunday.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

rkt88edmo
02-28-2005, 1:21 PM
Oh, I'm sure I'll get it done eventually. Just a bit annoyed at the moment.

I wish Fremont was a bit closer.

Librarian
02-28-2005, 6:32 PM
DVG in Pleasant Hill was clean and routine last year, but if they're not open Monday that doesn't help. I thought Bill S. was/is a 'good kind' of character. DVG: 925 676 4117

Colonel Klink
02-28-2005, 7:17 PM
San Leandro Pistol and Rifle Range has two people that do transfers and the range is open seven days a week until 9:00 PM.

I would try Larry first then Richard second. The number is 510 638-9605

imported_EOD Guy
03-02-2005, 5:55 AM
Contra Costa Collectables sells handguns and so is required by law to do private party transfers.

rkt88edmo
03-02-2005, 6:47 AM
I'm aware of the legal requirement. But I'm not going to harass an FFL about their legal duties; just make a note and move on to someone else who is more helpful.

The seller made a little time in his schedule and we sealed the deal at Antioch Armory (closest FFL to him) on Tuesday.

While the guys at AA clearly weren't big fans of having to do FTF at a price set by the state, they were great to deal with. I'm sure I will make purchases from them in the future.

stillbigmac
03-02-2005, 9:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by maxicon:

if you pick it up even 1 day after the 10th day, they charge a storage fee. Not a happy customer support experience, and I've bought a pile of guns from them.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do ppt for the stated fee of 35 bucks, but the storage fee sounds like a GREAT idea... I have been storeing a couple of guns for over a year.. many many guns go well over 3 months. The whole time I am responsible for them and have to give them due care and protection.. Seems an awful lot to ask of a guy for 10 bucks!

These same people are the most likely to ***** and moan about any little thing..

I am flat amazed when people don't come back for their guns. I am like the lady in the Mervins comercial when my 10 days are up !

Most of the time PPT's are a simple slam dunk, thanks for the 10 bucks http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BigAL
03-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Over 3 months before they picked up their gun? I don't even like waiting 5 mins for the guy to make the NICS phone call!

maxicon
03-02-2005, 8:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I do ppt for the stated fee of 35 bucks, but the storage fee sounds like a GREAT idea... I have been storeing a couple of guns for over a year.. many many guns go well over 3 months. The whole time I am responsible for them and have to give them due care and protection.. Seems an awful lot to ask of a guy for 10 bucks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, after 30 days, it has to be re-DROS'd right? What happens if someone just doesn't come back for it, like the over a year guns?

It seems like a reasonable thing to start charging storage after the 30 day window.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">- Kerleys, Cupertino - Haven't actually done one yet, but will this Wednesday. On the phone, they said no problem, no hidden charges, come on in! They sounded happy to be doing it, but more data later this week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did it. Went great. They gave it to a new guy, who was pretty competent, and then double-checked everything for him.

Everybody was friendly and helpful. I recommend them for PPT in the South Bay.

They also had a nice assortment of tiny old .22 pump actions and single shot rifles that someone had brought in. If I hadn't just bought a pistol, I'd have been tempted!