PDA

View Full Version : Is a Gap Between the Receiver Feed Ramps and the Barrel a Problem?

Blood Ocean
09-29-2009, 4:11 PM
Hey Guys,
I bought a bargain upper from JSE Surplus ($375 Delton) and I read that some went out with M4 ramps on the receiver but not the barrel. I wanted to see if I had this problem but in my case it doesn't look like the feed lips even touch the barrel at all, there is approximately a 1" gap between the lips and the barrel. It also appears that the barrel does not have the any cuts at all (round all the way with no relief cuts). This upper was supposedly test fired before shipment (per the website) but this looks nothing I have seen on the internet. I will take more and better pictures tonight to try and show the situation but has anyone heard of this problem before? You may be able to see the gap in the picture below but it is pretty hard to see. If the lips are not touching the barrel is it even safe to shoot? I'm going to Convict Lake this weekend with other friends and we're all bringing the ARs so I'd like to be able to shoot it. Any guidance is appreciated, and if anyone is in the Los Angeles area between San Pedro and Santa Monica (West LA) that could identify if this is a problem and could suggest a fix I'd love to get your opinion.

Thanks for the help!

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz308/mrthomasdinkel/Picture003.jpg

Linus
09-29-2009, 4:14 PM
That's not that bad, you should be OK.
From Ar15barrels:
http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/feedramps.jpg

sevensix2x51
09-29-2009, 4:37 PM
there are no feed ramps in the chamber of the rifle, and there are not supposed to be. i think youre looking for ramps where there are none to be found.... (unless the photo is deceiving me,) the setup you have has m4 ramps on the barrel, and a standard upper. or standard feed ramps on the barrel, and a really crappy camera. :D

Blood Ocean
09-29-2009, 4:41 PM
AHH, I didn't realize that the barrel extended so far (typical noob I suppose) into the receiver. So my case is one of extended cuts in the barrel but not the receiver. Thanks for the quick info.

aplinker
09-29-2009, 5:39 PM
You look like rifle receiver and rifle extension, to me, from that horrible blurry image.

DarkHorse
09-29-2009, 5:40 PM
Yeah, the gap between the feed ramp and barrel is where the bolt locks up.