PDA

View Full Version : DOJ just called

OCArmory
09-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Well I got the call from the DOJ. It's time for my very first inspection. Any suggestions or recommendations?
Mike

halifax
09-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Signage (all, including business license with the required dealer verbage).

Check DROS Forms for:

Date/time of delivery

Signatures

Fingerprints

Comment w/lock make model or "Safe Affidavit on File"

All the firearms that should be in your safe are really in your safe with the required warning tag attached

My inspector didn't really check any ID copies except the one I had for LEO exemption.

Good Luck

eltee
09-29-2009, 8:16 PM
If you have personal guns or guns not for sale co-mingled with inventory, be sure to tag them "Not for Sale."

Gijoe
09-29-2009, 8:34 PM
good luck

jksupplyco
09-29-2009, 9:21 PM
Its not too bad.. I've only had Analysts up here, and its gone smoothly. halifax pretty much covered it all..

remington
09-30-2009, 6:42 AM
Mike, is it Bob Berthold? He just came by about 2 months ago at my place (Home business). I will give you call later today.

N

PRKArms
09-30-2009, 6:47 AM
It doesn't hurt to have your lawyer on hand 'visiting socially' during the inspection.

PatriotnMore
09-30-2009, 7:01 AM
Great advice, the cost for one to be on hand just in case, could be cheap if something goes amiss.

It doesn't hurt to have your lawyer on hand 'visiting socially' during the inspection.

C&W Reloading
09-30-2009, 8:50 PM
I had Bob Berthold out to my home business 4 months back and it went very smooth. He checked everything halifax mentioned. make sure all your "white" (state) paper is in order. Bob was very professional and seems like a good pro gun guy. He saw a few different ones listed in my A&D book that generated some good conversations. Cross your tee's and dot your I's:):

oaklander
09-30-2009, 8:53 PM
+1 :D

anthonyca
09-30-2009, 9:09 PM

The older I get, the more I learn, the harder I work, the more I agree with that statement.

vinniesguns
10-01-2009, 3:02 PM
What are the warning tags you are supposed to have on the guns for sale? Where do you get them?

kemasa
10-01-2009, 4:15 PM
The child safety warning tags are available from the CA DOJ.

http://www.net-ffl.com/images/trigger_tag.jpg

tenpercentfirearms
10-01-2009, 5:02 PM
What are the warning tags you are supposed to have on the guns for sale? Where do you get them?

Note, my understanding is you do not have to have them on the guns for sale, but that they must be delivered with the firearms. Now I haven't had a real DOJ audit yet to confirm this, but if I remember when they sent the heavies down to intimidate us, they did mention they liked that we used those tags to mark guns for people. So when I sell a lower, I write the customer last name on that DOJ tag and rubber band it through the receiver extension hole.

For everything that usually gets a box, we just throw one in the box when they go to deliver it.

Anyone want to show PC for what we are supposed to do. I need to get off this computer and get to Geocaching.

kemasa
10-01-2009, 5:31 PM
It is supposed to be attached to the trigger guard of the firearm and it only needs to be there when it is delivered to the customer. The law does not say the trigger guard, but it does say that the AG determines how it is to be affixed and I recall something saying that it is to be attached to the trigger guard.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.php
29 What are the firearm warning label and safety device requirements?

Each firearm sold by firearms dealers must be accompanied by a child safety warning label.

12088.3. (a) The packaging of any firearm and any descriptive
materials that accompany any firearm sold or transferred in this
state, or delivered for sale in this state, by any licensed
manufacturer, or licensed dealer, shall bear a label containing the
following warning statement:
WARNING
Children are attracted to and can operate firearms that can cause
severe injuries or death.
Prevent child access by always keeping guns locked away and unloaded
when not in use. If you keep a loaded firearm where a child obtains
and improperly uses it, you may be fined or sent to prison.
A yellow triangle containing an exclamation mark shall appear
immediately before the word "Warning" on the label.
(b) If the firearm is sold or transferred without accompanying
packaging, the warning label or notice shall be affixed to the
firearm itself by a method to be prescribed by regulation of the
Attorney General.
(c) The warning statement required under subdivisions (a) and (b)
shall be:
(1) Displayed in its entirety on the principal display panel of
the firearm's package, and on any descriptive materials that
accompany the firearm.
(2) Displayed in both English and Spanish in conspicuous and
legible type in contrast by typography, layout, or color with other
printed matter on that package or descriptive materials in a manner
consistent with Part 1500.121 of Title 16, of the Code of Federal
Regulations, or successor regulations thereto.

TripleT
10-02-2009, 7:59 PM
Have your local license (SO etc.) posted on wall with resale certificate and your signs including the price list for transactions. The book stuff I think others have covered.

WFAInc
10-05-2009, 7:53 PM
We just went thru ours and well I have alot of paperwork to take care of before my follow up visit. Next time I'll have our lawyer present. That's good I liked that.

OCArmory
10-07-2009, 7:51 AM
Well after taking an evening to decompress from the DOJ's visit heres the skinny. The day started with a visual inspection of the shop. No problems there. He wanted to see all my open DROS's from 10 days. Making sure all the guns were there. This was interesting as it went something like, AK pistol, AK pistol, AR pistol, Mac 11.... you get the idea. Had an interesting talk about the DOJ needing to make a decision on bullet buttons and fixed magazines. Then preceded to look over all my DROS's from the past year. I file my dros paperwork separate from my 4473 so he did not want to look at those. Let me with 2 little yellow pieces of paper. I need to focus on writing in the make and modelof the lock sold when people don't bring me their safe info. Started about 8:45am and left around 4pm.

Now the questions. Obviously I will go through and correct all my DROS's. There is a compliance date next to the errors of a month from now. Can I expect a new inspection in November? and Can I expect any fines to appear in my mailbox. He said everything looked ok and there was nothing that made him alarmed. He also said that I had about the same errors of other shops that do the same volume.
Mike

AJAX22
10-07-2009, 8:21 AM
Well after taking an evening to decompress from the DOJ's visit heres the skinny. The day started with a visual inspection of the shop. No problems there. He wanted to see all my open DROS's from 10 days. Making sure all the guns were there. This was interesting as it went something like, AK pistol, AK pistol, AR pistol, Mac 11.... you get the idea. Had an interesting talk about the DOJ needing to make a decision on bullet buttons and fixed magazines. Then preceded to look over all my DROS's from the past year. I file my dros paperwork separate from my 4473 so he did not want to look at those. Let me with 2 little yellow pieces of paper. I need to focus on writing in the make and modelof the lock sold when people don't bring me their safe info. Started about 8:45am and left around 4pm.

Now the questions. Obviously I will go through and correct all my DROS's. There is a compliance date next to the errors of a month from now. Can I expect a new inspection in November? and Can I expect any fines to appear in my mailbox. He said everything looked ok and there was nothing that made him alarmed. He also said that I had about the same errors of other shops that do the same volume.
Mike

:D

Its amazing how much has changed in the last 4 years.

tenpercentfirearms
10-08-2009, 9:47 PM

Mike

That is awesome. The ATF was at our shop all week from 9-5! I don't even open until noon.

remington
10-08-2009, 9:58 PM
I just emailed my "defiencies" to the inspector within the 30 days noted. I got a "thanks". I dont think there will be any fines. They may or may not reinspect but based in my dicussions and inspection, they dont have the time. But if you correct the defiencies and let them know they have no reason to come back.

Based on the volume of the transactions you do and the OLL's involved, you did really good! Good job and congrats!