PDA

View Full Version : Anybody in San Diego with a MIG?

PolishMike
09-29-2009, 1:13 PM
Hey,

I have an AK build to do and I need to use a simple MIG welder. TIG would actually be the best but I do not know how to weld with a TIG. It would only take an hour or so and I would be happy to provide some beer or w/e. I live in Linda Vista.

Mike

Vanguard
09-29-2009, 1:24 PM
I thought this was going to be about surplus Russian fighter aircraft. :(

Gunaria
09-29-2009, 2:14 PM

Me too.

PolishMike
09-29-2009, 5:26 PM
Ill take THAT kind of MIG too if anyone has a spare layin around ;)

Bentot
09-29-2009, 6:10 PM
Maybe this weekend at Miramar Airshow. :D

microstencil
09-29-2009, 9:34 PM
I have a Millermatic DVI2 in San Marcos if you want to stop by and use it. It's a little to big to move around.

Gary

760practicalshooter
09-29-2009, 9:41 PM
MIG here as well.

gravedigger
09-29-2009, 10:33 PM
MIG, on a gun? I wouldn't suggest it. MIG welding (Metal Inert Gas) requires the surrounding metal to be hot prior to welding, if you want the weld to hold. It uses a wire feed of a steel that is flexible enough to be fed through the MIG gun, and thus, it will not give you the strength of an alloy used with TIG welding. TIG welding (Tungsten Inert Gas) is far more preferable. I am (was) a certified welder, and unless you are just tacking a strap ring together or something, I advise you to find a TIG welder who can do the job for you. I have a nice MillerMatic 250 MIG machine, but I wouldn't ever think about using it on a gun.

retired
09-29-2009, 10:34 PM

http://www.military-heat.com/19/russian-military-aircraft-sale-general-public/

:D

CGT80
09-30-2009, 8:29 AM
For mild steel parts the MIG may work just fine. I use ER-70S6 filler for both MIG and TIG. Yes, pre-heating may be required and TIG will give better more controllable results, but when the correct filler is used with the correct base metal, MIG can be just as strong. TIG welding a cold part can also be bad. A small part may heat up from TIG before you start to add much filler, but but a large part such as a barrel may need to be pre-heated.

I just wanted to show that MIG is not an inferior process, it has applications such as automotive, structural steel, or manufacturing. TIG is better for precision work, asthetics, and when greater control over deposition rate vs. heat input is required. TIG is slower, but can be more versatile.

Go for the TIG welder. Especially if the parts are stainless or aluminum.