PDA

View Full Version : 922r Compliance Question

crob
09-29-2009, 11:33 AM
If you had a complete OLL AK clone, does it still fall under 922r restrictions, or does it apply more to piecing together a gun from one of those kit sets? For example, a complete Maadi RPM. If you want to swap the thumbhole stock for a pistol grip and stock kit, is it okay as long as the kit is US made? Do other parts need to be swapped?

09-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Is the AK clone receiver imported ?

B Strong
09-29-2009, 11:43 AM
You can add U.S. made parts to your heart's content.

gose
09-29-2009, 11:43 AM

You may not assemble a non-sporting rifle out of more than 10 foreign parts and for 922(r) the receiver just counts as one of the parts.

crob
09-29-2009, 11:46 AM

Yes, the entire gun was imported as a whole, not assembling from a parts kit. I guess my question really boils down to this. If you have a complete AK clone and add the necessary CA compliance parts (mag lock and 10 rd mag), can you simply swap the thumbhole stock for a pistol grip stock or does more need to be done?

SJgunguy24
09-29-2009, 11:50 AM

The AK has 16 parts that are counted for 922r.
You need to swap out at least 6 forein parts with USA made parts.
The reciever can count as a USA part.
922r is a import law. Simple explaination, if the gun can't be imported in the configuration you want, than x number of foregin parts must be swapped with the same amount of USA parts.

If you want to swap the thumbhole stock for a P.G. and a different stock thats fine.
You do have to comply with Califoria's AW restrictions and 922r.

SJgunguy24
09-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Yes, the entire gun was imported as a whole, not assembling from a parts kit. I guess my question really boils down to this. If you have a complete AK clone and add the necessary CA compliance parts (mag lock and 10 rd mag), can you simply swap the thumbhole stock for a pistol grip stock or does more need to be done?

Is that rifle listed?

crob
09-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Is that rifle listed?

No, it is a Maadi RPM.

wash
09-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Is it pre-ban (the federal ban)?

That will let you get around 922(r) too.

crob
09-29-2009, 12:13 PM

I believe it is. Was purchased in it's current configuration through an FFL at some point during the 90s. Not sure on the exact year. Gun is not mine, trying to help a friend avoid as much hassle as possible. Thanks for all the information so far guys.

69Mach1
09-29-2009, 12:14 PM

RPM's are not preban. Don't get confused with the import law of 89' with the defunct Fed. AW ban from 1994-2004. It did make it in before the "capcity to accept high cap military magazines" prohibition though.

69Mach1
09-29-2009, 12:15 PM
I believe it is. Was purchased in it's current configuration through an FFL at some point during the 90s. Not sure on the exact year. Gun is not mine, trying to help a friend avoid as much hassle as possible. Thanks for all the information so far guys.

I'm sure your friend registered it as an AW at the right time, or removed the thumbhole stock to avoid the AW feature.

SJgunguy24
09-29-2009, 12:19 PM
:hide:
I stopped where I did for a reason..........

I'm sure your friend registered it as an AW at the right time, or removed the thumbhole stock to avoid the AW feature.

crob
09-29-2009, 12:20 PM

Yes it was disassembled. He left it at that and figured he'd never get to shoot it. We recently discovered bullet buttons and maglocks, so he saw it as an opportunity to get to take it out, and change the configuration to a pistol grip. Honestly, it is still in pieces, but the mag lock has been installed on the reciever. We then discovered the 922r stuff, so he wanted to know what else he needs to change before buttoning it up.

69Mach1
09-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Yes it was disassembled. He left it at that and figured he'd never get to shoot it. We recently discovered bullet buttons and maglocks, so he saw it as an opportunity to get to take it out, and change the configuration to a pistol grip. Honestly, it is still in pieces, but the mag lock has been installed on the reciever. We then discovered the 922r stuff, so he wanted to know what else he needs to change before buttoning it up.

Tell him to add a US made pistol grip, FCG, and butt stock. The RPM has a muzzle cover welded on, so no problem there.

69Mach1
09-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Oh, and ask him how much he wants for it. :D

69Mach1
09-29-2009, 12:26 PM
:hide:
I stopped where I did for a reason..........

Yeah, "land mines" I'm telling ya.....land mines.:)

crob
09-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Tell him to add a US made pistol grip, FCG, and butt stock. The RPM has a muzzle cover welded on, so no problem there.

Cool, the stock he bought is indeed US made. I will have him swap over the FCG (probably would be a good idea anyways). Thanks for all the help guys.

CSACANNONEER
09-29-2009, 3:01 PM
The AK has 16 parts that are counted for 922r.
You need to swap out at least 6 forein parts with USA made parts.
The reciever can count as a USA part.
922r is a import law. Simple explaination, if the gun can't be imported in the configuration you want, than x number of foregin parts must be swapped with the same amount of USA parts.

If you want to swap the thumbhole stock for a P.G. and a different stock thats fine.
You do have to comply with Califoria's AW restrictions and 922r.

This is a really bad interpetation of 922(r). You do not need to replace "the same number of parts" with US parts. The way the law reads, is simple. If you are going to change your rifle to a configuration which can not be imported, you need to limit your listed foreign parts to a maximum of ten. If you simply remove a pistol grip and want to keep it off, that's fine. It's one less foreign part. You would not be required to put a US made one on.

stix213
09-29-2009, 3:42 PM
If you had a complete OLL AK clone, does it still fall under 922r restrictions, or does it apply more to piecing together a gun from one of those kit sets? For example, a complete Maadi RPM. If you want to swap the thumbhole stock for a pistol grip and stock kit, is it okay as long as the kit is US made? Do other parts need to be swapped?

If you rifle is considered "unsporting" which means you have to comply with the 922r parts count BS, then just follow this checklist by unchecking items that are US made or you do not have. It will tell you if your rifle is illegal or not.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

If your rifle is in a sporting configuration then you get to ignore all this 922r BS. Though having stuff like a forward vertical grip is just far too much fun, for me at least :) Having a pistol grip, high capacity magazine, forward vertical grip, and several other features will classify your rifle's configuration as "unsporting" and required to comply with the 922r parts count provision. Oddly enough a thumbhole stock is considered an evil assault weapon feature by California law, but is still considered "sporting" with regard to 922r.

stix213
09-29-2009, 3:48 PM
This is a really bad interpetation of 922(r). You do not need to replace "the same number of parts" with US parts. The way the law reads, is simple. If you are going to change your rifle to a configuration which can not be imported, you need to limit your listed foreign parts to a maximum of ten. If you simply remove a pistol grip and want to keep it off, that's fine. It's one less foreign part. You would not be required to put a US made one on.

Though if you remove the pistol grip, depending on how else the rifle is configured it could be considered a "sporting" configuration... which would let you ignore 922r parts counts, like how the Saiga AK variant rifles are always imported.

Steve O
09-29-2009, 4:13 PM

From what I understood. parts kit, or whole rifle. if you change the stock, you need to go 922r.

CSACANNONEER
09-30-2009, 6:15 AM
From what I understood. parts kit, or whole rifle. if you change the stock, you need to go 922r.

Only if you build it into a configuration which would be deemed "non-sporting" and thus not capable of being imported under current laws.

motorhead
09-30-2009, 10:24 AM
when you change the butthole stock you change it's original "sporting" configuration, thus bringing in 922(r). no big deal, plenty of us parts are available. stock and p/g each count as one.

CSACANNONEER
09-30-2009, 2:03 PM
when you change the butthole stock you change it's original "sporting" configuration, thus bringing in 922(r). no big deal, plenty of us parts are available. stock and p/g each count as one.

It totally depends on what kind of stock you are putting on it. Many aftermarket stocks are available which keep the rifle in "sporting" configuration.