PDA

View Full Version : PRICE REDUCED Smith & Wesson K-38 Masterpiece

AZtenX
09-29-2009, 10:00 AM
This is a model 14-3 gun built in 1977. It was special ordered with red ramp front sight and white outline rear sight. Gun is 99% with only a sligh drag line on the cylinder that is not through the blueing. All numbers are matching including grips. Original box included. Great addition for any collection. $825.00 REDUCED TO $795.00
http://imgcash4.imageshack.us/Himg514/scaled.php?server=514&filename=dsc00899n.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=480
http://imgcash3.imageshack.us/Himg87/scaled.php?server=87&filename=dsc00897jv.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=480
http://imgcash2.imageshack.us/Himg527/scaled.php?server=527&filename=dsc00906u.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=480
http://imgcash2.imageshack.us/Himg4/scaled.php?server=4&filename=dsc00849os.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=480
http://imgcash2.imageshack.us/Himg87/scaled.php?server=87&filename=k38boxlabelend.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=480
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/9356/k38grips.th.jpg (http://img35.imageshack.us/i/k38grips.jpg/)

BigDogatPlay
09-29-2009, 10:04 AM
What a beauty.

Of course, if this is not already in California it's LEO only or it would have to be made into a single action only.

Which makes it what a shame for me. :)

Oldnoob
09-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Beautiful. Love the real classic smith.

vta
09-29-2009, 10:45 AM
what about turning revolvers into single shots for importing purposes?

Spdjunkie
09-29-2009, 10:51 AM
just........WOW !!!! :drool5:

Gryff
09-29-2009, 1:35 PM
Why does the title say that it's a K-38 Masterpiece?

coop44
09-29-2009, 1:45 PM
Why does the title say that it's a K-38 Masterpiece?

actually model 14 K38 MASTERPIECE, because thats what it is. read the box!
I used to plink at a pie tin @75 yards with one ( had to aim over the top) hit it every time. Outstanding pistols. I think model 14 s&w is still on the ROSTER!

coop44
09-29-2009, 1:51 PM
Actually the model14-8 is(on the roster), no inherent difference between the two, does the dash# really make a difference? I don't recall exactly maybe some other member knows for sure.

BigDogatPlay
09-29-2009, 2:37 PM
The roster uses the dash numbers, so any 14 that isn't a -8 wouldn't be considered on roster.

Still that's a beautiful Smith... I keep coming back to the thread to look at the photos again. :D

coop44
09-29-2009, 3:58 PM
damn too bad, time to go to harbor freight for some # stamps, I've been here a few times too, had mine stolen years ago and still miss it. Hmmm, -3 into a -8 shouldn't be that hard.

AZtenX
10-02-2009, 9:21 AM
Actually the model14-8 is(on the roster), no inherent difference between the two, does the dash# really make a difference? I don't recall exactly maybe some other member knows for sure. I belive that the 14-8 is on the roster because it has the side plate lawyer lock.

BigDogatPlay
10-02-2009, 9:24 AM
So is this gun in California?

AZtenX
10-05-2009, 10:05 PM
So is this gun in California?

Nope - Arizona

bwiese
10-05-2009, 10:36 PM
AZtenX -

Nobody here can buy that gun (unless it is single-action, and I in fact own and soon will sell a 14-3 factory single-action) as it is not Rostered in CA.

IrishPirate
10-05-2009, 10:39 PM
What a beauty.

Of course, if this is not already in California it's LEO only or it would have to be made into a single action only.

Which makes it what a shame for me. :)

what do you mean about already in CA? it's PPT so it doesn't need to be drop tested

IrishPirate
10-05-2009, 10:40 PM
AZtenX -

Nobody here can buy that gun (unless it is single-action, and I in fact own and soon will sell a 14-3 factory single-action) as it is not Rostered in CA.

do people seriously not know that private party transactions are exempt from drop test requirements? this is legal in CA!!!!

joe_lafrieda
10-06-2009, 5:16 AM
what do you mean about already in CA? it's PPT so it doesn't need to be drop tested

....and:

do people seriously not know that private party transactions are exempt from drop test requirements? this is legal in CA!!!!

The only way this could be legally sold in Cali via a PPT would be if the seller has an official Cali ID such as a CDL or CA ID card, or if the buyer is an LEO.

liketoshoot
10-06-2009, 5:35 AM
In other words, if the owner and gun are not California residents already only LEO can buy it.

unless it is single action.

IrishPirate
10-10-2009, 5:09 PM
....and:

The only way this could be legally sold in Cali via a PPT would be if the seller has an official Cali ID such as a CDL or CA ID card, or if the buyer is an LEO.

really...where did you find that info? i've looked all over the web and even called the DOJ and they never mentioned anything about the seller having to posses a CA ID.

nn3453
10-10-2009, 5:48 PM
really...where did you find that info? i've looked all over the web and even called the DOJ and they never mentioned anything about the seller having to posses a CA ID.

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

"Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. "

A transaction between the residents of two different states where the buyer is a CA resident and the seller is not constitutes importing into California.

BigDogatPlay
10-11-2009, 12:10 AM

Not when the gun is in Arizona........

mzimmers
10-11-2009, 7:54 AM
This thread does raise an interesting question...can you remove the double-action sear and therefore legally sell the gun via an FFL?

IrishPirate
10-11-2009, 5:39 PM
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

"Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. "

A transaction between the residents of two different states where the buyer is a CA resident and the seller is not constitutes importing into California.

you forgot to put in the rest of that requirement, here's the whole thing:
"Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement. got this from http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/, which is a link on calguns.net homepage.

if it's a private party transfer it's exempt...it's that simple. If the gun was brand new, owned by a store, not being sold PPT but FFL to PP, THEN it's importing into the state.

mzimmers
10-11-2009, 5:56 PM
And, to my point...certain single-action revolvers are exempt as well. If I remember correctly, the "certain" conditions have to do with dimensions (barrel length, overall length).

So again, if anyone can shed some light on this, I for one would be grateful.

bountyhunter
10-11-2009, 8:55 PM
you forgot to put in the rest of that requirement, here's the whole thing:
"Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement. got this from http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/, which is a link on calguns.net homepage.

if it's a private party transfer it's exempt...it's that simple. If the gun was brand new, owned by a store, not being sold PPT but FFL to PP, THEN it's importing into the state. A non-list gun can NOT be imported into the state for sale unless ordered by an LE. If you don't believe me, ask any FFL. They won't do the transaction.

PPT's apply ONLY to sales in state applied to guns legally here when both buyer and seller are present at the FFL who transfers title. PPT sales can not be done by mail even within the state on guns legally here, they are face-to-face transactions at an FFL who does the paperwork.

An old K-38 can not be legally imported for sale except for an LE exemption.

bwiese
10-11-2009, 9:19 PM
IrishPirate,

You are both right and wrong.

The DOJ is and has been asserting nonexistent law with their PPT system implementation. Even though not codified in law, PPTs must be done between folks with CA ID.

Otherwise, with residents of different states - even though both are present in CA - the transaction is not considered by DOJ as a PPT and just as a regular FFL transfer. Thus this requires the handgun in question to be Rostered or exempt (single-action, single-shot) - or the receiving party/transaction to be exempt from Roster (LEO, inheritance/probate, specific lineal intrafamily xfer, etc.)

We'd attack this issue on its own, but we're taking down the Roster anyway with the CGF+SAF "Roster suit" (Peņa v. Cid) so there's no need to waste focus on this aspect.

As such, the seller/OP's sale of this gun cannot be consummated to a Californian other than his grandparent/parent/child/grandchild, or an LEO - unless the seller/OP acquired CA ID.

Luv44mag
10-11-2009, 10:10 PM
An old K-38 can not be legally imported for sale except for an LE exemption. maybe.............

If it is a pre 14 K-38 over 50 years old then it could be imported as a C&R.
Also if it is one of the single action only model 14 the it is exempt from the list and can be imported.

IrishPirate
10-12-2009, 11:45 AM
A non-list gun can NOT be imported into the state for sale unless ordered by an LE. If you don't believe me, ask any FFL. They won't do the transaction.

PPT's apply ONLY to sales in state applied to guns legally here when both buyer and seller are present at the FFL who transfers title. PPT sales can not be done by mail even within the state on guns legally here, they are face-to-face transactions at an FFL who does the paperwork.

An old K-38 can not be legally imported for sale except for an LE exemption.

so explain to me how people buy guns by PPT on gunbroker.com then???

mzimmers
10-12-2009, 11:52 AM

CA is the only state (I think; at most they're one of a few) with their own testing criteria for handguns, and their own list of approvals.
People in CA can buy guns that are on this list from gunbroker.
There is an exemption to the CA drop test (the main criterion for #1 above) for single-action revolvers.
The list also doesn't apply to long guns (yet).

That's how people buy on gunbroker.

And, I'm still waiting for someone to tell me whether converting a gun to single-action only would be a legal bypass for all of this...

bwiese
10-12-2009, 1:27 PM

They don't. Those are not PPTs, period.

Current operation of a PPT is face-to-face at an FFL, or the gun is consigned by selling party at FFL.

If you want a handgun on GunBroker, AuctionArms, etc. it has to be Rostered (or exempt single action/single-shot per 12133PC). The FFL acquires it as normal inventory and you then DROS/4473 it. Whether or not you paid the guy directly for the gun or paid thru your FFL is irrelevant. Also, since this is not a PPT, the FFL can charge you whatever transfer fee he wants and it's not limited to $35.

[If you know of people ordering and transferring non-Rostered nonexempt handguns thru a CA FFL, we'd like to have our lawyers contact them. They may need legal help, and it could be affected/affect the Roster case.]

bwiese
10-12-2009, 1:37 PM
And, I'm still waiting for someone to tell me whether converting a gun
to single-action only would be a legal bypass for all of this...

If you can wade thru search, I've written several items/threads on this subject in past years.

Yes, it's legal - as long as:

(1.) if gun's outside CA, the conversion is done outside CA before gun
enters CA or is accepted by FFL; this avoids some problematic language
in 12125PC about 'importation'.

(2.) the gun is dimensionally compliant per 12133PC (all of the following:
3+" bbl, 5+ shot, 7.5" overall min length - so thus rules out belly guns,
Model 60s, J frames, etc.)

S&W wheelguns can generally be converted to SA status by removing DA sear. This does not appear to be applicable to Colt or Ruger lockworks, unless someone verified otherwise.

You can screw up a nice gun if a sloppy job is done with crap tools, so it may be worth it for the guy on the other side to have a gunsmith do it and not mangle the screw heads or sideplates with screwdriver marks.

It is lawful to modfy a gun into any other legal status (non-AW, non-unconventional pistol, must have rifled bbl, etc.) so (re)converting from SA revolver to DA revolver status after picking up gun after DROS/10 day wait is of course entirely legal - just like converting your 45 to 10mm, putting a long slide upper on your Glock, etc.

This Roster-exemption path has been legally tested before with the equivalent-priority single-shot exemption, as used to acquire AR/AK pistols (i.e., tested in that tons of them are being sold under eye of DOJ at gunshops and gunshows.) Calgunner Oaklander, a lawyer, had some drama that went away after they found out he was a lawyer, and an NRA lawyer had discussions with the DOJ about the single-shot exemption which was grudgingly acknowledged. Once these single-shot AR/AK pistols are in their owners' hands after DROS, they can be converted to non-AW form (fixed 10rd mag semiauto).

ohioshooter
11-06-2009, 6:47 AM
About converting double action to single action....K38 pre 14 5 screw.

I need some advice...

I have been offered two nice guns....can afford both... $800 each

One is a blued single action bullseye gun about 96% has wide rib, target trigger and hammer but not original grips....made in 1948...well used but very well looked after.

The other is a mint 1953 nickel...yes its real...looks like new...matched serial number grips

But it also has wide rail, but std trigger and hammer and is double action

I shoot bullseye.......I was thinking about the nickel gun,,,fitting target trigger and hammer........and making it single action.

I would keep the original parts so it could be returned to its original state.

What would you do...no I cant have both..

joe_lafrieda
11-06-2009, 12:29 PM

I need some advice...

I'd go with the blue one.

**But**

Are you not located in Cali? If so, those prices are almost double the going rate for K-38's in the USA. Even here in Cali, they're al least a couple hundred dollars too high, IMHO.

belladonna
11-06-2009, 2:34 PM
That's why CalGuns was formed...to keep California guns in California...that same gun alread in California brings a premium...just because you can't bring it in from out of state :mad: It really sucks the big one ...for example you could find a cherry S&W Mod 19 with pinned barrel and recessed cyl. out of state for say three hundred dollars, here it would bring close to Seven or Eight depending on condition ...thats just my two cents...but that is a really "Nice Smith you have there"