PDA

View Full Version : My 1st build. lower

Low-Pressure
09-29-2009, 1:45 AM
This site is awesome, helped me through the planning and assembly of my 1st build. Parts are: S&W M&P 15 lower, Rock Rivers lpk, Magpul CTR stock, Magpul Trigger Guard and a Bullet Button. Most parts were purchased from Riflegear.com (great customer service!! walk in). The S&W lower was purchased from Ammo Bros.
I wished I knew about Riflegear when I bought my lower, I could have saved money. Still debating if i should get a second lower for a future build. :D
Putting the parts was pretty straight forward, took about 30 minutes to finish the complete lower assembly.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/lowpressure/PICT0169-1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/lowpressure/PICT0170.jpg
now its time to save up money for a complete upper from Stag (2HTL).

Richie Caketown
09-29-2009, 1:53 AM
I have the exact same setup lol . The finish on those M&P lowers is amazing and the CTR feels way better than the standard cheesy stock. As far as your upper goes just get a regular Stag 2H . I shoot lefty myself and have no problems with brass ejection. Also as cool as the Stag/ Samson rail might be it made my rifle a bit front heavy . I would save the money and invest in a DD rail :)

p.s get a magpul MIAD grip , it feels way more sturdy than the stocker

gun toting monkeyboy
09-29-2009, 7:26 AM
Great job, with some good parts. As for getting another lower, don't worry, you have Black Rifle Disease now. Additional lowers (and uppers) will mysteriously appear in your house. And your pocketbook will develop a form of chronic wasting disease. Your best hope it to try to control it and only let the symptoms manifest themselves slowly. Finish this build with a good upper first. That will help take the edge off. Trust me, I know.

-Mb

shark92651
09-29-2009, 7:36 AM
Looks great. You may want to come in and hold a MOE pistol grip. If it is the right size for your hand, it is a bit cheaper than the MIAD and will go great with your stock.

Flying Bones
09-29-2009, 7:48 AM
Looks great. You may want to come in and hold a MOE pistol grip. If it is the right size for your hand, it is a bit cheaper than the MIAD and will go great with your stock.

+1.
You'll really like the MOE or the MIAD and it will finish that lower off perfectly. Congrats on your build, keep up the good work! It's good to see you did some homework before you bought!

Low-Pressure
09-29-2009, 5:28 PM
I have the exact same setup lol . The finish on those M&P lowers is amazing and the CTR feels way better than the standard cheesy stock. As far as your upper goes just get a regular Stag 2H . I shoot lefty myself and have no problems with brass ejection. Also as cool as the Stag/ Samson rail might be it made my rifle a bit front heavy . I would save the money and invest in a DD rail :)

p.s get a magpul MIAD grip , it feels way more sturdy than the stocker

thanks for the advise, i've been checking out the local stores to see if they have the 2HT and be able to hold it and see how I like the feel. If not I might just go to a totally different upper.

tomd1584
09-29-2009, 5:32 PM
good looking build. I agree with Richie, i am left handed and have no problems either. I think you'll be fine with a standard upper, plus I would think the resale would be easier if you decide to sell it later on.

-Tom

Low-Pressure
09-29-2009, 5:35 PM
Great job, with some good parts. As for getting another lower, don't worry, you have Black Rifle Disease now. Additional lowers (and uppers) will mysteriously appear in your house. And your pocketbook will develop a form of chronic wasting disease. Your best hope it to try to control it and only let the symptoms manifest themselves slowly. Finish this build with a good upper first. That will help take the edge off. Trust me, I know.

-Mb

I think you are right, I do have the Black Rifle Disease, been on Calguns.net and AR15.com too much lol. Trying to save some pennies for the upper, but I keep on thinking that Riflegear.com has the Stag lower for sale still keeps me debating if I should. I know i need to finish this soon, this will be my 1st real rifle. The others that I have are, a Calico 22lr that has been shipped out of state for being illegal in Ca and a Remington 870.
I think I might have just spread the disease too, coz a couple of my friends are debating about building their own Ar's too.

Low-Pressure
09-29-2009, 5:37 PM

When its time to buy the upper I will for surely check out your MOE and MAID, I'm hoping they're not too fat, I like the single stack feel on my handgun.

Greg-Dawg
09-29-2009, 5:40 PM
Get your upper NOW!!!

Low-Pressure
09-29-2009, 5:41 PM
+1.
You'll really like the MOE or the MIAD and it will finish that lower off perfectly. Congrats on your build, keep up the good work! It's good to see you did some homework before you bought!

Thanks, I always try to educate my self and ask questions before jumping into anything. But sometimes you run into the wrong sale person and that kills the excitement. This sites offers great information, especially for newbies like me.

Low-Pressure
09-29-2009, 5:44 PM
good looking build. I agree with Richie, i am left handed and have no problems either. I think you'll be fine with a standard upper, plus I would think the resale would be easier if you decide to sell it later on.

-Tom
Thanks, i think i need to shoot my friends AR and see how it feels. Not so worried about the resale ( i hope) :)

Low-Pressure
09-29-2009, 5:45 PM
Get your upper NOW!!!

lol, gotta save up some pennies for now, while I'm still debating on a righty or lefty. And if I do go righty... which one....

Greg-Dawg
09-29-2009, 6:18 PM
lol, gotta save up some pennies for now, while I'm still debating on a righty or lefty. And if I do go righty... which one....

BCM, you can't go wrong with a quality upper for $475 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M4-16-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-m4-16.htm).

osis32
09-29-2009, 6:23 PM
stags got a pretty good wait going on right now. I did a group buy in late april and I have another two weeks to wait supposedly until it gets here. if youre willing to tolerate the wait its cool I guess but from what I understand if you can find something like a BCM in stock youre better off. also if you go that route you can get any rail you want.

bruceflinch
09-29-2009, 6:45 PM
NICE!

mayguns.com had some RRA uppers on sale. I just got a flattop delivered yesterday. I will devirginize it Thursday!!

West coast
09-29-2009, 7:38 PM
Nice start, get the upper next.

xbolt338
09-30-2009, 6:42 AM
when you get the upper, share those pics!!

Low-Pressure
09-30-2009, 7:44 PM
BCM, you can't go wrong with a quality upper for $475 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M4-16-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-m4-16.htm).

Is that a complete upper? thanks

Low-Pressure
09-30-2009, 7:45 PM
stags got a pretty good wait going on right now. I did a group buy in late april and I have another two weeks to wait supposedly until it gets here. if youre willing to tolerate the wait its cool I guess but from what I understand if you can find something like a BCM in stock youre better off. also if you go that route you can get any rail you want.

I'm in no hurry, still got a lot of saving to do....... I keep on hearing about BCM, will that run more if it was a complete upper?

Low-Pressure
09-30-2009, 7:47 PM
thanks everyone for the advise, I am at the moment doing some research about the uppers, and hopefully by the time I've saved up all the pennies i need, all I need to do is order, install and shoot....

sspen003
09-30-2009, 7:50 PM
I am thinking STAG for the money, I couldnt get one so I got DPMS... never looked back.

Shoots anything I give it and have never had a problem with it.

They are inexpensive too, but not cheap or unreliable