PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use Spikes 9mm magwell or CMMG dedicated 9mm lower?

supermario
09-29-2009, 1:18 AM
Hey, i was just wondering if anybody out there has used the
Spikes Tactical enhanced 9mm magwell or the new CMMG dedicated 9mm lower. I am trying to decide which way to go with a 9mm build.

NSR500
09-29-2009, 2:02 AM
The most solid platform will be the dedicated 9mm lower, but you will not have the flexibility to convert to another non-pistol caliber.
Spikes has good product support so if you go with them, you should be good to go. Just double check that the block is not a CProducts block OEM'd for Spikes. The CPoducts 9mm blocks seem to have a bad history thus far.

CHS
09-29-2009, 9:00 AM
I JUST finished my 9mm build using a CMMG dedicated lower.

What do you want to know about it? I love it, it rocks.

tomd1584
09-29-2009, 9:24 AM

what magazines feed the most reliably?

CHS
09-29-2009, 9:52 AM
what magazines feed the most reliably?

I haven't actually put any rounds through it, but based on what CMMG recommends and what I've been reading on ARFCOM, the C Products magazines have a couple deficiencies. They don't actuate the bolt-catch very reliably without some follower modifications, and the mag-catch notch appears to be machined a tiny bit too low in the mag body.

The mags go into the lowers just fine, and lock up nice and tight, but they don't always trip the bolt catch.

Metalform mags are apparently the way to go, but they are $45/each and only available as 32rd'ers. I'm gonna pick some up and block them to 10 and see what they're like.

In the meantime I've got a few 10rd C Products that I'll use. I just might not have a BHO feature :)

CHS
09-29-2009, 9:53 AM
BTW, the lower itself is awesome. I love it. Already comes with the 9mm-specific parts installed (feed ramp, bolt catch/buffer/spring, ejector) and has a nicely flared 9mm magazine-well.

I also lucked out and got Serial number 500.. I like nice even numbers :)

supermario
09-29-2009, 8:13 PM
Well i got my CMMG upper now, just gotta get a lower. On spikes website, they can build a complete pistol lower with shipping for about $400 and that included, lpk, their buffer assembly, foam over buffer, their custom magblock and 9mm buffer. I think it has a staked plate too. I really like the idea of having a dedicated 9mm lower though. If i want another caliber, i will just buy another..

supermario
09-29-2009, 8:14 PM
BTW, the lower itself is awesome. I love it. Already comes with the 9mm-specific parts installed (feed ramp, bolt catch/buffer/spring, ejector) and has a nicely flared 9mm magazine-well.

I also lucked out and got Serial number 500.. I like nice even numbers :)

When are you gonna test your 9mm AR and is it a rifle? What type of upper do you have.. Any pics.. :D

CHS
09-29-2009, 8:25 PM
When are you gonna test your 9mm AR and is it a rifle? What type of upper do you have.. Any pics.. :D

Haven't fired it yet.

I'm planning on ripping off the handguards and front sight and going with a DD rail system and LMT iron's front and rear.

Right now I don't have a rear sight or optics for it, so I haven't bothered test-firing it.

I'll put some rounds down hopefully next week and get some pictures up as soon as possible.

It's a rifle. I don't see the point of building an AR pistol in a puny round like the 9mm. It would be 5 times the size and weight of my 1911 with less power. But 9mm zips real nice out of a 16" rifle barrel :)

Mr10
09-29-2009, 8:27 PM

pics?????:gunsmilie::gunsmilie:

CHS
10-01-2009, 12:24 PM
pics?????:gunsmilie::gunsmilie:

DONE!

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m446/bdsmchs/CHS9mmAR.jpg

Mr10
10-01-2009, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=bdsmchs;3142814]DONE!

[IMG]

sick!!!! I want one!!!

what kind of mag is that?modded uzi? What can you get those anyways? Thank in advance for answerin the questions. :)

CHS
10-01-2009, 1:54 PM
what kind of mag is that?modded uzi? What can you get those anyways? Thank in advance for answerin the questions. :)

It's a C Products 32rd Stainless Steel 9mm AR mag. 44mag.com has them and will do rebuild kits for them.

I did a custom block in there to convert it to a 10/32.