PDA

View Full Version : Mini 14 with 16in barrel

JohnZ
09-29-2009, 1:02 AM
Has anyone had any experience with the 16 in. barrel version of the mini 14. As a side question I have heard that a shorter barrel can help with accuracy because of the harmonics. Is this the case with the mini 14. Thanks

tomd1584
09-29-2009, 8:38 AM
I have an NRA edition with the hogue stock and 16" barrel. I usually only shoot it at steel plates though. Its a good, fun gun.

reidnez
09-29-2009, 9:21 AM
Has anyone had any experience with the 16 in. barrel version of the mini 14. As a side question I have heard that a shorter barrel can help with accuracy because of the harmonics. Is this the case with the mini 14. Thanks

If your primary concern is accuracy, then a Mini isn't what you're looking for. That is not at all a criticism of the gun; it is a utility rifle, designed with plinking and pest control in mind, and it is as accurate as it needs to be for those purposes.

That said, I think too much is made of accuracy in utility/combat rifles. Most of the time, the shooter's skill is going to be the limiting factor, not the weapon--and I include myself there. Just as buying a superbike does not enable you to ride like Nicki Hayden, buying an accurate rifle does not make you a great shooter.

So, with all that in mind, I would probably go with the 16" barrel. You don't lose much at all in terms of terminal ballistics, at the moderate ranges that you're likely to shoot with a Mini. And you gain a quicker-handling carbine.

Nate74
09-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Most of the time, the shooter's skill is going to be the limiting factor, not the weapon.

Totally true, but I didn't know we were allowed to say it out loud:D

K1LLROI
09-29-2009, 10:32 AM
+1 for the Mini 14NRA

Beautiful rifle.

Yes the 16" are better.

They are a rugged, reliable weapon.

& you don't have to baby them.