PDA

View Full Version : im a new bee

ns209
09-28-2009, 11:24 PM
ok i want to buy a M&P 15 moe upper to match my lower, but i see on the internet that people are saying that i might have to re-stake the bcg, what are they talking about and if is it true how will i find out if i need to do it, and how do i do it.

Arteel
09-28-2009, 11:27 PM
You will find TONS of info on this subject if you do a search.

freonr22
09-28-2009, 11:28 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=184603&highlight=staking

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=191608&highlight=staking

ns209
09-28-2009, 11:46 PM
so let me get this strait, re-staking is to make sure the bolts dont lossen

freonr22
09-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Yes
Some mfg's do not stake, I am unclear in your case

ns209
09-28-2009, 11:49 PM
ok thanks guys calguns rocks!!!!!!! looks like im buying an upper

rabagley
09-29-2009, 12:06 AM
You can do a cheap staking job with a hammer, punch, and a vise.

Or you can buy a dedicated staking tool (this is the one (http://www.m-guns.com/tool_new.php?product=pmoacks), this will do too (http://www.m-guns.com/tool_new.php?product=moacks)) and do it right.

Or you can go to a gunsmith and pay a little for him to use the right staking tool (if he doesn't pull out a MOACKS, go somewhere else).

gun toting monkeyboy
09-29-2009, 7:33 AM
Or you can do what several of the manufacturers do, and simply torque it down the proper ammount and use locktite. Or you can not worry about it at all, and simply keep an eye on it as part of your regular maintainence and cleaning routine. Do whichever floats your boat. I have several BCGs that came staked. As well as some that did not. And one M16 bolt that I built myself, and didn't even know what staking was at the time. None of them have shown any signs of coming loose with use yet.

-Mb

reidnez
09-29-2009, 9:32 AM
Or you can do what several of the manufacturers do, and simply torque it down the proper ammount and use locktite. Or you can not worry about it at all, and simply keep an eye on it as part of your regular maintainence and cleaning routine. Do whichever floats your boat. I have several BCGs that came staked. As well as some that did not. And one M16 bolt that I built myself, and didn't even know what staking was at the time. None of them have shown any signs of coming loose with use yet.

-Mb

What he said. While it's not a bad idea to properly stake your BCG, I really think a bit too much hoopla is made of the whole thing. We have some shooters thinking that just because there isn't a clear, deep groove through their gas key bolts like they saw on a Colt BCG, their upper is just going to fly apart one day. :eek:

It's one more little detail that the top-tier manufacturers use to justify their prices. You have to decide whether it's worth it or not.

For a range toy or hunting rifle, it's not that big of a deal. Do it if you feel like it. For a duty weapon, it's probably a reasonable precaution to take.

bondmid003
09-29-2009, 9:41 AM
ns209,
If i were you I'd keep in mind the availabilty of S&W Uppers. Some of their upper receivers are pretty hard to find. I spent awhile trying to find the M&P 15T upper to no avail (unless I wanted to pay a hefty premium)

Barney Gumble
09-29-2009, 9:50 AM
Any 5.56 upper will work fine on any 5.56-compatible lower. There's no reason to get wrapped up in "matching" your lower. M&P uppers are good uppers though if that's the way you want to go. Colt, LMT and BCM are also top of the line.

As reidnez said, gas key staking is way down on the list of things to be worried about unless you're going into combat.

ns209
09-29-2009, 11:02 AM
ok thanks guys i guess ill just keep an eye on it, since im not in combat just a couple of rounds here and their.

818gtiguy
09-29-2009, 11:45 AM
ok thanks guys i guess ill just keep an eye on it, since im not in combat just a couple of rounds here and their.

Just stake the dang thing and you will NEVER have to worry about it...