PDA

View Full Version : Will imperfect crown affect accuracy?

tpirman
09-28-2009, 6:53 PM
I got my barrel cut recently and noticed the crown job is not perfect. I am going to take it back to get it fixed, but I wanted to go shooting on Friday. My question is whether or not the not-so-perfect crown job will affect accuracy noticeably? See pics for reference. You might not be able to tell from the pics, but the indented part is not the same width all the way around.

Thanks for any info!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff121/tpirman/IMG_3393.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff121/tpirman/IMG_3394.jpg

evollep3
09-28-2009, 6:56 PM
that sucks to be honest i dont know if a off set crown will throw off your shots but i would like to know

swerv512
09-28-2009, 7:12 PM
totally unprofessional job. i'd take it back. accuarcy will probably be the same so long as there is uniformity where the bullet leaves the barrel, but it just doesnt look right.

Beelzy
09-28-2009, 7:20 PM
Crown issues would be the case if the bore has any dinks at the crown.

You just have an ugly off center turn job. It won't hurt accuracy.

rkt88edmo
09-28-2009, 7:29 PM
as long as it is flat and even (which it appears to be from the pics) it should shoot fine, just fugly.

tpirman
09-28-2009, 7:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, that is good to know. I am definitely going to get it fixed, but as long as it doesn't ruin my shoot then I can deal with it.

Mikeb
09-28-2009, 8:04 PM
Could be that the bore is a bit off axis... it happens no big deal. But his turning seems concentric to the bore just not to the od of the barrel.
shoot it
Mike

sevensix2x51
09-28-2009, 8:07 PM
Could be that the bore is a bit off axis... it happens no big deal. But his turning seems concentric to the bore just not to the od of the barrel.
shoot it
Mike

it looks offcenter of both bore and barrel to me, but i would leave it if it didnt affect accuracy. gives the lil' feller character!

Phil3
09-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Whose barrel is this? The bore is not centered from the pic? - Phil

rabagley
09-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Yup, not centered. You're going to get shot stringing as the barrel heats.

KAVEMAN762
09-29-2009, 12:20 AM
The bore looks centered compared to the OD, check with a caliper or a ruler. It just looks like the machining of the crown is off center. Could of been chucked up wrong in the lathe, or they couldnt get it perfectly centered in the lathe because of different diameters of the barrel itself......just what I think though.......

rksimple
09-29-2009, 7:19 AM
It may affect accuracy, it may not. You'd be surprised at the different things you can get away with when fitting/threading/chambering a barrel and still have it shoot lights out. Shoot it and see.

tpirman
09-29-2009, 8:03 AM
Ok, so I just checked how centered the bore is compared to the Outer Diameter of the barrel. It's perfect, I checked with a caliper. So the crown is off center which is easier to tell in person, harder to tell from a picture. Seems there is a little debate on whether it will affect accuracy, but everyone seems to agree that I should just "shoot it" which I am just fine with :)

Hoop
09-29-2009, 8:18 AM
I'd be surprised if that effected accuracy. The only time I've seen them hurt the rifle's accuracy was when the bore was directly damage by the retard who did the crown job.

xrMike
09-29-2009, 9:03 AM
The bore "looks" centered in the blank, but the counter-bore is what looks off to me. Hard to say if that will affect accuracy. Probably not, but you never know.

Is there a very slight bevel on the edge where the actual rifle bore meets the front outside edge of the barrel/counter-bore? If so, how does that bevel look? It should be exactly the same width all the way around, with absolutely no nicks or anything.

If the bevel looks perfect, I'd be less worried about the counter-bore being off center. But since the c-bore is off center, that right there would make me want to examine everything on that barrel very carefully, especially the bevel, where the bullet exits...

aplinker
09-29-2009, 6:31 PM
That's not the crown. That's the "recessing."

I would just shoot it. Shoddy work, though.

Seesm
09-29-2009, 7:03 PM
I would need to measure it and see why it is that way...
Could be a few different reasons

tpirman
09-29-2009, 9:21 PM
Seesm, if I were closer to you I would absolutely have you look at it.

I stand corrected, it's not the crowning, it's the recess. That makes a whole lot of sense. Learn something new everyday.