PDA

View Full Version : Bound Book, Out of Sequence Entry

eltee
09-28-2009, 5:36 PM
If an FFL had an item in inventory not put into the bound book before other entries were made but added it in the book out of sequence does it create a problem? :(

kemasa
09-28-2009, 5:42 PM
There are certain times periods which must be maintained. If you did not do that and the bound book shows that, you could have a problem. I was told by the BATF that you have 7 days to enter a firearm IF you have a invoice with all the information on it.

If the date is out of order, I suspect that the BATF or DOJ might have an issue with it and want to know why.

tenpercentfirearms
09-28-2009, 7:51 PM
If an FFL had an item in inventory not put into the bound book before other entries were made but added it in the book out of sequence does it create a problem? :(
That is why it is nice to use a spread sheet. You can just go back and reprint and keep the dates in line.

In the end, if that isn't an option, just tell the truth. If the dates are out of order, tell them you forgot to log a gun in and when you discovered it, you added it in. What else can you do? Errors happen and my understanding is if you correct them before they do, they don't mind that so much. It is when they get to the shop and find them that they have the issues.

eltee
09-29-2009, 9:18 PM
5 Win '94s a one time, one got overlooked.

freakshow10mm
09-29-2009, 10:13 PM
my understanding is if you correct them before they do, they don't mind that so much. It is when they get to the shop and find them that they have the issues.
Exactly what my ATF guy said. Think of the ATF as your parents. Lie to them or try to cover something up they will unleash a world of pain. Be up front and honest, they will usually cut you some slack. If it's a habit, they turn into the JBTs.

By federal law a firearm must be logged into inventory by the close of the next business day. The ATF guy said generally it's not too big of a deal if it takes an extra day due to sickness, etc but don't abuse the leeway they give us. Seems fair. They seem understanding at a local level here.

Didn't know I had to have a form to exempt myself from paying FET on ammunition I make for local LE. I thought they were exempt. Well, turns out they are excepted, not exempted. Exempted is the DoD including the Coast Guard. Exception to tax is local and state LE. DoD doesn't require a form, local/state LE agencies do. Could have had huge penalties and they could have hit me with 11% FET on the sales. Instead they gave me a verbal explanation and written 30 day deadline to get the proper forms filled out and returned by the agencies I sold ammunition to. I contacted the agencies, told them what was up, they filled out the forms on the spot, forwarded to the Tax and Trade Bureau and all is good. Whew!

customizedcreationz
10-07-2009, 4:45 AM
I could have sworn my agent told me 10 days to log into the book. I ll have to take a look at my paper work and see what it says.

freakshow10mm
10-07-2009, 7:30 AM
I've never heard 10 days. I've only been told close of next business day for both acquisition and disposition. My ATF people were out of Grand Rapids.

kemasa
10-07-2009, 11:01 AM
I was told that generally it is 24 hrs, but that if you have an invoice with all the information on it, you can delay entering it for 7 days. This came up in regards to some rifles which were shipped to me without the required CA DOJ letter. If you don't get the letter, you have to send them back. The CA DOJ said that if I entered them into my bound book, then I would have a problem (which I believe to be false since even if I sent them back, I would have to record them). I was trying to figure out how long I had until I had a problem. As it turned out, I got the required number, so everything was ok.