PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to switch bolts in a bolt action rifle?

swerv512
09-28-2009, 4:16 PM
like the question says...
i'm sending the original bolt out for some work on my remington 700. it is okay to use a bolt from a different remington 700 (same caliber of course) in my rifle until the work on the original bolt is complete? they both have close to the same number of rounds down the tube- not much wear on either bolt/lugs...
what should my concerns be if any?
will they headspace the same? how can i tell?

meltyman
09-28-2009, 4:31 PM
Have a gunsmith check the headspace just to be sure. They usually will do this for free.

gun toting monkeyboy
09-28-2009, 4:36 PM
If the headspace is good, then it is not a problem. It is usually best to have this checked by a gunsmith if you don't have the gauges or know-how.

-Mb

swerv512
09-28-2009, 4:44 PM
i dont have a set of go-no go gauges if that's what you're referring to. i guess i could always take some brass and resize in small increments until it becomes difficult to close the bolt (assuming i have brass that actually headspaces that big...)- then check the headspace using my RCBS mics.... that just seems like too much work....:rolleyes:

gun toting monkeyboy
09-28-2009, 4:56 PM
i dont have a set of no-no go gauges if that's what you're referring to. i guess i could always take some brass and resize in small increments until it becomes difficult to close the bolt (assuming i have brass that actually headspaces that big...)- then check the headspace using my RCBS mics.... that just seems like too much work....:rolleyes:

Like I said, just go to the gunsmith. It is too much work otherwise.

NRAhighpowershooter
09-28-2009, 5:42 PM
To the OP:

Where are you located? Caliber of Rem700? If you are close enough I can check your headspace if it is a 308 or 30-06

swerv512
09-28-2009, 5:53 PM
pm sent!

Beelzy
09-29-2009, 7:42 AM
I would NOT do that.

Even if it works, you will wear the bolt differently. If it is a tack driver that
could ruin things.

JMHO

swerv512
09-29-2009, 2:56 PM
^^^
Remington 5R in 308...
not what i'd consider a "tack driver..."
not a bad rifle- but it's still just a factory Remington off the shelf...