PDA

View Full Version : good alternative to an acog ta31

jesse3533
09-28-2009, 1:06 PM
Does anybody know of a good alternative to th acog ta 31? I used one when I was in the marines and I fell in love with this optic! best optic ever in my experiences. But it costs so damn much. I'm sure alot of you out there face the same issue so I'm asking for a good alternative. any suggestions? thanks.:)

djleisure
09-28-2009, 1:17 PM
It depends on how cheap you want to go, but possibly the Millet DSM-1 (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/53649-34.html) would fit the bill for you? It's a pretty nice 1-4x optic.

pacrimguru
09-28-2009, 1:19 PM
i don't think anything can be an alternative for a real ACOG. i say save up and get the real thing, it's worth every penny.

ar15barrels
09-28-2009, 1:29 PM
i don't think anything can be an alternative for a real ACOG. i say save up and get the real thing, it's worth every penny.

This.

xm177
09-28-2009, 1:35 PM
Buy once and buy right. You don't want to cut corners when it comes to your optic. Use your irons until you've saved up for the ACOG.

eviioiive
09-28-2009, 1:43 PM
get a used one..

reidnez
09-28-2009, 2:01 PM
get a used one..

Good advice. You can easily save a couple hundred bucks if you don't mind a piece that has a few scratches on it, which won't affect function one bit.

sspen003
09-28-2009, 2:27 PM
Check eBay often and search the forums often for a good price

Sniper3142
09-28-2009, 2:38 PM

Words of wisdom.

There is really nothing that offers the same durability, performance, and clarity of an ACOG.

BTW, I had a DMS-1 and while it is an okay optic on the cheap, it isn't anywhere near the optical performance or durability of an ACOG. Mine broke after the rifle it was mounted on dropped out of my safe. :(

It will be replaced with something like a Trijicon TR24 or S&B short dot.

jesse3533
09-28-2009, 3:15 PM
thanks everyone for the input, has anybody tried an aimpoint red dot w a magnifier?

djleisure
09-28-2009, 3:21 PM
I've run the T1 Micro w/ 3x magnifier on a LaRue FTS mount and it's a cool way to run, but it won't cost you any less than just buying an ACOG...

sspen003
09-28-2009, 3:45 PM
thanks everyone for the input, has anybody tried an aimpoint red dot w a magnifier?

I have tried one but didnt have a magnifier on it. Felt really awkward, especially because I am used to using an ACOG. I think you will find yourself in the same situation.

An Aimpoint and magnifier will run you close to what you can get a used ACOG for. Maybe more

StevieC
09-28-2009, 4:03 PM
what about one of those chinese knock off Trijicon ACOG TA31's on Ebay with Doctor Red Dot & Kill Flash?

sevensix2x51
09-28-2009, 4:06 PM
what about one of those chinese knock off Trijicon ACOG TA31's on Ebay with Doctor Red Dot & Kill Flash?
those are perfect for bb guns.

StevieC
09-28-2009, 4:08 PM
those are perfect for bb guns.

you got one?

sevensix2x51
09-28-2009, 4:11 PM
you got one?

i dont have picatinny rails on my red ryder, or i would.

sspen003
09-28-2009, 4:17 PM

No No No... trust man you dont want those. All they do is look like an ACOG. They are meant for airsoft guns. Get something you can be proud of and that will last you a life time.

StevieC
09-28-2009, 4:19 PM
I'm actually reading decent reviews on them at AR15.com and some other places

for a 150 bucks, tides you over til you got 1400 to drop on the real deal

sevensix2x51
09-28-2009, 4:23 PM
I'm actually reading decent reviews on them at AR15.com and some other places

for a 150 bucks, tides you over til you got 1400 to drop on the real deal

i was just messing with you, a bit of lighthearted fun. :D

but in all seriousness, i have been working on proficiency with iron sights for almost 20 years, and im still a rookie compared to a lot of shooters. every day on irons is another day of fundamental skill with a firearm. ill never totally trust an optic.

StevieC
09-28-2009, 4:35 PM
I'm too old for iron sights :(

reidnez
09-28-2009, 4:36 PM

Aimpoints are definitely good-to-go, I run a CompM4 on my carbine and am very happy with it.

That said, it's apples-and-oranges with an ACOG. Very different construction and philosophy of use, so they are (in my view) tough to compare. I really like having adjustable brightness, lightning-fast aquisiton and both-eyes-open shooting. Also, I prefer ubiquitous, cheap and user-replaceable AA batteries, over a tritium insert which is eventually going to burn out and require factory replacement. Yep, I said it: ACOG's biggest selling point is, IMO, actually its weak point. So, for those reasons, I chose the Aimpoint--but that doesn't make it right for everyone.

Of course, the ACOG has the advantage for longer ranges. It really comes down to how you use your rifle, and your individual preference. They are both fine choices and would serve you well.

pacrimguru
09-28-2009, 4:56 PM
i have several types of aimpoints and i absolutely love all them... i have an aimpoint magnifier and had a eotech magnifier as well. they do their job just fine. but the only thing really going for a set up like that is flexible. if you want a dedicated magnified optic, Trijicon ACOG's just are a head above the rest.

like reidnez just wrote, a red dot + magnifier is a totally different animal from an ACOG and besides you wouldn't be saving any money by going with a set up like that anyway.

as a side note, for CQB type stuff, i really like aimpoint's T-1. that thing is the bestest for non-magnified optics.

i haven't tried an Elcan Spectre DR yet though. that might change my mind from what i just said, but what the OP is looking for is something cheaper and the Spectre DR is anything but. just go the eBay route and get an ACOG.

aplinker
09-28-2009, 4:59 PM
Burris AR332 is what everyone's been waiting for as a cheaper-than-ACOG alternative.

It's 3X with AR-specific reticle.

I don't know the consensus, though.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/images/ballistic_cqreticle_dia.jpg\

http://www.burrisoptics.com/images/ar_332.jpg

Flying Bones
09-28-2009, 5:43 PM
you got one?

I have two, with the "doctor" on top.
1. You get what you pay for.
2. It works, most of my friends really like them, for the money, there isn't anything better, unless you can save for long enough to buy the real thing.
The biggest problem is the eye relief isn't what I wish it was.

dchang0
09-28-2009, 5:50 PM

You don't want this. The magnifier increases the size of the dot also, turning a 4MOA red dot into a 12MOA blob with a 3X magnfier. And the additional bulk and weight isn't worth it. Just get a nice compact ACOG--no batteries needed, nice tight little reticles, and super-clear glass.

Buy used--as long as the lenses are good, you'll be fine. The scope itself will get scraped and scratched in your own possession anyway. Somebody's going to get a rockin' discount on my 3X ACOG when I eventually sell it to upgrade to a 4X ACOG for 3-gun competitions.

gat
09-28-2009, 6:39 PM
I love my TA33R-8. I've got a TA31H and I still think I like the TA33 better. Longer eye relief, more peripheral vision, seems easier to use BAC with, and significantly cheaper, probably even cheaper than an aimpoint + magnifier. I'm happy enough with it I might even sell the TA31H.

AM9000
09-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Think of it this way, If you want you can keep it for life and always have a nice optic. If you ever need a quick $800 - you can sell it pretty quick.

Its sort of like an investment. Thats what I tell my lady anyway.

SuperSet
09-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Consider the sleeper optic: Trijicon TR21 1.25-4x variable scope. Since the TR24s are now released, you'll be able to find a smokin deal on these puppies.

leelaw
09-28-2009, 10:59 PM
If an ACOG is too expensive, then the best alternative is a used ACOG. Everything else is going to be a step down.

KAVEMAN762
09-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Check eBay often and search the forums often for a good price

I wouldnt do an ebay one, you might not get a real acog. There are some real ones on there, but hard to find, and its hard to tell....forums are a good place, check out the ones here, ar15.com and on m4carbine.net.....