PDA

View Full Version : Trigger pull

Pistolwhipped
09-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Hey guys I have what I think is a reverse on standard questions about trigger pull.

Why would someone want a heavier trigger pull? What is the reason behind this? I know some people go back and forth over ounces but I heard a few guys at the range say they like their trigger pull around 3-4 pounds.

The reasons for a light trigger pull are obvious. The reasons for a heavy trigger are????? Safety reasons??? Not sure.

Thanks guys,

Mr.Poopypants
09-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Light trigger pull works for competition shooting and long-range targeting. But if you are armed for a reason beyond hobby or sport (security, police, military, etc) and not a sniper or precision shooter, having a hair trigger can do more harm than good.

I'm used to a heavy trigger pull because of my military background. I recently shot someone's Garand with a super light trigger and the first shot happened before I even knew I was pulling on the trigger.

Pistolwhipped
09-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Well we were at the range, Unless your suggesting that because of your training thats just what your used to/ like to shoot with. I guess that can make sense.

I have never shot better with a heavier pull.

ar15barrels
09-28-2009, 1:43 PM
Why would someone want a heavier trigger pull? What is the reason behind this? I know some people go back and forth over ounces but I heard a few guys at the range say they like their trigger pull around 3-4 pounds.

The reasons for a light trigger pull are obvious. The reasons for a heavy trigger are????? Safety reasons???

The body reacts very differently under stress.
One of the first things you lose is fine motor control.
A heavier trigger is a partial solution to this problem.

NRAhighpowershooter
09-28-2009, 4:46 PM
The body reacts very differently under stress.
One of the first things you lose is fine motor control.
A heavier trigger is a partial solution to this problem.

same applies for hunting as well... 3-4 lbs for a deer rifle

aplinker
09-28-2009, 5:05 PM
Along with the user issues with lighter triggers, a light trigger can be on the edge of safety for impact/dropping/smacks/etc, as well.

With a FCG like the AR the hammer spring weight also translates to trigger pull weight, which is a reliability issue.