View Full Version : Help on understanding types of FFL

09-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Hi folks,

I am researching ways to become a licensed importer of ammunition. The FFL needed for this is listed on the ATF's website as type 8:

Type 08 -

IMPORTER OF FIREARMS other than destructive devices
or AMMUNITION FOR FIREARMS other than destructive devices, or ammunition other than armor piercing ammunition.

Will this license allow you to sell the ammunition you import to general public or will you have to only sell it to FFL 01?

Thanks in advance.

09-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Could someone also tell me what the best way to research this topic would be?
Perhaps there is a contact person at the ATF that I could call to ask questions and get answers or perhaps I should be posting these questions in some other sections of this or other forums.


10-05-2009, 5:20 PM
A license to import will not allow you to sell. The best way to get your questions answered is to call the ATF. I have done it many times and always found them to be courteous and professional.

10-05-2009, 5:44 PM
Here's the FFL types:
Type 1 FFL is a Title 1 dealer or gunsmith
Type 2 FFL is a Title 1 dealer doing business as a pawnbroker
Type 3 FFL is a licensed collector of Curio & Relic (C&R) firearms
Type 6 FFL is a licensed maker of ammunition and reloading components other than Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 7 FFL is a Title 1 manufacturer of firearms, ammunition and ammunition components other than NFA, Destructive Devices and Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 8 FFL is an importer of Title 1 firearms and ammunition
Type 9 FFL is a dealer in Title 1 firearms including NFA destructive devices, but no other NFA
Type 10 FFL is a manufacturer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and ammunition components, including NFA Destructive Devices but no other NFA, and not including Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 11 FFL is an importer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and NFA Destructive Devices, but no other NFA

To get a Class 3 SOT status, you need a dealer or manufacturer FFL which includes Type 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 11 - and pay a yearly $500 tax due every July 1st.

To get a Class 2 SOT status, you need a manufacturer FFL, which includes Type 7, 10 - and pay a yearly $1000 or $500 (reduced rate for small manufacturers) tax due every July 1st.

To get a Class 1 SOT status, you need an importer FFL, which includes Type 8, 11- and pay a yearly $1000 or $500 (reduced rate for small importers) tax due every July 1st.

To answer your question, once you import ammunition you are free to sell it as you see fit. 18yo long gun ammo and 21yo handgun ammo.

The ATF issues a license to manufacture ammunition or import ammunition. They do not issue a license to sell ammunition.