PDA

View Full Version : good first-time ak kit?

efnick
09-28-2009, 11:35 AM
hello everyone, im new to the whole ak in cali thing, just to let everyone know. i got my first 7.62x39 rifle, an awsome vz58 sporter. i now have an itch to mess with it, but id rather get a kit and fool around with that. so, on this bored (i was referred here by a friend) i am asking, what is a good, high quality parts kit that i can start out with. i am itching to start my collection of bits for a build and a good parts kit is the most important first step. thanks! -Nick.

tom_92673
09-28-2009, 11:41 AM
:lurk5: This should be fun

efnick
09-28-2009, 11:42 AM
yea well, i have to start my gun education somewhere. cant wait for some creative responses!

Fantasma
09-28-2009, 11:46 AM
The cheapest AK kit you can find will probably be the best option.

PM me for an AK kit.

tom_92673
09-28-2009, 11:48 AM
I'll start with some basics. You cannot buy pre ban AK Magazines in California. You can only buy repair parts for ones that you owned prior to the ban. I've personally never bought any repair kits, so I don't know where to direct you. AK-builder.com is a good site for parts, but so are CWS and most of the other sponsors here. If you click the sponsors link you'll find a number of shops that supply AK related parts and accessories. I don't know too much about the VZ's, so I couldn't help you there, but I built a Romy and a Yugo from parts kits with dros'd receivers. After building them, the only thing I've done is had someone clean up my rivet jobs and install mag locks and some after market accessories I purchased at gun shows and through Cold War Shooters.(CWS).

tom_92673
09-28-2009, 11:51 AM
I would add, that I got one kit from Centerfire systems and one from a gun show booth.

God Bless The Mauser
09-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Yugoslavian M64:) apexgunparts.com is out but they still have some M70s. You would have to reweld these yourself if you have welding experience or send it off to be rewelded.

Arteel
09-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Welcome to CGN. Tell your buddy thanks for spreading the word. :)

stix213
09-28-2009, 12:11 PM
hello everyone, im new to the whole ak in cali thing, just to let everyone know. i got my first assault-style rifle, an awsome vz58 sporter. i now have an itch to mess with it, but id rather get a kit and fool around with that. so, on this bored (i was referred here by a friend) i am asking, what is a good, high quality parts kit that i can start out with. i am itching to start my collection of bits for a build and a good parts kit is the most important first step. i would also like to know where i can aquire some pre-ban ak clips here in cali, if possible. thanks! -Nick.

AK's don't use "clips" they use magazines, and no one can sell you pre-ban magazines if they don't want to commit a felony. You can buy rebuild kits, but again if you assembled them into a high capacity magazine that would be a felony. Although you are free to permanently alter the rebuild kit to 10 round maximum capacity and then assemble it.

CA law enforcement is known to read these forums, so asking around about how you can "aquire some pre-ban ak clips here in cali" isn't a good idea in my opinion.

Also, I'd shy away from referring to your rifle as an "assault-style rifle" since if you just bought a rifle legally considered an "Assault Weapon" you would be a felon.

efnick
09-28-2009, 12:39 PM
ok- original post edited. we all want to stay very legal here. thanks for the tips and great responses so far! ill probably be sending out PMs later, when im not in class.