PDA

View Full Version : I called Kel-Tec...barrel info.

TonyNorCal
02-10-2005, 7:11 AM
I called Kel-Tec this morning and spoke to a tech who 'builds the SU-16s'. His name is Darryl. Nice guy.

1.) He says there is no difference in barrel diameter between the B and C models. The differences are only that the C is threaded and that the B has a slight bulge on part of the barrel for the stock to latch onto.

2.) There has been some talk at Kel-Tec about possibly making a CA-legal C-version. However, this has not yet been decided. Although, if the barrels are equal in diameter this would leave only a threaded barrel as the advantage.

3.) The barrels can be removed, but I guess it takes some knowledge and equipment. (This reverses what I was told in a previous call...I think before I was talking to someone in customer service...who had said that sometimes they damage the receiver and sometimes they don't...so that basically a worn barrel =s a new gun).

TonyNorCal
02-10-2005, 7:11 AM
I called Kel-Tec this morning and spoke to a tech who 'builds the SU-16s'. His name is Darryl. Nice guy.

1.) He says there is no difference in barrel diameter between the B and C models. The differences are only that the C is threaded and that the B has a slight bulge on part of the barrel for the stock to latch onto.

2.) There has been some talk at Kel-Tec about possibly making a CA-legal C-version. However, this has not yet been decided. Although, if the barrels are equal in diameter this would leave only a threaded barrel as the advantage.

3.) The barrels can be removed, but I guess it takes some knowledge and equipment. (This reverses what I was told in a previous call...I think before I was talking to someone in customer service...who had said that sometimes they damage the receiver and sometimes they don't...so that basically a worn barrel =s a new gun).

TonyNorCal
02-10-2005, 8:27 AM
A further point of clarification...this tech says the A version has the thickest barrel, while the B and C versions have thinner and equal diameter barrels.

maxicon
02-12-2005, 2:56 PM
I did a bit of checking, and here's what I dug up:

The guy who did the SU16C review at ar15.com says his barrel is 0.625". He didn't specify if it's different under the handguard, and it appears to be the same diameter from the handguard to the muzzle.

On my SU16A, the barrel diameter's 0.745" under the handguard. From there, it's stepped at the handguard mount and tapered, going from 0.630 at the step to 0.530 at the muzzle.

So, not a huge difference, but we'll see how the accuracy reports come in on the new barrels.

max

overlord
02-13-2005, 12:22 PM
They just announced the SU-16 CA. http://www.kel-tec.com/news.htm

Technical Ted
02-13-2005, 12:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by overlord:
They just announced the SU-16 CA. http://www.kel-tec.com/news.htm <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://calguns.net/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=888602736&f=332609466&m=79910538121