PDA

View Full Version : Rem 700 floating stocks

ILVSMOG
09-28-2009, 7:36 AM
Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket floating stocks for Remington 700s? I have a Boyd's thumbhole stock on my 10/22 and I like it a lot. I was thinking about trying one on my 700 varmint rifle, but I'm looking for some opinions or previous experience.

Thanks!

Overkill
09-28-2009, 8:15 AM
Are you looking for a wood stock, or a synthetic one? There are a TON of options.

What caliber is your 700?

jrr
09-28-2009, 8:25 AM
I have a HS Precision tactical adjustable. Very comfortable, added some texture to the grips with marine tex and it hasnt let me down. Since HS Precision made it popular a lot of companies have started using the aluminum blocks, Bell And Carleson, Choate, Hogue, etc. I have glass bedded before and the v-block is sooooo much more convenient. And you don't need to worry about tearing it up when you remove the action. Just pop it out, pop it in and torque it down.
I believe there is a company that makes wood stocks with aluminum bedding blocks too. Advanced something something... Midways used to have them.

ILVSMOG
09-28-2009, 8:32 AM
Are you looking for a wood stock, or a synthetic one? There are a TON of options.

What caliber is your 700?

I don't really have a preference either way. My only previous experience is with a Boyd's wood laminate stock which I've been very pleased with. It's easy to control and very ergonomic. It's on a 10/22 though. I just don't know for sure if that feel will translate into a larger, centerfire bench/varmint gun.

The rifle is a Rem 700 VS SF chambered in .22-250. It's a bench and critter gun (mostly bench).

Thanks!

ILVSMOG
09-28-2009, 8:48 AM
This Bell and Carlson looks pretty nice, but it's hard to tell without handling one. It's like trying to buy shoes online, no two ever fit or feel the same.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=273579

I've had the chance to handle and shoot a couple of friends' guns including an AI stock and a HS Precision. I liked them both, but didn't really "fall in love" with either. For some reason, the thumbhole I have on my rimfire feels like an extension of my arm. It gives me an incredible amount of control over the stock, especially in uncomfortable shooting positions, which I've really come to appreciate.

Jon Se
09-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Depending on the size of your hand, the Bell and Carlson Medalist line may or may not fit you.

I currently own the adjustable version http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=108 and it fits my hand perfectly, though it tends to be a bit larger than what you may be used to (standard Rem700 stocks). The grip is also more vertical than your standard stock, which works well if you're used to a pistol grip setup.

Finally the stock weighs a hefty 7-8lbs and probably wasn't meant to be used for anything other than bench or prone shooting.

God Bless The Mauser
09-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Do you want a bench rifle or do you plan on hunting with it? If your going to carry it any distance you should probably get something less bulky like the HS Precision. I was looking at some of the Bell & Carlson and Mcmillan stocks for my SPS Varmint but I plan on carrying it a lot so I just went with the HS Precision.

Mr.Poopypants
09-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Bell & Carlson stocks are great. I've had a 700 in a B&C as well as an AICS, and I preferred the B&C to the AICS. Get the A5 adjustable B&C (about $400 plus shipping) and you'll be very pleased.