PDA

View Full Version : AIM surplus=not Los Angeles friendly

Quemtimebo
09-28-2009, 7:04 AM
Ok this is really annoying. Got this email from AIM today regarding my C&R: "Yes, we received the faxed copy of your C&R. Unfortunately we do not ship anything to Los Angeles." :mad:

So what's the point of being a federal license holder? I was ready to plunk down a pretty huge chunk of coin!

joefrank64k
09-28-2009, 8:31 AM
Ok this is really annoying. Got this email from AIM today regarding my C&R: "Yes, we received the faxed copy of your C&R. Unfortunately we do not ship anything to Los Angeles." :mad:

So what's the point of being a federal license holder? I was ready to plunk down a pretty huge chunk of coin!

Unfortunately, the CITY of Los Angeles (more accurate to say the City's politicians and Police Department Administration) is rabidly anti-gun, anti-Second Amendment, etc.

They do not allow mail-order sales of ammunition into the City...Aim has this posted on their web site:

CALIFORNIA CUSTOMERS: No sales of Ammunition Delivered to the Counties: Napa and Yolo. No Ammunition Delivered to the Cities: Los Angeles, Oakland, San Francisco. No high capacity magazine sales to anyone or dealer in CA. Check for other Local & State laws before ordering.

I live outside of Los Angeles and have had nothing but excellent service from AIM...it's not that they are unfriendly to Los Angeles, they just have to comply with the laws as they are (or as they understand them). :(

sspen003
09-28-2009, 8:40 AM
Dude that blows. Your in the epicenter of Kalifornia

glennsche
09-28-2009, 9:11 AM
I live in LA.

However, i *work* in beverly hills, a different municipality, which doesnt have such a restriction.

do you work elsewhere? if you work in BH, Culver City, Burbank you might be able to ship to the office if you're just buying ammo or something.

Quemtimebo
09-28-2009, 10:41 AM
I was hoping to order a long gun from them.

Full Clip
09-28-2009, 11:11 AM
I live/work in Burbank and AIM is great.
Unfortunately for you, your gun purchases must be sent to the address ON your C&R.

Fantasma
09-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Does your shipping address say Los Angeles in it? Did they say no to shipping to the city or the county?

I live in Los Angeles county, but not the actual city.

rcantu
09-28-2009, 11:22 AM
glad im in oc. seems like in LA you can get roosters easier than ammo.

Quemtimebo
09-28-2009, 11:30 AM
They only said "Los Angeles," but I presume they just mean the city. Yeah, I'm just going to use Gunbroker. Found a seller who WILL ship to me.

I understand that AIM doesn't want to deal with red tape for Class 01 transactions and whatnot, but Class 03 transactions are a totally different beast, and pretty easy to do at that. I don't see what the big deal is. They'll have their records on their end and I'll have my records on mine. This feels almost like a punitive measure, because I decided to live in LA or something.

ke6guj
09-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Unfortunately for you, your gun purchases must be sent to the address ON your C&R.incorrect.

Can an FFL ship a firearm to an address
that is different from the business
premises address identified on the
license?
Yes. Neither the GCA nor its implementing
regulations contain specific provisions,
requiring that an FFL have firearms shipped
to their licensed business premises when
receiving firearms. To that end, an FFL may
lawfully receive firearms at their mailing
address, storage location, or other address
where the licensee intends to ensure safe
and secure receipt of the firearms.

ATF Industry Circular 74-13 outlines
“Guidelines for Verifying Identity and
Licensed Status of Transferee.” It states, in
part, that “when the shipment is to be made
to an address other than the transferee’s
premises as listed on his or her license or on
his or her certified list, it is suggested that
the transferor verify the address as being
that of the transferee.” Furthermore,
pursuant to section 922 (b) of the GCA, it is
unlawful to ship a firearm interstate to an
unlicensed individual.

We encourage that FFLs verify to the best of
their ability that the shipping address is a
valid location where the licensee is prepared
to receive and subsequently possess the
firearms. In addition, if an FFL has customers
that require frequent delivery of firearms to
an address other than their licensed business
premises, we recommend that the shipping
address be placed on file with ATF’s Federal
Firearms Licensing Center (FFLC) as an
additional mailing address.

It should be noted that any FFL receiving
firearms at locations other than their
licensed premises must maintain accurate
records of acquisition and disposition of
firearms. The acquisition of firearms must be
recorded by the close of the following
business day or, if commercial records are
maintained, within 7 days following the
acquisition (See 27 CFR 478.125(e) and (g)).
In the event of an ATF compliance
inspection, the FFL must make all records
and firearms inventory available for
inspection. In addition, if the location is
used as a continuous off-site storage facility,
the FFL must notify the FFLC so that the
address can be placed on file.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/newsletter/0306fflnewsletter.pdf

Now, getting a shipper to ship to an address not on your FFL may be difficult, but it is legal to do so.

Steyr_223
09-28-2009, 1:07 PM
From AIM:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/firearm_articles.html

-CALIFORNIA CUSTOMERS: Handgun sales only to "01" Dealer FFL, handguns must be on the California approved list however C&R Handguns can be shipped to 01 Dealers. No High Capacity magazine sales, No Assault Weapon sales. C&R Licensees may purchase C&R rifles only if made prior to 1955 regardless if the rifle appears on the federal C&R list. All CA Dealers must give us their CFD# before ordering. Check for other Local & State laws before ordering.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/ammunition_articles.html

-CALIFORNIA CUSTOMERS: No sales of Ammunition Delivered to the Counties: Napa and Yolo. No Ammunition Delivered to the Cities: Los Angeles, Oakland, San Francisco. No high capacity magazine sales to anyone or dealer in CA. Check for other Local & State laws before ordering.

Sabot
09-28-2009, 5:04 PM
I buy from them all the time since they don't say "no sales of ammo to the County of Ventura" like some sites do.

bigger hammer
09-28-2009, 5:35 PM
Unfortunately, the CITY of Los Angeles (more accurate to say the City's politicians and Police Department Administration) is rabidly anti-gun, anti-Second Amendment, etc.

They do not allow mail-order sales of ammunition into the City(

Can you cite a reference for this? I've heard it before but have not been able find anything to support it.

From this link it looks as if such a law has been proposed but not passed.

http://cityclerk.lacity.org/lacityclerkconnect/index.cfm?fa=ccfi.viewrecord&cfnumber=08-1403

joefrank64k
09-28-2009, 6:28 PM
Can you cite a reference for this? I've heard it before but have not been able find anything to support it.

From this link it looks as if such a law has been proposed but not passed.

http://cityclerk.lacity.org/lacityclerkconnect/index.cfm?fa=ccfi.viewrecord&cfnumber=08-1403

It's section (d) of 55.11 of the LA City Muni Code...

SEC. 55.11. REQUIREMENTS FOR AMMUNITION SALES.

(Title and Section Amended by Ord. No. 180,447, Eff. 2/2/09, Oper. 6/18/09.)
(a) "Firearm Ammunition" means any self-contained unit consisting of the case, primer, propellant charge, and projectile for use in pistols, revolvers, rifles, shot guns, or any other device designed to be used as a weapon from which is expelled a projectile by the force of explosion or other form of combustion. "Firearm Ammunition" shall not include blank ammunition used solely in the course of motion picture, television, video, or theatrical productions.
(b) The term "vendor", as used in this section, shall mean any person who is engaged in the retail sale of firearm ammunition and retail firearms dealers.
(c) No vendor shall sell or otherwise transfer ownership of any firearm ammunition to any person other than those listed in subsection (g) without at the time of purchase recording the following information on a form to be prescribed by the Board of Police Commissioners:
1. the date of the transaction,
2. the name, address and date of birth of the transferee,
3. the transferee's drivers license or other identification number and the state in which it was issued,
4. the brand, type and amount of ammunition transferred,
5. the transferee's signature, and
6. the name of the sales person who processed the transaction.
The vendor shall also at the time of purchase or transfer obtain the right thumb print of the purchaser or transferee on the above-referenced form.
(d) No vendor shall sell or otherwise transfer ownership of any firearm ammunition without complying with all requirements of subsection (c) in a face-to-face transaction.
(e) The records required by this section shall be maintained on the premises of the vendor for a period of not less than two (2) years from the date of the recorded transfer. Said records shall be subject to inspection at any time during normal business hours in accordance with the provisions of Section 103.14 (http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll?f=id$id=Los%20Angeles%20Municipal%20Co de%3Ar%3A2e904$cid=california$t=document-frame.htm$an=JD_103.14.$3.0#JD_103.14.) of this Code.
(f) No person shall knowingly make a false entry in, or fail to make a required entry in, or fail to obtain the required thumb print, or fail to maintain in the required manner records prepared in accordance herewith. No person shall refuse to permit a police department employee to examine any record prepared in accordance with this section during any inspection conducted pursuant to this section, or refuse to permit the use of any record or information therefrom by the police department.
(g) The requirements of subsection (c) shall not apply when the purchaser is any of the following:
1. any person described in Section 12302 or 12322 of the Penal Code of the State of California.
2. any off-duty peace officer who displays proper agency identification which identifies him or her as an active peace officer.
3. any person who has been issued a permit to carry a concealed weapon under the authority of Section 12050 of the Penal Code of the State of California
4. any security guard licensed under the authority of Section 12033 of the Penal Code of the State of California.
5. any firearms dealer who has been issued a Federal Firearms License, a Certificate of Eligibility by the State of California and a Seller of Firearms Police Permit by the City of Los Angeles.
6. any firearm ammunition vendor who has been issued a Seller of Ammunition Police Permit by the City of Los Angeles.
(h) Violation of this section shall constitute a misdemeanor.

Quemtimebo
09-28-2009, 7:23 PM
From AIM:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/firearm_articles.html

-CALIFORNIA CUSTOMERS: Handgun sales only to "01" Dealer FFL, handguns must be on the California approved list however C&R Handguns can be shipped to 01 Dealers. No High Capacity magazine sales, No Assault Weapon sales. C&R Licensees may purchase C&R rifles only if made prior to 1955 regardless if the rifle appears on the federal C&R list. All CA Dealers must give us their CFD# before ordering. Check for other Local & State laws before ordering.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/ammunition_articles.html

-CALIFORNIA CUSTOMERS: No sales of Ammunition Delivered to the Counties: Napa and Yolo. No Ammunition Delivered to the Cities: Los Angeles, Oakland, San Francisco. No high capacity magazine sales to anyone or dealer in CA. Check for other Local & State laws before ordering.

Totally aware of that. I wasn't trying to buy a handgun or ammunition. There is no law barring the sale of long guns to C&R holders in Los Angeles. A followup email from AIM added that it is their "company policy" to not do business with anyone in the city of LA. Their loss! :p

bigger hammer
09-28-2009, 7:41 PM
It's section (d) of 55.11 of the LA City Muni Code...

SEC. 55.11. REQUIREMENTS FOR AMMUNITION SALES.

(Title and Section Amended by Ord. No. 180,447, Eff. 2/2/09, Oper. 6/18/09.)
(a) "Firearm Ammunition" means any self-contained unit consisting of the case, primer, propellant charge, and projectile for use in pistols, revolvers, rifles, shot guns, or any other device designed to be used as a weapon from which is expelled a projectile by the force of explosion or other form of combustion. "Firearm Ammunition" shall not include blank ammunition used solely in the course of motion picture, television, video, or theatrical productions.
(b) The term "vendor", as used in this section, shall mean any person who is engaged in the retail sale of firearm ammunition and retail firearms dealers.

It looks to me as it this applies to vendors in the City of LA, not vendors outside the state. The City of LA does not have the power to regulate them. Had this addressed the purchaser of such ammunition it might be applicable. But it does not.

I don't think that the purchase of ammunition via mail or the Net in the city of LA is regulated at this time.

joefrank64k
09-28-2009, 8:11 PM
It looks to me as it this applies to vendors in the City of LA, not vendors outside the state. The City of LA does not have the power to regulate them. Had this addressed the purchaser of such ammunition it might be applicable. But it does not.

I don't think that the purchase of ammunition via mail or the Net in the city of LA is regulated at this time.

While the City has no direct power over AIM in Ohio, (or any other State, County, or City) FFL's have an absolute obligation to not knowingly violate firearms laws, whether they are Federal, State, or local.

The Muni Code doesn't specifically say "this only applies to vendors located within the City of Los Angeles" it just uses the term "vendor" so it "applies" to AIM and anyone else that fits the Muni Code's "vendor" definition.

While the City of LA would have a hard (impossible?) time actually prosecuting AIM for a violation of their ordinance, they would have an easy time of dropping a dime on AIM to the Federal BATFE.

AIM isn't about to "import" hi-cap mags into Kalifornia, either, even though California laws carry no weight in Ohio...but as an FFL holder, they would have to answer to the BATFE...with negative results for AIM.

Just my 2 cents...

bigger hammer
09-28-2009, 8:31 PM
While the City has no direct power over AIM in Ohio, (or any other State, County, or City) FFL's have an absolute obligation to not knowingly violate firearms laws, whether they are Federal, State, or local.

Just as soon as the City of LA notifies every FFL holder in the country, this may have some effect. As it is right now, the City of LA DOES NOT have the right to regulate vendors from outside the city of LA nor does it have any say in Interstate Commerce.
The Muni Code doesn't specifically say "this only applies to vendors located within the City of Los Angeles" it just uses the term "vendor" so it "applies" to AIM and anyone else that fits the Muni Code's "vendor" definition.

The City of LA recently instituted a regulation limiting the hours and days for the watering of lawns. That doesn’t apply to anyone outside the City of LA. Neither does this law.

AIM isn't about to "import" hi-cap mags into Kalifornia, either, even though California laws carry no weight in Ohio...but as an FFL holder, they would have to answer to the BATFE...with negative results for AIM.

There's a vast difference between a state law and a City Ordinance. The state law is a "wobbler" and can be prosecuted as a felony. It's been publicized across the US and given to all FFL holders. The City ordinance is a misdemeanor and has not been distributed.

Most of the "no sales to California" is nothing but a political statement that does nothing but hurt the shooters here. Those who pass the laws aren't harmed or even inconvenienced. It's the end users who suffer.

der_saeufer
09-28-2009, 9:39 PM

While the City of LA would have a hard (impossible?) time actually prosecuting AIM for a violation of their ordinance, they would have an easy time of dropping a dime on AIM to the Federal BATFE.

Just my 2 cents...

With hi-cap mags it's an easy question. California law clearly prohibits the import of hi-cap magazines into California with very few exceptions. If I order a 30-round Glock 18 mag online and someone out of state ships it to me in Sacramento, that is very clearly illegal and an FFL doing so can get in hot water with ATF for it because they've caused it to be imported into California, regardless where the transfer of title occurs. It's also quite clearly illegal for me to buy said Glock 18 mag at Cabela's in Reno and bring it home to Sac (though in that case only the "bring it home to Sac" is illegal since Cabela's had nothing to do with the mags coming into CA. As CA residents, we can buy all the hi-cap mags we want in other states, so long as we don't bring them back to CA; I own quite a few, but when I moved to Sacramento, the mags moved in with my brother, who doesn't live in CA).

With ammunition it's not so clear. None of the ammunition purchase logging laws I've seen say anything about "importing" ammunition into the area. The city of Sacramento has a law similar to LA's. In contrast to the hi-cap mag law, it's perfectly legal for me to drive over the river into the unincorporated area of the county (or to another county or Nevada), buy all the ammo I want and then take it back to my house inside city limits.

I've seen online sellers take three approaches to the local ammo sales restrictions:
1) Some won't ship to California. Sometimes it's political, sometimes they are afraid of violating some random city's ammunition laws.
2) Some won't ship to areas with ammo purchase logging. This seems to be the most common and includes some confusion for the unfortunate people who live outside XYZ city but use that city's name in the mailing address, like all the people in the unincorporated Sacramento suburbs whose mail comes to "Sacramento, CA 958xx".
3) There are a few who completely ignore the local ammunition laws.. IANAL, but my guess is that they believe the sale takes place where they are located, i.e. outside California (which is certainly true for sales tax purposes), and because no law prohibits import of ammunition into California or the cities of Sacramento, LA, Oakland, etc. they are doing nothing wrong and neither is the buyer.

No C&R rifles to the City of Los Angeles, however, sounds like a seller who is either overly cautious or politically motivated. Having bought from AIM in the past (when I didn't live in California), I'm guessing they feel it's just not worth the risk of breaking some law they didn't know about.

joefrank64k
09-29-2009, 6:14 AM
Just as soon as the City of LA notifies every FFL holder in the country, this may have some effect. As it is right now, the City of LA DOES NOT have the right to regulate vendors from outside the city of LA nor does it have any say in Interstate Commerce.

Agreed!!! :D

The City of LA recently instituted a regulation limiting the hours and days for the watering of lawns. That doesn’t apply to anyone outside the City of LA. Neither does this law.

Agreed!!! :D I'm afraid that my quotes around the word 'applies' weren't clear...I meant that the Muni Code "applies" to AIM in definition only with no direct enforcement.

There's a vast difference between a state law and a City Ordinance. The state law is a "wobbler" and can be prosecuted as a felony. It's been publicized across the US and given to all FFL holders. The City ordinance is a misdemeanor and has not been distributed.

AGREED!!! :D And an FFL holder who KNOWINGLY violates any firearms related laws can get into hot water with the BATFE. And Los Angeles has let it's hatred of gun rights/gun owners/The Second Amendment be known throughout the land! It would be a 'difficult' defense for a national internet retailer like AIM to plead ignorance of the laws of a huge city like Los Angeles

Most of the "no sales to California" is nothing but a political statement that does nothing but hurt the shooters here. Those who pass the laws aren't harmed or even inconvenienced. It's the end users who suffer.

Testify!!! :D:D:D

joefrank64k
09-29-2009, 6:18 AM
With ammunition it's not so clear. None of the ammunition purchase logging laws I've seen say anything about "importing" ammunition into the area. The city of Sacramento has a law similar to LA's. In contrast to the hi-cap mag law, it's perfectly legal for me to drive over the river into the unincorporated area of the county (or to another county or Nevada), buy all the ammo I want and then take it back to my house inside city limits.

Yes, my "importing" comparison was not the best! The laws are about transferring the ammo, and that's where places like AIM are stuck. The local laws say the "transfer" has to be "face-to-face" with limited exceptions

ZRX61
09-29-2009, 5:04 PM
AIM ship to Lancaster & the rest of the AV :)

Dolk
10-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Back to the original post.....This was not about ammo, and it was not about a C&R handgun...right? It was about a C&R long gun or rifle.

If there is no law stopping AIM from selling a C&R rifle to him, then why are they refusing to?

Is it about "we'll teach them a lesson and not sell anything to him"?

If so, maybe we should let AIM know there are a lot of us here in California that don't care for that attitude. We are not in LA but, we buy from them and now maybe I'll go someplace else.

If this is the case, all AIM is doing is helping the anti gun movement here. Or have I misunderstood again?

ArtyB
10-01-2009, 1:45 PM

I purchased some ammo and tried to have it shipped to my work location in L.A.

No go.

I live outside of L.A. so no problems, but it sucks.

stix213
10-01-2009, 1:58 PM

When you buy anything on the internet, in most cases the laws are interpreted as if the sale is happening locally where the customer is. For example if you sued AIM for any reason you would sue them in your local county, not theirs. The only exception I am aware of is the collection of sales taxes.

yuccales
10-01-2009, 4:13 PM
Aim is a first rate company. They are not "Anti-California", as I have had both ammo & rifles sent to me. I've only ordered what they can legally ship to me. I'm quite sure if AIM could ship to the city of Los Angeles they would.

joefrank64k
10-01-2009, 7:41 PM
Aim is a first rate company. They are not "Anti-California", as I have had both ammo & rifles sent to me. I've only ordered what they can legally ship to me. I'm quite sure if AIM could ship to the city of Los Angeles they would.

I agree about AIM being a stand-up company...I found another restriction in the LA Muni Code that might explain things:

SEC. 55.15. FINGERPRINTING OF FIREARMS PURCHASERS.

(c) No dealer shall sell or otherwise transfer ownership of any firearm without obtaining the right thumb print of the purchaser or transferee on the California Department of Justice Dealer Record of Sale of Firearm worksheet signed by the purchaser or transferee. The thumb print shall be recorded at the lower right hand corner on the back side of the worksheet at the time that the worksheet is signed by the purchaser or transferee.Then they define a "firearm" as:

SEC. 103.314. SELLERS OF FIREARMS.

1. “Firearm” means any pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun or other device designed to be used as a weapon, from which a projectile is expelled through a barrel by the force of an explosion or any other form of combustion, or any device which is capable of being altered so as to expel a projectile in such manner.I notice that they don't list any exceptions for C&R guns...so AIM can't comply since they can't obtain a thumb print (and aren't on the DROS system anyway).

What a mess!!! :mad:

Quemtimebo
10-01-2009, 9:54 PM
I agree about AIM being a stand-up company...I found another restriction in the LA Muni Code that might explain things:

Then they define a "firearm" as:

I notice that they don't list any exceptions for C&R guns...so AIM can't comply since they can't obtain a thumb print (and aren't on the DROS system anyway).

What a mess!!! :mad:

I don't think that applies to FFL holders, either Class 01 or Class 03 who are merely *receiving* guns. Maybe my logic is wonky, but ordering a C&R gun with a Class 03 is really just doing a transfer between two federal license holders.

In any event, there's a 91/30 on its way from someone else. Should I call the BATF and ask wtf is going on?

joefrank64k
10-02-2009, 7:17 AM
I don't think that applies to FFL holders, either Class 01 or Class 03 who are merely *receiving* guns. Maybe my logic is wonky, but ordering a C&R gun with a Class 03 is really just doing a transfer between two federal license holders.

In any event, there's a 91/30 on its way from someone else. Should I call the BATF and ask wtf is going on?

I'm glad to see you found a supplier for your 91/30! :D

There was a post from Bill Wiese cautioning in-state vendors from relying on out-of-state vendors for advice on what's legal...

CA FFLs & employees: please do NOT rely on out-of-state vendors for info

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=226504

I guess it comes down to AIM's interpretation of Los Angeles' laws...but the main thing is you found a supplier, so enjoy that Mosin!

luchador768
10-03-2009, 6:01 AM

^^^waht he said.

Los Angles is the problem, not AIM.

Quemtimebo
10-03-2009, 7:03 PM
^^^waht he said.

In what way is Los Angeles the problem here?

I didn't order any ammo, and I'm an FFL holder entitled to have Curio and Relic long guns shipped to my home, which just so happens to be in Los Angeles. There is nary a state or local law against C&R holders receiving C&R long guns. And I'd say a 1942 91/30 fits the bill pretty well...

Dolk
10-05-2009, 1:04 PM
Originally Posted by yuccales View Post

^^^waht he said.

If there is a law prohibiting AIM from sending a 91/30 to LA, then OK.

If there is no law prohibiting that sale and it is only AIM, then AIM is the problem.

Aim is not California friendly if they are the problem, just because you can get your order in another county or city. What happens if they say your city next for no legal reason.

Now if there is something (legally) stopping them, then that's a horse of a different color.

Quemtimebo,
I would call AIM and ask them what the legal problem is, they may have a good legal reason..........If not it would be interesting to know also.