PDA

View Full Version : The Mad Minute

Crusader
09-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Ok so a few months back, a couple Calgunners and I got together to test a few rifles and see how they compared in a Mad Minute. Between a K31, Lee Enfield, and a Kar98k, all three had technical/operator errors, so the test was not exactly fair/accurate (the K31 still won).

At this last Calguns meet at Lytle Creek, I asked Penny's Dad to take a video of me on my new German Kar98k. I was surprised when I got home and watched the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7WGYENfja4

If any other Calgunners would be interested, I am very curious to see if we can re-test the Mad Minute with several WW2-era rifles. I have the Kar98k, and if anyone in the Orange, LA, or Riverside county areas would like to get together to try this out again, post up and let's see if we can get something going.

Scratch705
09-27-2009, 11:05 PM
that would be fun to watch. all the WW2 era rifles duking it out for speed (m1 garand excluded of course since that is semi-auto... haha)

Mssr. Eleganté
09-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Cool video. You could save precious milliseconds by ejecting the stripper clip with the bolt instead of taking it out with your fingers. :)

Crusader
09-27-2009, 11:08 PM
You know, it would be an interesting comparison none-the-less. But yeah, I meant specifically bolt action rifles.

What I was surprised at was the accuracy with which I was shooting. Although it was tough for me to tell specifically, all of those rounds fell within 4 or 5 feet of each other. Given the fact that the Mad Minute was meant to be used against Germans charging the trenches, I'd say my accuracy would not be out of place with that of the English soldiers.

Elegante:
I know, but I highly value those stripper clips (a gift from Eat Dirt) and do not want to do anything that could risk damaging them. They seriously load the magazine like butter.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-27-2009, 11:15 PM
What I was surprised at was the accuracy with which I was shooting. Although it was tough for me to tell specifically, all of those rounds fell within 4 or 5 feet of each other. Given the fact that the Mad Minute was meant to be used against Germans charging the trenches, I'd say my accuracy would not be out of place with that of the English soldiers.

I think the official "mad minute" involved getting all of the rounds into a 12 inch circle at 300 yards.

Crusader
09-27-2009, 11:52 PM
I do believe you're right, but I doubt that was the case on the battlefield. In any case, the Mad Minute was not used on single targets, it was used on charging walls of soldiers.

Edit:
Forgot to add, that was 4 feet at 200 yards.

paratroop
09-28-2009, 5:59 AM
um, that was more like 18 seconds

Crusader
09-28-2009, 7:50 AM
It was a demonstration. I was just shooting a general video to send around to my friends.

glennsche
09-28-2009, 8:04 AM
i'll be glad to represent the k31 again! :)

i could bring that, mosins, smle, berthier 1916 carbine, but i'd have to ask for ammo contributions to offset the cost of 8mm lebel. :)

actually, i wonder how the mannlicher clips would do? would that help or hurt? you dont have to "remove" any stripper clip, you're just loading. hmmm...

AngryPossum
09-28-2009, 8:10 AM
Cool Video...and Nice Mauser!

emcon5
09-28-2009, 8:58 AM
Cool video and nice rifle.

You got me curious though, and I did some searching on Youtube, and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m1yN-3n0FU

Interesting that he never takes his hand off the bolt while shooting. Can't tell which finger he is using on the trigger, but I can't see his index finger being long enough.

There are a bunch of mad minute videos, like this line of Enfield riflemen in New Zealand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh-pgRhi_Lo&feature=related

Pretty cool.

glennsche
09-28-2009, 9:14 AM
There are a bunch of mad minute videos, like this line of Enfield riflemen in New Zealand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh-pgRhi_Lo&feature=related

Pretty cool.

that's a buncha enfields! the jungle carbine looks cool with its sights up.

i'm partial to the SMLE... its just so distinctively cool looking with its snub nose

reidnez
09-28-2009, 2:55 PM
I'd love to come take part in something like that. I could bring my 98K, Mosin M38, and Garand just for comparison. Not anything you don't already have, but I'm happy to contribute ammo and give others some range time with my toys.

Scratch705
09-28-2009, 6:01 PM
get everyone to shoot at the same time. make it sound like it was back in WWII battlefield... haha

socomIInato
09-28-2009, 9:35 PM
hi crusader looks like that 2nd 5 rds was quicker then the first five. not bad for a k98, nice job! hows the smoothest of the action on that k98 and what type of 8mm were you using? steel case or brass?

socomIInato
09-28-2009, 9:37 PM
I'd love to come take part in something like that. I could bring my 98K, Mosin M38, and Garand just for comparison. Not anything you don't already have, but I'm happy to contribute ammo and give others some range time with my toys.

my antiques stand ready for shootout!

Crusader
09-28-2009, 10:52 PM
hi crusader looks like that 2nd 5 rds was quicker then the first five. not bad for a k98, nice job! hows the smoothest of the action on that k98 and what type of 8mm were you using? steel case or brass?

The first 5 rounds was more for accuracy. After I reloaded, I decided to try and fire as fast as I could.

Personally, I feel the Mauser's bolt is smoother than that of the Enfield. Cock on closing is a neat idea, but I prefer the way the Mauser chambers. I was using Romanian surplus, lacquer-coated steel cased. I shot about 200 rounds that day and never once had sticky bolt issues, not even when firing 40 rounds at a time.

socomIInato
09-29-2009, 1:10 AM
wish my 98k was that smooth, i have to settle for my 308 chambered mod 98 FED ORD. straight bolt american eagle mod. without the eagle. has original german marking/S42 which as I recall is obendorf manu code. as I recall it had a isreali barrel. looks like it has a czech stock with sling mounts on the side and bottom. actually not a bad looking rifle and very fast bolt. original price back in the day was about $109.00

fed

ivanimal
09-29-2009, 2:12 AM
Carcano FTW!:43:

CmpsdNoMore
09-29-2009, 2:33 AM
Hey, that's a nice rifle. :D

NSR500
09-29-2009, 4:33 AM
Interesting that he never takes his hand off the bolt while shooting. Can't tell which finger he is using on the trigger, but I can't see his index finger being long enough.

He uses his middle finger to actuate the trigger. Thumb and Index remain on the bolt to facilitate cycling.

knucklehead0202
10-02-2009, 9:02 PM
while not necessarily WWII era, the Steyr m-95 would fit nicely into something like this. an experienced shooter can really get a lot of shots off quickly and reloading is quick too with the enbloc clips. i also agree that carcanos would be a good choice. it'd really be interesting to see someone who can work a MAS 36 quickly. i recently acquired a '36/51 and i'll tell ya, it'll take some getting used to, with the forward-bent bolt it's a kinda awkward.

Mr.Pickles
10-02-2009, 10:57 PM
once i get the front sight I will have a M95 and my just added 2nd M44

emcon5
10-03-2009, 7:36 AM
A group could meet up at a local highpower match, and have an impromptu Axis and Allies bolt gun match. There are 2 semi-mad minutes in the national match course, sitting and prone rapid, 10 shots each in about a minute.

Johnny?
10-05-2009, 7:32 PM
Carcano FTW!:43:

I recently recieve a 7.35 Italian Carcano rifle. Where is the best place to get ammo for it??

Crusader
10-05-2009, 10:20 PM
I recently recieve a 7.35 Italian Carcano rifle. Where is the best place to get ammo for it??

1940s Italy

Johnny?
10-05-2009, 11:36 PM
any local place around san diego??? I just need a few to see how it shoot then store it or sell it.

Dr. Peter Venkman
10-06-2009, 2:00 PM
any local place around san diego??? I just need a few to see how it shoot then store it or sell it.

You can either spend a lot of money to reload it (http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano/ammo/reload.html) or buy really old surplus ammunition for it. I don't know of any gunshops that are going to readily carry 7.35x51 surplus. The cartridge is not manufactured by anyone, but Norma does make the 6.5.

Khram
10-06-2009, 3:00 PM
Federal made a small run of 7.35Carcano in the last 20 years I believe. Ades gun shop has like a box of old Italian surplus at some gouge rate that has sitting there for a long time. Might have the clips though, think they wanted $45 for it. I paid $15 for my box like 6 years ago or so.

Mssr. Eleganté
10-06-2009, 3:20 PM

J&G Sales in Arizona has some of the old Italian surplus right now. It's pretty expensive, but their shipping charges to California are better than all of the East Coast ammo vendors.

xdanxx
10-06-2009, 6:01 PM
id be down, I got an m48 and 91/30. The mauser is definitely smoother then the mosin.

knucklehead0202
10-06-2009, 9:44 PM

nobody normal carries 7.35, i'd put a post in WTB forum here on calguns, otherwise, JG sales had some a while ago, or look on gunbroker or check the vendors in shotgun news to see if anyone has it. 7.35 is very had to come by. i've got a 6.5 carcano and that stuff's easy to find, but for some reason, nobody makes 7.35 yet. Prvi will probably come up to it sooner or later. if you get 6.5 carcano brass, you can trim and resize it for 7.35, just make sure you get the right bullets. 7.35 carcano doesn't shoot a .308, but a .300 bullet diameter that as far as i know, only Hornady makes. don't F it up or you could lose more than a little pride. good luck.