PDA

View Full Version : Long gun from out of state?

mtsul
09-27-2009, 11:35 PM
So I will start off by saying Im sorry For posting this Im sure it is on herwe but I use my cell so for me its very hard to see other post beside what i post

I was wondering what the laws are for bringing in to CA a CA legal long gun (Highpoint carbine with a bullet button) from AZ and what I would have to do once it was in CA (if anything) if you can just give me a link to another post or post it on here that would be great

ke6guj
09-27-2009, 11:48 PM
As long as it is in a CA-legal configuration, just have it shipped to a local FFL willing to DROS it to you.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-27-2009, 11:50 PM
So I will start off by saying Im sorry For posting this Im sure it is on herwe but I use my cell so for me its very hard to see other post beside what i post

I was wondering what the laws are for bringing in to CA a CA legal long gun (Highpoint carbine with a bullet button) from AZ and what I would have to do once it was in CA (if anything) if you can just give me a link to another post or post it on here that would be great

What do you mean by "bringing in to California"? Do you want to acquire a Highpoint carbine with a bullet button from somebody who is a resident of Arizona? If so, the rifle would have to be shipped to an FFL in California or brought to an FFL in California by the current owner. Then the FFL can transfer the gun to you. After the DROS and 10 day wait you can pick up the gun from the FFL. The FFL can charge you whatever he wants to for this service.

ke6guj
09-28-2009, 12:08 AM
The OP wasn't clear in the OP, but in another thread, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=225655 , he asked about about using a middleman to transfer in a Hi-point carbine. I guess he is trying to further understand the process.

mtsul
09-28-2009, 10:38 AM
No sorry about not being clear I was wondering ig I can go out of state and buy the gun and bring it back

rct442
09-28-2009, 11:04 AM
No sorry about not being clear I was wondering ig I can go out of state and buy the gun and bring it back

It's my understanding, that on the Federal level, you can purchase a long-gun outside the state of your residence, as long as you don't take possession of it and that it is shipped to your state of residence.

Regarding handguns, no out of state purchases period without a FFL.

Example: You travel to Texas, buy a bolt-action rifle while you are there and pass a background check. The Texas FFL then ships it to your FFL in CA.

Vin496
09-28-2009, 11:34 AM
It's my understanding, that on the Federal level, you can purchase a long-gun outside the state of your residence, as long as you don't take possession of it and that it is shipped to your state of residence.

Example: You travel to Texas, buy a bolt-action rifle while you are there and pass a background check. The Texas FFL then ships it to your FFL in CA.

Since the OP is a resident of California, all gun purchases made in other States must be shipped to his local FFL to finish the transaction.

Now on to your post,

Federal Law will allow the purchase and carry of long guns by an individual who is a resident of another State if both States allow the sale of long guns to non residents.

Example Texas Resident goes to Arizona walks into gun store and can purchase any rifle. He must fill out the Federal Form and undergo the NICS, when he passes, he is clear to leave with his firearm.

The reason a California resident cannot buy a rifle in Arizona and leave with it, is because California does not allow it, thus Federal law does not allow it.

EDIT-

This only applies to purchases through an FFL. There is no cash and carry allowed between residents of different States.

ke6guj
09-28-2009, 11:35 AM
No sorry about not being clear I was wondering ig I can go out of state and buy the gun and bring it backok, now that you clarified the question, NO, you can't take possession of a firearm while out of state and bring it back. It is a violation of federal law. There is an exemption for some long gun purchases from dealers if both states permit it, but CA law does not allow for it.

rct442
09-28-2009, 11:37 AM
That was my understanding. I didn't articulate it as well as you however.

To the OP, you're just going to have to man-up like the rest of us and use a Middleman. How do you think all the local FFLs in this state receive all their EBRs?

Do you think they receive AKs and ARs w/ detachable magazines and evil features? No, a Middleman puts a maglock on them.

Since the OP is a resident of California, all gun purchases made in other States must be shipped to his local FFL to finish the transaction.

Now on to your post,

Federal Law will allow the purchase and carry of long guns by an individual who is a resident of another State if both States allow the sale of long guns to non residents.

Example Texas Resident goes to Arizona walks into gun store and can purchase any rifle. He must fill out the Federal Form and undergo the NICS, when he passes, he is clear to leave with his firearm.

The reason a California resident cannot buy a rifle in Arizona and leave with it, is because California does not allow it, thus Federal law does not allow it.

EDIT-

This only applies to purchases through an FFL. There is no cash and carry allowed between residents of different States.

Vin496
09-28-2009, 11:41 AM

I just wanted to add, just so there is no confusion for anyone reading this.

The Texas or out of State FFL, would not be performing a Background check, if you have the gun shipped to your local FFL, that is the job of the receiving FFL.

mtsul
09-28-2009, 1:55 PM

To the OP, you're just going to have to man-up like the rest of us and use a Middleman. How do you think all the local FFLs in this state receive all their EBRs?

Do you think they receive AKs and ARs w/ detachable magazines and evil features? No, a Middleman puts a maglock on them.

Well I was going to but buds gun shop wont ship to a middle man for CA

rct442
09-28-2009, 2:01 PM
Well I was going to but buds gun shop wont ship to a middle man for CA

Buy it off Gunbroker, or somewhere else and don't tell them it's final destination.

Why support companies that don't support California? :confused:

shark92651
09-28-2009, 2:12 PM
Buy it off Gunbroker, or somewhere else and don't tell them it's final destination.

Why support companies that don't support California? :confused:

+1

Locate a middle-man FFL first, then buy it somewhere and have it shipped to your middle-man. As far as I know there is no "off the shelf" Bullet Button for this rifle so you will most likely have to fashion something yourself. If the rifle can be disassembled into a condition where it is not a semi-auto, centerfire rifle then your middleman can break it down and ship to an OLL-friendly dealer in CA. He could even ship just the receiver (with the serial number) to the dealer and ship the rest to you, although that is not necessary. You can DROS the receiver but just make sure you have some sort of magazine lock in place prior to assembling it.

You can legally get this gun into CA but it is going to be more of a hassle and you can't strong-arm the out of state dealer into dealing with this if the choose not to. If they don't want to bother, buy from someone else.