PDA

View Full Version : m1a1

neverenough
09-27-2009, 10:11 PM
saving to buy a springfield armory m1a1 and i wanted to pick your brains. the standard has a 22 inch barrel and the scout has an 18 inch barrel...what is the difference in range/accuracy when you compare the 4 inch barrel difference? i appreciate your knowledge.......

bsim
09-27-2009, 10:19 PM
M1A1's cost about $4M. I think you meant M1A.

Oh, and the longer barrel = better accuracy @ 400 yards+.

soopafly
09-27-2009, 10:22 PM
lot's o good info here:
http://m14tfl.com/upload/

5ohguy
09-27-2009, 10:27 PM
A 22 inch barrel will have 200-400 fps higher muzzle velocity, so it will have a bit more range. The accuracy between the 22 and 18 inch barrels is pretty much the same out to 500 or so yards with match ammo. I don't know what the difference would be at the extreme range of the rifle.

I own a 18 inch m1a scout and love it. Very accurate and reliable. I find I do my shooting under 300 yards and either gun will get you there easily.

neverenough
09-28-2009, 9:58 AM
thanks for the link soopafly, checking it out. thanks for the info 5ohguy...exactly what i was looking for...personal experience and opinion.

it's common sense that the longer barrel=more accuracy...thanks
ya sorry for my stupidity....i'm not in the market for an abrams tank, but good thing your intelligent and can recognize that

ripcurlksm
09-28-2009, 10:14 AM
it's common sense that the longer barrel=more accuracy

wrong :) longer barrel == longer distance != accuracy

general consensus is that the "Loaded" 22" model is a good value. Next step up is the National Match at high quality. Anything higher than that its better to build your own. Probably the most popular model from what I have read and see here are the M1A Scouts

Here is my Scout range report
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=197534#16

And welcome to the forums :) Do you have an AR15 yet? Do you know they are legal?

B Strong
09-28-2009, 10:17 AM
saving to buy a springfield armory m1a1 and i wanted to pick your brains. the standard has a 22 inch barrel and the scout has an 18 inch barrel...what is the difference in range/accuracy when you compare the 4 inch barrel difference? i appreciate your knowledge.......

Unless you're going to compete in NRA highpower, the Scout is a fine choice.

With the right ammo and optics, a Scout will serve for all purposes out to 400-500yds.

Barney Gumble
09-28-2009, 10:17 AM
it's common sense that the longer barrel=more accuracy...thanks

It may be common sense but it's not necessarily correct. A shorter barrel can be more accurate because it's stiffer.

A longer barrel can give you a longer sight radius which, all things being equal, can help you be more accurate with irons sights, but this has nothing to do with the barrel itself and of course it's meaningless if you're using a scope.

Sumo99
09-28-2009, 10:53 AM
I have both a standard and scout. With my scout, I can hit steel plates out to 400 yards, while I'm not quite as accurate with my standard (I have a few mods on my scout that help). Both will do 300 yards with iron sights no problem. I've shot both down to just under 2 MOA, but 3 MOA is a lot more typical for me.

neverenough
09-28-2009, 10:54 AM
again guys, thanks for the education...keep it coming

M1A Rifleman
09-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Its an M1A. The storter barrel will not mean less accuracy, but the shorter sight radius with a shorter barrel does make it more difficult to be accurate. The shorter barrel will also limit the maximum velocity that can be achieved, which will also reduce the energy down range.

Sicarius
09-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Longer barrel will be more accurate. It will keep the velocity higher for longer thus keeping the bullet supersonic for a longer period of time. When the bullet does hit subsonic speeds there is a moment of instability which occurs. Yes. longer sight radius just makes it more accurate to shoot but with all things being equal barrel quality wise per say... a longer barrel will be able to reach out farther with more accuracy. How far are you trying to shoot? 1000 yards?
Kevin

5ohguy
09-28-2009, 1:18 PM
Basically people are trying to say that while barrel length is definitely a factor in accuracy, but so is twist ratio, bullet weight, barrel harmonics, sight radius, optics, ect...

There is a reason why competition m1as have 22 inch match grade barrels, but if you read up on them, they are usually only fed a certain weight bullet for accuracy. 168 i think for 22s. A bit lighter bullet is used for 18 inch barrels for optimum accuracy.

I feed mine anything that goes bang and its very accurate at sub 300 yards.

Sniper3142
09-28-2009, 4:11 PM
The only thing a Longer Barrel gives you is More Velocity.

Now, that in itself won't guarantee better accuracy but it usually helps in a flater trajectory, less flight time (and less opportunity for wind & weather to affect the bullet), and longer "effective" range (the distance a round will travel before dropping below supersonic speed and becoming unstable during the transonic transition).

Sheepdog1968
09-28-2009, 4:42 PM
SWAT magazine in 2000 (Dec I think - it's online & can be found if u google it) looked at bolt action barrel length & accuracy with San Diego SWAT. They shot groups from the 26" barrel and shortened it in 1 inch increments and shot groups. My general recollection was that accuracy was no different in an 18" or 26" barrel. Of course, the M1A isn't a bolt action so this might not be an apples to apples comparison. I myself would go with the 22" barrel unless there is some specific reason you need a shorter barrel, less weight, etc. The longer sight radius should help a little.

Sumo99
09-28-2009, 6:06 PM
Not all M1A1's are tanks. It could also be a M1 carbine (the paratrooper model was M1A1) or a Thompson sub-machine gun. Neither of which go for $4M. There is also a Springfield M1A-A1 (bush rifle) to really help confuse things. :p

hawk81
09-28-2009, 7:44 PM
I roll with the scout.

floogy
09-28-2009, 7:49 PM

Oh, and the longer barrel = better accuracy @ 400 yards+.
M1A1's also come in .30 carbine with a folding stock. ;)