PDA

View Full Version : Chabot Range

DanvilleRed
09-27-2009, 7:23 PM
As a new shooter I have been trying different range venues in the East Bay.

I have found Chabot to be very friendly and (I think it's Steve?) the range staff have even given me on the spot "lessons".

After two visits and the input from Steve I am feeling very confident with my new Glock G23.

Just wanted to send out a shout to Chabot.

BroncoBob
09-27-2009, 8:17 PM
Welcome and hope you enjoy your time at Chabot

Acorn556
09-27-2009, 9:21 PM
There are a couple calgunners that shoot at Chabot in their events. Looks like a nice range from what I can see online. Haven't made it up there yet though.

Super Spy
09-27-2009, 9:59 PM
I like Livermore Rod and Gun Club....the guys there have always been very helpful too.

kf6tac
09-27-2009, 11:15 PM
I haven't shot any long guns out at Chabot yet, but I did their basic handgun course there prior to getting my first handgun. Great instruction and good people all around. A rather scenic drive getting up there, too.

dexter9659
09-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Chabot is the only place I like to shoot in the area. We have carbine 3 gun this weekend I believe, and PPC/CCW matches next Sunday.

PorkLover
09-28-2009, 7:37 AM
Chabot is a great place, also Livermore Rod and Gun.....Welcome to the Calguns....and gotta love the G23.....

BlackDrop50
09-28-2009, 8:29 AM
Chabot is one of the friendliest places around as long as you follow the rules.

I always chat it up with the RMs about black rifles, 1911s, and the works. They are quick to offer helpful advice.

dwtt
09-28-2009, 9:08 AM
You can shoot your Off list rifle at Chabot and they won't have a heart attack. They've seen so many that it's hard to impress them. I bet they'll be ho-hum if you show up with a FN SCAR.

djbooya
09-28-2009, 9:43 AM
Speaking of Chabot is their website down right now or is it just me? I was going to look at the calendar of events because I was trying to get to a tactical rifle match, but last I checked they were TBD.

ETA: looks like server is back now

phish
09-28-2009, 9:54 AM
range 8 fills up fast now on Fridays. It used to be I would be the only one there, sometimes, at most, 3 others.

10fcp
09-28-2009, 6:30 PM
Chabot is the ****. The range is kept up real nice and the staff is great. Keep your hands off the bench during a cease fire or you'll hear about on the load speaker. Some people I have heard ***** about it but I like the way they keep watch of the line. That 200yd is a plus. I guess Metcalf range is the only other around but Chabot is closer to me. I think Metcalf charges by the hour.(not sure)

DanvilleRed
09-28-2009, 6:52 PM
Seems I am not the only one that likes Chabot. I have tried Livermore and that is good also, but the pistol range is only 25 yds, I like Chabot as it has 7, 15 and 25 yds distances.

I was at Chabot on saturday and was lucky enough to catch an IDPA match, looks great fun and after a little more practise I intend to start competing!

wikidklown
09-28-2009, 7:15 PM
Chabot is one of my favorite ranges in the BA plus don't forget to join for a 1/2 price range fee plus Steve and Curtis are good peeps!

Los Altos rod and gun is a good one too due to their 40 yard tin can range (you're allowed to double tap/rapid fire .22 cal firearms at the tin can range).
They also have a self-operate clay thrower trap range.

DanvilleRed
09-28-2009, 9:50 PM
For clarity it was a IPSC match not IDPA

Farquaad
09-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Its funny, I have never, never once heard anything positive about Chabot in person from anyone, no exaggeration. The bad press on the street is amazing, and as a result I have avoided the place like the plague, yet here on Calguns everything is very positive. I guess someday I will have to check it out for myself and risk the wrath of the range officers, if I'm feeling especially brave one Saturday.

elSquid
09-28-2009, 11:56 PM
Its funny, I have never, never once heard anything positive about Chabot in person from anyone, no exaggeration. The bad press on the street is amazing, and as a result I have avoided the place like the plague, yet here on Calguns everything is very positive. I guess someday I will have to check it out for myself and risk the wrath of the range officers, if I'm feeling especially brave one Saturday.

It's really easy to avoid the wrath of the range officers. Just follow these 10 tips:

During the target change period...

1) do not set anything down or pick anything up from the benches as you pass through to change your target.
2) if you decide to not go downrange, stay back behind the safety line.
3) if you decide to not go downrange, stay back behind the safety line.
4) do not set anything down or pick anything up from the benches as you pass through to change your target.
5) if you decide to not go downrange, stay back behind the safety line.
6) do not set anything down or pick anything up from the benches as you pass through to change your target.
7) do not set anything down or pick anything up from the benches as you pass through to change your target.
8) if you decide to not go downrange, stay back behind the safety line.
9) do not set anything down or pick anything up from the benches as you pass through to change your target.
10) if you decide to not go downrange, stay back behind the safety line.

Simple, no? :D

-- Michael

Gryff
09-29-2009, 12:04 AM

Definitely not IDPA. Chabot kicked us out four years ago.

Beautiful range. I was sad when IDPA got the boot.

Merc1138
09-29-2009, 12:32 AM

You may have heard tales from idiots. The only time I've ever seen someone there getting unfriendly with anyone, would be idiots that can't follow the range rules, and pay attention to the 10 tips that elSquid posted. Idiots messing with things on the table during a ceasefire got yelled at, idiots handling weapons at the table got yelled at by the RO's, over the intercom, and a lot of dirty looks from other people changing targets. Idiots setting up targets incorrectly(I'm not sure how you screw this one up) got yelled at.

That doesn't mean you'll get yelled at every time you break a rule. I've seen people get a polite talking to for bringing humanoid targets, not wearing eye and ear protection beyond the red line(just needed a reminder to put it back on). People uncasing rifles behind the line caught the attention of the RO and were pointed toward an empty table at the line to use. And lastly, some people getting asked to hurry up during target changes(chit-chatting at the target stands...)

Their rules are posted on the website, if you feel you can follow them, you aren't going to get yelled at or otherwise verbally abused.

Maybe the people you're hearing bad things about the place from on the street are the problem and not the range or it's RO's?

edit: There is one bad thing about chabot. The windy 2 lane road is kind of fun to drive with some nice views. HOWEVER, it is not fun driving when stuck behind a prius or a senior citizen in a buick that only wants to do 10mph. That's about the only bad thing I can think of regarding chabot

Steyr_223
09-30-2009, 10:48 PM
I like Chabot, I shoot there the most..One silly rule is no more then 2 rounds in an SKS..Any SKS..

Hornet_RN
10-01-2009, 3:49 AM
hey ya'lls...

i'm still pretty new to competition style shooting, at what range should i sight in my AR-15 for the shoot this coming sunday at the chabot range?

50 yrds?
100 yrds?

thanks,
hornet_rn

tba02
10-01-2009, 6:24 PM
After looking at the 10 items listed, I'm pretty sure I might like the place.
Richmond RnG is about is where I usually go, but chabot is about the smae distance.

elrcastor
10-01-2009, 6:44 PM
hey ya'lls...

i'm still pretty new to competition style shooting, at what range should i sight in my AR-15 for the shoot this coming sunday at the chabot range?

50 yrds?
100 yrds?

thanks,
hornet_rn

start out at 25yrds to get it in the black, the move on to 50 then 100 if you want

kf6tac
10-01-2009, 9:27 PM
That doesn't mean you'll get yelled at every time you break a rule.

As the folks at Chabot explain it, it's not that they want to yell at you anyway. They just need to talk loud to be heard over people's ear protection.

dexter9659
10-01-2009, 9:44 PM
Chabot is a great club as long as you follow the very basic rules. The staffers are very easy to get along with, and their is always an expert who can answer your Qs no more more than a stone throw away.

I would like to see a snack shack back up at Chabot like the days of old. Club wide activities would be nice too, such as BBQ day or pancake day.

Seeing more people shooting PPC and CCW would be great as well. Our numbers have dwindled from 25 per month to a fraction. New shooters and vets alike; your marksmanship skills will improve.

Southpaw45
10-03-2009, 8:15 AM
Seems I am not the only one that likes Chabot. I have tried Livermore and that is good also, but the pistol range is only 25 yds, I like Chabot as it has 7, 15 and 25 yds distances.

I was at Chabot on saturday and was lucky enough to catch an IDPA match, looks great fun and after a little more practise I intend to start competing!

At Livermore, you can post your targets closer if you like. You just grab the whole frame and drop it in the pipes that are sunk into the ground...

Nessal
10-05-2009, 1:42 PM
I have mix feelings about Chabot. I used to go there exclusively but now would rather drive the 45 minutes to Sunnyvale Gun and Rod. Although it's a smaller range, the people there are much better. Also their range layout makes more sense then Chabot. You can switch from 25yards to 50yards to 100 yards in the same lane. Only downside is that it's crowded especially in the morning.

Timberline
10-05-2009, 8:06 PM
Another shout out for Chabot. Great range, and safe. Love the setting and the ride in, but especially the early-morning cool air and friendly shooters.

bruceflinch
10-11-2009, 6:56 PM
Danvillred. Been to USI in Concord? Nice Facility.

www.unitedsportsmen.com

The Man in charge of the Action Pistol Range is a real nice guy! :)

Steyrlp10
10-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Danville, there's going to be the State Match later this month for International Bullseye. It's probably too slow for your taste, but I am the Donut Lady -- and the guys demand those pink boxes! We're going to be competing at Range 5 if you're in the neighborhood.

Rudy is running two matches that day, so I'm sure there will be a few of us on the line. Free is at 50 meters and Air will be at 10 meters.

Have fun at Chabot!

dwtt
10-12-2009, 3:55 PM

If you are interested in starting IPSC at Chabot, it's every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month. Good luck and have fun.
http://www.tasc-ipsc.org/

swerv512
10-12-2009, 5:32 PM
i only wish chabot had their 200 yd line open more....