PDA

View Full Version : Correct buffer for mid length gas system?

SoCalRandy
09-27-2009, 4:08 PM
I'm sure this has been covered a thousand times before but I did a search and can't find the answer I'm looking for. I have an AR-15 16" mid length upper receiver that I will be attatching to an OLL. I'm trying to gather up parts to assemble a lower receiver, is a regular carbine buffer appropriate for my application? Rainier Arms has the LMT 2.8 oz. standard, H2 and H3 buffers available. Which is the best choice? Also, on a side note... is this "M-15" lower parts kit compatible with an AR-15 OLL?

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1543

Thanks for any helpful suggestions!

Bowser
09-27-2009, 4:20 PM
Standard buffer, don't get a heavy buffer for midlength.

missiontrails
09-27-2009, 4:24 PM
Standard. Noveske uses H, but only they know exactaly how their upper is gased.

SoCalRandy
09-27-2009, 4:29 PM
Standard. Noveske uses H, but only they know exactaly how their upper is gased.

This is actually going on a Noveske Recce. You had a complete Recce rifle, right? It came with the H (heavy?) buffer installed from Noveske???

missiontrails
09-27-2009, 4:40 PM
This is actually going on a Noveske Recce. You had a complete Recce rifle, right? It came with the H (heavy?) buffer installed from Noveske???

Yes, 2 actually. ALL Noveske Carbine and Mid-length rifles are shipped with a "H.". So, you are probably fine with the H.

SoCalRandy
09-27-2009, 4:47 PM
Yes, 2 actually. ALL Noveske Carbine and Mid-length rifles are shipped with a "H.". So, you are probably fine with the H.

Ughh! I want order everything from one location so I don't spend a bunch of money on shipping... for some reason it looks like Rainier only has the standard, H2 and H3 buffers? No "H" buffer though... maybe I'll just try the standard and see how it works?

missiontrails
09-27-2009, 4:49 PM
Ughh! I want order everything from one location so I don't spend a bunch of money on shipping... for some reason it looks like Rainier only has the standard, H2 and H3 buffers? No "H" buffer though... maybe I'll just try the standard and see how it works?

That's where I bought mine, home of "Stickman.". Just curious, what else are you ordering? There has got to be a place that has everything.

SoCalRandy
09-27-2009, 4:55 PM
That's where I bought mine, home of "Stickman.". Just curious, what else are you ordering? There has got to be a place that has everything.

Bullet button, Armalite LPK, buffer, buffer spring... I already have the CTR stock and buffer tube from another build.

missiontrails
09-27-2009, 5:01 PM
Bullet button, Armalite LPK, buffer, buffer spring... I already have the CTR stock and buffer tube from another build.

Ahh, the Armalite LPK limits you... damn good kit. Try Global Tactical for your other odds and ends, they have free shipping on all orders until the end of the month.

818gtiguy
09-27-2009, 7:29 PM
I am running a standard carbine buffer with my BCM Middy. Zero malfs with around 4000rds..I think you will be fine with a standard buffer..

anothergunnut
09-27-2009, 8:16 PM
I have a CMMG 16 in mid-length with a CTR stock and an H buffer which works well. The CTR kit came with an H buffer so I never tried anything else.

SoCalRandy
09-27-2009, 8:50 PM
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1543[/url]

....Anybody???

hoffman259
09-27-2009, 9:57 PM
I have been running a H buffer in my BCM middy for a while now with 0 problems. Only reason I run it is because I'm to lazy to order another one.

818gtiguy
09-27-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm sure this has been covered a thousand times before but I did a search and can't find the answer I'm looking for. I have an AR-15 16" mid length upper receiver that I will be attatching to an OLL. I'm trying to gather up parts to assemble a lower receiver, is a regular carbine buffer appropriate for my application? Rainier Arms has the LMT 2.8 oz. standard, H2 and H3 buffers available. Which is the best choice? Also, on a side note... is this "M-15" lower parts kit compatible with an AR-15 OLL?

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1543

I think you are gtg with a standard or a H buffer..If it is a Noveske upper and Noveske recs a H buffer, I would use a H buffer..As for the parts kit,Yes you can use that on any AR15 OLL.. That is one of the better quality kits out there IMO..It comes with that cool lil box too....

pacrimguru
09-27-2009, 11:01 PM
i use H buffers for carbine and midlength gas systems with 14.5" and 16" barrels and they all run fine.

SoCalRandy
09-28-2009, 4:42 AM
As for the parts kit,Yes you can use that on any AR15 OLL.. That is one of the better quality kits out there IMO..It comes with that cool lil box too....

I was just thrown off by the "M-15" description they are using? I haven't seen that before...

B Strong
09-28-2009, 7:57 AM
On my Noveske Recce that I built I'm using a standard carbine buffer - no problems.

RECCE556
09-28-2009, 3:07 PM
I use H2's in my 14.5" and 16" carbine uppers. I have also used H2 in MID-length uppers with NO ISSUES. What I like about the H2's (along with a Colt "gold" extractor spring + O-ring) is that I get a nice strong ejection pattern at 5 o'clock and makes a nice little pile (about 10 feet away)

campperrykid
09-29-2009, 4:28 AM
Seems to depend on the specific mid-length and the ammo thats being used.
There are 3 mid-lengths at our house:
The Armalite with a standard carbine buffer runs 5.56 ( including the old South African milsurp ) 100% , but can get a little sluggish on Wolf. Cycles OK , but will fail to lock open with some mag's -- especially when dirty.

The CMMG 14.5 ran .223 fine with a carbine buffer but needed an "H" to handle the hotter South African 5.56 without a few jams. If it was already dirty , it would usually run --if it was freshly cleaned & lubed it would jam.

The CMMG 16 inch needed an 'H" to run most .223 without an occassional jam and would jam a lot with the carbine buffer & the South African 5.56. A combo of the H buffer and an full extractor upgrade fixed the problem.

wash
09-29-2009, 8:30 AM
For fixed stock people, I'll report that my Spikes 16" mid-length with a Sabre Defense barrel runs nice and smooth with a standard rifle buffer but I've only been feeding it Federal XM-193 and PMC Bronze so far.

Justintoxicated
09-29-2009, 2:19 PM
Seems to depend on the specific mid-length and the ammo thats being used.
There are 3 mid-lengths at our house:
The Armalite with a standard carbine buffer runs 5.56 ( including the old South African milsurp ) 100% , but can get a little sluggish on Wolf. Cycles OK , but will fail to lock open with some mag's -- especially when dirty.

The CMMG 14.5 ran .223 fine with a carbine buffer but needed an "H" to handle the hotter South African 5.56 without a few jams. If it was already dirty , it would usually run --if it was freshly cleaned & lubed it would jam.

The CMMG 16 inch needed an 'H" to run most .223 without an occassional jam and would jam a lot with the carbine buffer & the South African 5.56. A combo of the H buffer and an full extractor upgrade fixed the problem.

I thought the buffer was to reduce recoil and that going with too heavy of a buffer could potentially increase jams and FTFs. But according to this the heavier buffer reduced the problem? Wouldn't failures to lock open get worse, the heavier the buffer you put in?

I have a heavy buffer in my 16" carbine and standard in my 16" middie, but I used to run the heavy in the middie just fine, I just swapped it out with the one that was int he carbine since it was better suited for it. Both guns have Heavier and larger Nation Match Chrome M16 BCG's to push around as well.

aplinker
09-29-2009, 6:27 PM
a lot of times there's a mix of issues that people don't understand.

A properly built mid-length shouldn't need a heavy buffer.

Just FYI - a heavier buffer only reduces recoil because it reduces the velocity at which the carrier/buffer slams into the back of the receiver extension. There are a lot of reasons for why it is the way it is.

I think everyone could stand a bit more reading on how the AR operates again. ;)

campperrykid
09-30-2009, 3:33 AM
According to people who work on a lot of AR carbines:
CMMG middies often have somewhat larger than typical gasports & might need an H buffer to improve extraction /ejection with some 5.56 ammo.

That's an exception to the general rule ( or conventional wisdom ) about the right buffer for a middy. Think about factors like port pressure , size of gas port , and time/distance to the end of the barrel.

high_revs
10-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Noveske uses H, but only they know exactaly how their upper is gased.
this is also what Noveske told me for my 18" Noveske upper. Use H buffer.

hamster
11-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Bumping this back to the top.
If you get a semi BCG will you still be okay with a standard buffer on a mid-length gas system? Or, the assumption is that an auto BCG is being used?

jasonnorcal
11-28-2009, 1:19 PM
Standard buffer on a middy, H buffers are more for carbines from what I understand.

pratchett
11-28-2009, 2:00 PM
I got a Spike's HDTP buffer for my 18" middy. I haven't assembled the build yet, but I'm wondering if I'm going to have any problems.

campperrykid
11-28-2009, 2:11 PM
Depends.
On many factors. For example , an Auto BCG will add a little bit of wieght.
Pressure curve of the ammo matters. Extractor tension makes a difference.
The topic has been discussed at length on m4carbine.net.

pratchett
11-28-2009, 9:59 PM
I plan on getting a semi-auto bolt. I have the extractor upgrade, but I can choose not to use it if it causes problems. I'll check out m4carbine.net then.